PDA

View Full Version : Continuity of Care

LisaMcNally09
29-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I look after a little girl now one day a week and 2 evenings. Her mum has just rang me wanting to know if i can have her fulltime Mon-Fri 8-5 as she has been offered a new job!

The problem I have that on a Mon,Weds and Friday it takes me over my numbers from 10 until 2:30pm.

Just wondered if any quite new childminders have been granted a variation under continuity of care?? Ive only been minding 2 months. I have no over fives and i am registered for 2 under fives at any one time due to my own dd who is 3.

The other quandry im in is if i didnt get a variation! Have any of you given notice to part timers in way of full timers?? The part timer im thinknig of is the parent that is very unreliable with payment. I dont normally like the idea of this but I would be losing him in January anyway due to him starting nursery that i dont pick up from.

Help please im struggling:(

The Juggler
29-10-2009, 11:08 AM
well I have to say I would wait until mum has definately accepted the job. If you can't get a variation (Ofsted arent' keen with newly registered from what I can work out from the posts on here) then you need to consider the options. If mum with new job doesn't want to split the care, she may leave you and you are left with parttime mum who is not a good payer.

If things are really bad with the part-time mum's payment then I would consider giving notice. Especially if you've tried to tackle the problem and it's not getting better, use that as your reason.

However, in your shoes if part-time mum was not that bad, I would find it hard to give notice. I know we have to put business first but if we contracted to part-time care then I would not take that away because something better came along UNLESS there are circumstances which warrant it. Only you yourself can decide what is best for you/the children involved.

Sorry if that wasn't much help.:(

LisaMcNally09
29-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I cant decide what to do!!:(

Is there anywhere i can look for information about variations? Ive tried looking on Ofsteds website but cant find anything!

I dont really want to turn this down if i dont need to because of losing the part timer in January anyway

little miss chatterbox
29-10-2009, 12:54 PM
i would apply for the variation and see what happens they may well grant it as it's only until january.

But if i'm honest, I would let the part timer go in the place of a full time one but only because they are leaving in january. I think if you didn't know the part timer was leaving then I would find it hard ethically to let them go. However as you know they are going I don't think it's all that wrong.

However, the only problem I can see with it is continuity of care for the part timer. You could well be letting him go so he will have to go to another childminder (potentially) but only until january. That might be a lot of upheavel for him.

but then on the other hand you don't want to let the full timer go and then have the partimer leave in 3 months!

angiemog
29-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I have just applied for a variation for one day a week until January. I called them and was told to fill out the form. When I read through it, it says that if you haven't had an inspection yet then they will come and inspect you before a variation will be granted. I have heard different though that some have been granted without inspections to new minders. This week I have had a call to say they are coming to do my 1st inspection. She mentioned that my variation request is being looked at. So I think it probably depends on who looks at it. I knew my 1st inspection was due but whether this triggered an earlyinspection I don't know. Sorry that probably hasn't been much help. Good Luck x

madasahatter
29-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I would ring ofsted and ask for the variation request forms. As you have said it would only be temporary until your part-timer leaves, and the variation would come under continuity of care for the child who's mum has been offered a better job.

Pudding Girl
29-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Apply in the meantime but if it came to it that due to it being delayed, or not granted and that you would lose a full timer over a part timer who is leaving you in 2 months anyway, especially as sounds liek there are issues in place already - then sorry but I run a business.

LisaMcNally09
29-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Im gonna apply and see what happens. Im not bothered about an early inspection. Im all up to date with everything and feeling in a routine so thats all fine.

Ill cross the bridge of giving notice to part timer as and when i need to. Im not gonna lose this full timer if i really dont have to because like ive said i know im losing the part timer in january anyway.

Thanks everyone!

LisaMcNally09
29-10-2009, 03:28 PM
i would apply for the variation and see what happens they may well grant it as it's only until january.

But if i'm honest, I would let the part timer go in the place of a full time one but only because they are leaving in january. I think if you didn't know the part timer was leaving then I would find it hard ethically to let them go. However as you know they are going I don't think it's all that wrong.

However, the only problem I can see with it is continuity of care for the part timer. You could well be letting him go so he will have to go to another childminder (potentially) but only until january. That might be a lot of upheavel for him.

but then on the other hand you don't want to let the full timer go and then have the partimer leave in 3 months!

The thing is part timers mum doesnt work:eek: She sends the lo to me for a break!:D