PDA

View Full Version : Childs Speech

patevans
29-10-2009, 07:56 AM
A - 15 months is not saying any words other than my name, Mum, tar, that for whats that and hoover, Mum is quite worried.

What can I and Mum do to bring on his speech a bit?

Straws
29-10-2009, 08:02 AM
You are probably doing everything you can, rhyme time, reading books, ect I have this dvd its good for ideas http://www.btbetterworld.com/pg/developing_skills/free_resources/Chatter_Matters_Family_Pack/home.ikml hope the link works

Straws;) xx

tammerisk
29-10-2009, 08:06 AM
blow bubbles and just keep talking to her

i have some speack threopy sheet if you would like me to email them to you pm me your email and if you go to

you could also ring the dcsf and get a copy of letters and sound
principles and practice of high quality phonicsfor the early years age group i got a copy for a little one i working with

#the ref numberis 00113-2008PCK-EN

Pipsqueak
29-10-2009, 08:21 AM
check out the ICan website for starters.

I wouldn't worry too much about the childs speech - some children are just listeners and then all of a sudden the speech pops out and you can't shut them up! lol

Is the childs hearing good/ok? Do they have an appropriate level of understanding for their age?

Lots of reading stories together, (switch of other distractions when possible - get rid of dummy if child has one), make sure you have the childs attention when you are speaking to them where possible - get down to their level, let them see your lips moving, facial gestures etc, use visual prompts where possible - 'do you want a drink' - while you are holding a cup - 'yes blue cup', use simple simple sentances, ensure that you listen to teh child when they talk - even just babbling and hold a 'conversation' - the turn taking of talk, sing songs with action rhymes - basically everything you'd normally do!:thumbsup:

patevans
29-10-2009, 08:50 AM
check out the ICan website for starters.

I wouldn't worry too much about the childs speech - some children are just listeners and then all of a sudden the speech pops out and you can't shut them up! lol

Is the childs hearing good/ok? Do they have an appropriate level of understanding for their age?

Lots of reading stories together, (switch of other distractions when possible - get rid of dummy if child has one), make sure you have the childs attention when you are speaking to them where possible - get down to their level, let them see your lips moving, facial gestures etc, use visual prompts where possible - 'do you want a drink' - while you are holding a cup - 'yes blue cup', use simple simple sentances, ensure that you listen to teh child when they talk - even just babbling and hold a 'conversation' - the turn taking of talk, sing songs with action rhymes - basically everything you'd normally do!:thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry too much about the childs speech - some children are just listeners and then all of a sudden the speech pops out and you can't shut them up! lol I have said this to Mum but now I can show her these posts she might feel a bit more at ease :thumbsup:

Is the childs hearing good/ok? Do they have an appropriate level of understanding for their age? He is into everything knows how to work the tv, the washing machine, hoover etc loves pressing buttons on everything. He loves dancing to music and loves listening to story books, he's obsessed with pushing and pulling everything, his hearing is absolutely fine. He watched me wind the baby the other day then did exactly the same on my back :laughing: he can feed himself etc I have no concerns

singlewiththree
29-10-2009, 09:28 AM
The 19mth I mind only says mamma, woof and bye I'm starting to get concerned as he is coming to the end of the 16-20mth development chart and hasn't reached all the goals yet. I just keep talking to him and he is starting to repeat so we are getting there, he is a very active child and I put it down to the fact her has a lot of older siblings and is constantly on the move.

PixiePetal
29-10-2009, 09:41 AM
15 months is still very young and if he has a good level of understanding in other ways then I would not be worried. Keep on talking, questioning and giving time for replies, sing, stories - all the things we do all the time.

I have known children who have been talking in sentences by 16 months and others (my DS included) who were at a push to say the 20+ words asked of him at his 18 month+ check. When he started playgroup at nearly 3, he was still not very clear - a bit lazy :rolleyes: (and very laid back :) ) too. It all took off big time after that.

patevans
30-10-2009, 05:49 PM

i have some speack threopy sheet if you would like me to email them to you pm me your email and if you go to

principles and practice of high quality phonicsfor the early years age group i got a copy for a little one i working with

Thanks for this, its on order :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
30-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Is she a second child? My youngest had a few words at that age mummy,more,dad....after her sister went to school the september after her speech went into scentences and she flew through her 2 year old check with flying colours.

All kids are different, I've had silent ones age 2 and chatterboxes aged 1. All have been fine when they have gone to pre-school and school.

patevans
30-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Is she a second child? My youngest had a few words at that age mummy,more,dad....after her sister went to school the september after her speech went into scentences and she flew through her 2 year old check with flying colours.

All kids are different, I've had silent ones age 2 and chatterboxes aged 1. All have been fine when they have gone to pre-school and school.

He's the youngest of 3 but the two eldest dont live with him.

Zoomie
30-10-2009, 07:35 PM

sorry, why cant i find this ?

Pipsqueak
30-10-2009, 07:58 PM

just put in Letters and Sounds

patevans
30-10-2009, 08:07 PM

http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/default.aspx?PageFunction=productdetails&PageMode=publications&ProductId=DFES-00422-2007&

Princess Sara
30-10-2009, 08:47 PM
My 16 month old doesn't really say a word. He kind of say der-der when he give you things or wants you to do something, should I be worried?! He said my-mumum once or twice, and dad, but literally once or twice and quite a while ago now.

I though as he is so forward with everything else he does (crawled at 5 months, first steps at 9 months) the speech would just follow later.

I wasn't concerned until now!

tammerisk
31-10-2009, 07:52 AM
it is nothing to be concerned about babberling and word don't come till lots later if you are unsure check the EYFS is says about a few words but nothing more.

so long as they are making there needs known and comunicating in some form it is fine.

the 16 month old i have only babbles no words that i can hear but that might be she is speacking her home language!!! which is not english

my own 22 months old only says about 10 words if that and they are not al together that clear.

if parent is worried get her to speak to hv and see what they think

youarewhatyoueat
31-10-2009, 09:31 AM
15 months, flipping heck I wouldn't worry, my own children spoke all at different ages, I had one that spoke at 3ish, had a stutter at 4 and spoke like an adult at 5, sorry don't get the problem. Children are all individual, its the holistic developmant thats more important, if they can start to understand a few things, they can't develop everything at once. Just do what you're doing and things will develop.
I'm currently minding 2 18 month olds and a 15 month old. One of whom barely utters a word,literally he is so quiet, but can follow instructions and gets enjoyment out of activities, so got to be honest i'm not concerned at all.

Joannechildmind
31-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Up until a month ago my mindie (18 mths) was hardly saying a word,it was worrying me too, she said mum dad, cat. That was it, she gradulayy started to say my name then a few others and last week she was repeating everything i was saying, bless her. I think sometimes it takes them a bit longer they will only do it when they are ready.
My other mindie (13mths) is saying loads lol everyone is different.

patevans
21-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Parent is still stressing about this childs speech, she is comparing him to her neice who is the same age.

He says -

Emma
Mum
Dad
Jack
Dog
Cat
Gone
Ta
Sofa
Bye Bye

and a few more!

teacake2
21-01-2010, 06:15 PM
The two little ones I look after at the moment hardly say anything, they are 17 and 18 months, they probably have 12 words between them, but I am not worried, it will come in time, they understand things, they point at things and make sounds and their hearing is fine. The parents of one of them used to panic over their older child I used to look after (he is nearly 4 now) because he was nearly 2 before he said anything, again they were comparing him to a relative's child, I told them it will come and not to worry, they can't get him to stop talking now so are not really worried about the younger one when I remind them what "I" used to be like.
Teacake2

patevans
21-01-2010, 06:22 PM
this is what I keep trying to explain but she is comparing him to others, he is obsessed with electricals - he can switch the tv on with the remote, he can plug a hoover in switch it on and use it, he can work a camera etc and he's not even 2!!