PDA

View Full Version : Summary observations - do we need to do them?

sarah707
29-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I have just been asked this question by a member via pm, so I thought I would share my reply here.

I hope it makes sense :D

There are 2 types of observations / assessments -

1 is called 'formative' (daily or weekly or whatever you're doing at the moment);

The other is known as 'summative' (summary / progress report / collection of 'I can do' statements).

You would normally do a summary / progress report or whatever you call it every term or every 6 months or maybe for a very part timer annually.

It would be a brief outline of the child's major achievements across the 6 areas of learning and development...

Followed by a few brief statements on how you intend to help the child achieve more (ideas for next steps).

This is shared with parents and the child and their comments are recorded.

You then all work together to take the child's learning and development forward.

It all forms part of the child's learning journey.

It is not a statutory requirement... nobody is saying you must or have to do this kind of thing...

BUT it is good practice and the reason the member was asking is because she wants to earn Ofsted brownie points :D

Pipsqueak
29-10-2009, 09:43 AM
yes I do summatives - termly!

PixiePetal
29-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Termly I have a page in their learning file saying 'based on obs and achievments these will be next steps' I look back at what we did in different areas and see what would bring them on each area as an aim for the next term.

Not very formal but shows a progression and that the obs had a purpose.

No right or wrong so I am doing what suits, guess Ofsted will tell me when I next get inspection :rolleyes:

Winnie
29-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I do one about 6 weeks after a child starts so i have an idea of where to go in terms of next steps. I'm doing termly ones too but these will be much more basic from now on because the local authority issued guidence & it seems they are looking for something quite brief & simple :rolleyes: which is fine with me :D

nannymcflea
31-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I did them monthly along with the next steps and planning,though some months there was little need as being so young some didn't change and it was tricky to know where they had progressed so if I saw no great change I left it for another month.

miss mopple
01-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I do the quarterly and get parents to write some feedback too :thumbsup: