PDA

View Full Version : Male Childminders - What do you think?

David Sheppard
29-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi all,

I hope Pauline doesn't mind but I'd like to throw open some questions, which could potentially raise some contentious debate. It is clearly very close to my chest - not least because I, and the few other men in the Early Years world, are very much in the minority here.

I have worked in some male dominated arenas and have seen this coin from the other side. Now that role is reversed I genuinely would like to know what you all think about men entering EY.

Do you think we should be trying to emulate the many excellent female role models, or bring something different to the table?

Are you uncomfortable with the more authoritarian, rather that facilitating, approach men generally have? And should men in this field learn to be more accommodating rather than direct?

Do you even feel that men should be here in the first place?

I would welcome all of your thoughts and would hope to learn a great deal from addressing, directly, the concerns or otherwise, you may have.

Regards,

David

angeldelight
29-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I can not see what the difference is - apart from the obvious :laughing: :laughing:

I have no view either way sorry - how boring ha ha

I just see a male childminder in the same light that I see a female one its never bothered me in the slightest

I have no objection to there being male minders and why should we have?

What about you then David has it been a sore point for you - have you had woman childminders that have had a problem with it

Do you ask the question for a reason or are you just curious ?

Angel xx

Straws
29-10-2009, 07:39 AM
I agree with Angel, I met a male childminder on a course a couple of months ago, before the course started we introduced ourselves.

When it came round to him introducing himself, he said I know what you are all thinking what is he doing here, he must be some perv if he wants to care for children.

We were all horrified as it never crossed my mind and am sure the other CM's minds once.

I would place my child with a male childminder, because I know males are just as caring and capable as females.

Straws xx

sweets
29-10-2009, 07:44 AM
we have a male childminder as part of our group of friends and he is brilliant, the babies especcially love him! he works with his wife who persuaded him to give up his job and become a CM and he loves it. they are always full.

But please dont shout at me:blush: i am sorry but if i was choosing a cm i really dont know if i would choose a man. i like to think i would as it really shouldnt make a difference but im not sure:blush: if he worked as part of a team with his wife i would have no hesitation but if i worked on his own i just dont know!:blush: sorry but just being honest.

David Sheppard
29-10-2009, 07:47 AM
I do have a number of reasons for asking, but mostly because I haven't ever had the chance to ask this of a forum where the majority of contibutors are childminders rather than perspective parents.

I hope you don't mind but I would rather not write my personal thoughts yet as this might flavour the opinions of others who may contribute.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pudding Girl
When it came round to him introducing himself, he said I know what you are all thinking what is he doing here, he must be some perv if he wants to care for children.

I am partly sad that a man should have to justify his reasoning for being there, but also very very annoyed that a man would presume that we (women) were all thinking that of him. A lot of assumptions that don't do any favours.

There's only one local male CM and I've only met him once on training, not sure that he joins in much tbh which is sad. Mind you there's plenty female CM that don't either so.... ?

My views on male CMs are no different than other minority groups really. I think it's a good thing to have all sections of soceity reflected in childcare and education :)

angeldelight
But please dont shout at me:blush: i am sorry but if i was choosing a cm i really dont know if i would choose a man. i like to think i would as it really shouldnt make a difference but im not sure:blush: if he worked as part of a team with his wife i would have no hesitation but if i worked on his own i just dont know!:blush: sorry but just being honest.

Would not shout at you :laughing: :laughing:

I think a lot of parents have that view - just out of interest though what would put you off having a male minder ?

Angel xxx

Pudding Girl
29-10-2009, 07:48 AM
David, may I ask you a question?

How do you find potential parents react to you being a male CM at initial contact? Do you think you get as many calls as the other CM in your area or do you feel pre-judged and that people don't call you?

angeldelight
29-10-2009, 07:49 AM

How do you find potential parents react to you being a male CM at initial contact? Do you think you get as many calls as the other CM in your area or do you feel pre-judged and that people don't call you?

Good question

Angel xx

angeldelight
29-10-2009, 07:50 AM
I do have a number of reasons for asking, but mostly because I haven't ever had the chance to ask this of a forum where the majority of contibutors are childminders rather than perspective parents.

I hope you don't mind but I would rather not write my personal thoughts yet as this might flavour the opinions of others who may contribute.

Thanks for your thoughts.

:laughing: :laughing:

Very clever David !!

Look forward to your comments though

Angel xx

jelly15
29-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Men can be great teachers, caring fathers so therefore good CMs.

helenlc
29-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Do you think we should be trying to emulate the many excellent female role models, or bring something different to the table?
I think you should just follow a good example, regardless of male or female. I think every one strives to offer something different ie their unique selling point. What do you have in mind when you say about a male bringing something different? I do DIY in my house and have my own tools so could do woodwork crafts with a child. I play football and watch it and know all the rules (more than my husband actually!:laughing: ) so could host a football game with my mindees.

Are you uncomfortable with the more authoritarian, rather that facilitating, approach men generally have? And should men in this field learn to be more accommodating rather than direct?
I have to plead ignorance on this one as I dont know any male child care workers so have not witnessed if they deliver themselves in a different manner. I did go to college with 2 men that were on my child care course. I wouldnt say either of them were more authoritarian than us females. I am more authorative than my husband in my house with the children. I know some men can be more direct and less accomodating with children but again I dont think this is true in all cases. If a male was not accomodating enough, then maybe child care isnt for him. This also goes for any females who are not accomdating as well though.

I have no qualms about men being in the child care field. There are plenty of females who shouldnt be!! Nobody really worries about whether their child has a male or female teacher. I think it comes down to what you can offer, regardless of gender. There are plenty of dads these days who are stay at home dads, so I dont see what difference it makes for a male to be offering child care as well.

Hope that helps a bit?:D

sweets
29-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Would not shout at you :laughing: :laughing:

I think a lot of parents have that view - just out of interest though what would put you off having a male minder ?

Angel xxx

i really dont know:blush: i wouldnt be anything daft like i thought he was a perv or something like that. as i say the male CM i know is brill, but i know him! and wouldnt have any hesitation of him looking after my child,but i know him quite well. it would be different with a stranger.

angeldelight
29-10-2009, 07:55 AM
i really dont know:blush: i wouldnt be anything daft like i thought he was a perv or something like that. as i say the male CM i know is brill, but i know him! and wouldnt have any hesitation of him looking after my child,but i know him quite well. it would be different with a stranger.

I think a few if they are honest will have your view my daughters work in a nursery and they have just had a male student and a lot of parents were not happy about it

Maybe its because many are so used to woman being in this role and they do not like changes?

Angel xxx

Pudding Girl
29-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Don't know if David or any of the other male CM here have found this but when I am at conferences/training and also when there is a male nursery nurse at school etc - some women seem to go gaga over them :rolleyes: very cringeworthy.

kindredspirits
I think that it is a prejudiced role - but one that should be challenged. My husband is my assistant and is amazing with the kids. I think some children would benefit from a strong male role model - but a lot of parents would think twice about sending their kids on the off chance that a male childminder was 'a perv' to use the other mans language - which in realitity is so stupid because 1) you get women in the childcare industry that can and do abuse - as we've seen in the news recently and 2) the chance of a man choosing that career option suggests that they are strong and self-assured of themselves to go into a female dominated area (which is often percieved to be a 'soft option' as a job.)

I think anyone that gets annoyed with a man becoming a childminder is frankly rather bizarre - its none of their business at the end of the day - if the parents want to use the service and the childminder wants to offer it then i don't see the problem.

JMO tho! :thumbsup:

angeldelight
Don't know if David or any of the other male CM here have found this but when I am at conferences/training and also when there is a male nursery nurse at school etc - some women seem to go gaga over them :rolleyes: very cringeworthy.

Yeah I have seen that ha ha :laughing:

Angel xx

LisaMcNally09
i dont really have a view....we have no male childminders in my town so have never had to think about if i would use one.

Sat here now i would like to think i would choose between them on there own merits. Its hard though...i suppose it depends on the feeling i got when i went to visit. Just the same as a female cm. I certainly would go and visit a male cm...it wouldnt stop me ringing them.

Sorry not much help but an interesting question

Pipsqueak
29-10-2009, 08:15 AM
In my specific area (that I support) of town - there are 2 male childminders - both of them work with their wives and they are fabulous within the team AND on their own. Both of them are enthusiastic, care deeply about what they are doing and I do think they bring something new and fresh - from what I have observed the women are the organisers of the team, the nurturers and the men - particuarly one of them is the 'go-getter' lets run round the garden and make noise, push you high on the swing (he is very aware of safety!).

Throughout our town there is a total of 4 male minders, two of them work alone and there is also another male coming through the registration process. My DH is quite willing to register as my assistant when I get round to doing it- the kids love him to pieces.

I have never had a problem with blokes in the Early Years and I would never think 'whats he doing here', I actually agree that there needs to be more fellas encouraged into it.

I have not come across an authorative bloke (in Early Years) - assertive and believing in themselves - yes! I find that men have more confidence in what they do and in running and applying their business.

I would have no hesitation in leaving my children with either of the 2 (male) minders in my area - as I know their practice and beliefs. In choosing a minder - I have high standards lol and there are only a few I would actually use (my youngest goes to one while I am at uni)

tammerisk
29-10-2009, 08:16 AM
i think male childminders and ey worker are great idea i would love to have a male assistant with me just cause some things i just can't understand as a women and men can we are different by nature in the way we think the way we act and the way we react to thing.
i would love to change the fact that men are seen as the strong not emotonal type i find it very reasuring and comforting to find a man that is caring and emotional and not afaid to express his feelings or to 'cry'.
i would love children to learn this to presenting 'femanine' qualitiels and vise verse is a strength in my opion i try hard to be both but it is hardto and children need good role models for both male and female
and may be if more men were in the childcare feild boy would feel differently wjen they grow up and have children of there own about staying at home and looking after there children or taking on more responsablity when it comes to careing for and provideing for there children

chels55
29-10-2009, 08:24 AM
We have no childminders in our area but would just like to say There are a lot of children who don't have any male role models in their lives and i know for me personally when i was looking for childcare when my son was 3 years old if there was a male childminder in my area i would have definatly would have been interested. I would have gone with the BEST childminder male/female reguardless

uf353432
29-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I certainly don't think men should try to emulate women in the childminding role, that would infer that they were not being themselves and if you are not being yourself - then you would struggle to be consistent. I used to think that women were stronger at the empathy, emotional support and natural 'mothering' instinct. But having met a fair few female childminders and mothers - women having these skills seem to be on the decline as they too become absorbed in a male dominated world and want to emulate men in the workplace.

Men on the other hand seem to be picking up these skills very rapdily and whilst I don't have first hand experience of male childminders I do know alot of dads who make fabulous attentive and empathetic fathers, who on balance are more 'maternal' than their partners.

We have witnessed in the news for some time now the number of women abusers is alarmingly high, so I think the potential stigma of men being in this profession is falling away quite rapidly.

There are many families in society where relationships have broken down, or fathers work very long hours, or fathers have passed away or any other reason why a child would need a strong male role model.

Do they need to be or are they more authoritarian? I don't know that its true I have very clear boundaries, I have my stern voice which I use to great effect.

I don't actually know why it has to boil down to male or female, surely its more accurate to let it boil down to personal traits like confident/under confident, capable/incapable, kind/unkind?

Minstrel
29-10-2009, 08:51 AM
I think a few if they are honest will have your view my daughters work in a nursery and they have just had a male student and a lot of parents were not happy about it

Maybe its because many are so used to woman being in this role and they do not like changes?

Angel xxx

Dont shout but...

I agree with sweets a little but again not for the pervy issue.

Its more like the feeling some people get when they get a a plane and find out they have a female pilot. Very sexist i know and they are more than capable of the job but its more of an 'Eek :eek: are they sure they know what they are doing?' feeling??

Maybe its more to do with the men I know. :rolleyes:

sarah707
29-10-2009, 08:52 AM
My partner is a registered childminder so I have to say how wonderful they are...

AND what a credit they are to the profession :cool:

My parents have been perfectly happy with the arrangement of the 2 of us working together.

It's great for me because he does lots of outdoorsy stuff.

I am in charge of admin which I would be anyway... he cooks :D

angeldelight
29-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I do think that in general a parent is happy for a male to be helping with the children if they are working with their wife ie being an assistant

Just that some parents seem to have a problem if it is a male working alone - not sure if you have come across this David

Angel xx

The Juggler
29-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't know any male CM's outside of the forum or any male childcare workers come to that. However, my original CDO (who ran the network years ago BEFORE it was disbanded) had been a CM and was fab.

I do not/would not think any differently of them to a female CM other than to be curious as to what inspired them as it's unusual for a man to move from employment to self-employment of this type rather than woman. I believe that a lot of men outside of childcare would see it as a man doing "woman's work" but maybe I am not giving credit to the male population as a whole and things have changed more than I thought.

However, I would also see parent's viewpoints and concerns over a male minder working alone (as unfair as that is) and could see that it might pose more issues for male CM's filling places than females. A shame really as we all know there is some terrible practice out there and it would be shame to miss out on a fab male CM because of concerns of this nature and place your child instead with a mediocre/demotivated female minder.

However, the more the better I think David.

Dotty
29-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi

My hubby is also a registered childminder and we work together. We both have other part time jobs and childmind after school for 3 hours a day.

It is great and the mindees love the fact that they have him around - especially the ones from broken families who need a male role model around them at the moment. The parents approve and couldn't be happier.

I generally do the planning, and organising of activities and my dh does the cooking. Although we do take it in turns.

It is brill and we do enjoy ourselves but if we have an off afternoon it's good to off-load at the end of the day and reassure each other!! :clapping: for male childminders!!!

David Sheppard
29-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Hi,

I have never personally had any negative reactions to being a male childminder, completely the opposite actually. I am childminding with my wife unlike those mentioned elsewhere in this thread who work alone - I don't know if that influences opinion.

We are always full and both of us receive continuing enquiries for placements. Most of the requests come directly from my childminding website and I have had specific requests to childmind where the parent quoted my EYP status as the reason for selecting me.

Thanks for your questions and input.

David

Blue Boy
29-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I have been registered for the past 9 years but only the last 2 on a full time basis. I have never had any problem with parents infact on many occassions when they phone us they quiet often ask for me rather than Sally even if she has answered the phone.
As someone else said many children do not have a male role model in their life so I can help fill this void. As long as you show an understaning and professional approach you should have no problems. By attending training courses and placing the certificate in your portfolio this will show parents and other colleagues how committed you are. I have been the only male on courses and have been looked at, but when I have seen the same people on the next one they always come up and speak to me.
I have recently taken on the role as a Support Childminder in which I help new mindees to get their feet under the table.
i gave up a very good 35 year career with the Met Police to take up minding on a full time basis and it is the best thing I have ever done.
David if you have any doubts, just make sure that you are professional and be the best you can. Parents and colleagues will accept you.

Mick

CherryBlossom
29-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi David,

I don't think men should be trying to do anything different. at the end of the day male or female your job is to look after a Child in the best possible way.
There is no right or wrong way of doing this (obviously I mean as long as you are treating the child properly etc) but your approach is down to choice. some people might like a young, fun minder others a more older, wiser minder.

Again, i think it is down to the individual i have seen men and women Childcarers who are very strict, but then again men who are more laid back and nurturing.

Of course! I feel it is important that we show Children that it does not matter what sex you are, or what religion, shape or size you are-that you should be able to do whatever job you choose. We are all equal.
I think men Childcarers are looked at differently by alot of people, but for some Children a male role model in life is very improtant and maybe the only one they will have!

David Sheppard
29-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I have been registered for the past 9 years but only the last 2 on a full time basis. I have never had any problem with parents infact on many occassions when they phone us they quiet often ask for me rather than Sally even if she has answered the phone.
As someone else said many children do not have a male role model in their life so I can help fill this void. As long as you show an understaning and professional approach you should have no problems. By attending training courses and placing the certificate in your portfolio this will show parents and other colleagues how committed you are. I have been the only male on courses and have been looked at, but when I have seen the same people on the next one they always come up and speak to me.
I have recently taken on the role as a Support Childminder in which I help new mindees to get their feet under the table.
i gave up a very good 35 year career with the Met Police to take up minding on a full time basis and it is the best thing I have ever done.
David if you have any doubts, just make sure that you are professional and be the best you can. Parents and colleagues will accept you.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

Well done to you. I agree, this is a very fulfilling career move. And, it doesn't surprise me at all that you feel the way do about childminding.

I don't have any doubts, and hope I am professional. My questions are somewhat hypothetical based upon other information I have gathered from forums like Netmums, reading widely across the subject and points that have been voiced to me directly whilst I have been running professional support groups.

It is great to have your views, and everyone elses. One of my reasons for raising them is that I have a continuing interest in understanding the perspective of all sides in Early Years. I have never had the chance to offer these types of questions to a forum of childminders before and welcomed the wide response.

Thanks again,

David Sheppard EYP

Roseolivia
29-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

I hope Pauline doesn't mind but I'd like to throw open some questions, which could potentially raise some contentious debate. It is clearly very close to my chest - not least because I, and the few other men in the Early Years world, are very much in the minority here.

I have worked in some male dominated arenas and have seen this coin from the other side. Now that role is reversed I genuinely would like to know what you all think about men entering EY.

Do you think we should be trying to emulate the many excellent female role models, or bring something different to the table? I think all childminders whether they are male or female should just be themselves. We all have different aspects to our personalities that parents/children/childminders will either like or dislike.

Are you uncomfortable with the more authoritarian, rather that facilitating, approach men generally have? And should men in this field learn to be more accommodating rather than direct? Do men have an authoritarian approach?? I think most childminders have this approach as well as being a facilitator. If we didn't the children would 'have our lives'.

Do you even feel that men should be here in the first place? Of course, why not??? Should women be in the building trade?? Same question isn't it, i think years ago there were the 'traditional' jobs but society now is much more accepting and men and women have lots to offer in all jobs.

I would welcome all of your thoughts and would hope to learn a great deal from addressing, directly, the concerns or otherwise, you may have.

Regards,

David

We have a male minder in our town but i've never met him. I think it's a shame if men felt they couldn't do this job because of what people think. When i was at college (18yrs ago) one of my friends in class was male and he was the only one doing the NNEB. He was great with the kids and he never had anyone say anything about his vocation.

Daddy Day Care
29-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Im a newly registered male childminder, well I say newly been registered since june now and am yet to have a mindee signed with me. I dont work with my wife she works full time at the local hospital.

I have found it hard work and a struggle to find people who are happy to send there child to a male childminder. I have a lot of childminder friends and its these people that encouraged me to be a childminder after seeing what I was like at the various groups I go to.

I know on several occasion now when they have had enquireies that they couldnt do they have passed my number on but 4 times out of 5 I dont get a call.

One childminder I know picks up from my daughters school, the gil is in the same class as my daughter and they are friends. This childminder went on maternity leave 3 weeks ago and asked if I had the space to take this girl and her sister on. Only after school for a couple of hours a day. I said i ahd the psace and she siad great she would give her my number and get her to call me. when she gave her my number the mum said " umm err umm I dont mind a male childminder but dont think my husband would like it" unfortunately a lot of people seem to think that around here.

I know of two other male minders in my town there may be more but both these work with there wifes and that seems to help with them.

If the 5 months ive been registered ive had 1 parent coem and see me, and afterwards she told me she had already chosen her minder before her visit to me, but just wanted to go through with the visit to be sure.

I am loosing my enthusiasm for the job, ive been given loads of advice on this fantastic forum about advetising but that hasnt helped, and as I said I have lots of minders regulary giving out my details.

I am fantastic with children, anyobdy that knows me will tell you this, im just not being given the chance to show this.

Gareth

David Sheppard
29-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I am loosing my enthusiasm for the job, ive been given loads of advice on this fantastic forum about advetising but that hasnt helped, and as I said I have lots of minders regulary giving out my details.

I am fantastic with children, anyobdy that knows me will tell you this, im just not being given the chance to show this.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thank you so much for that honest account of your current situation. Please don't give up even though it must be really disheartening to be in your current position.

Have you a network coordinator in your area. I would strongly recommend that you try to get involved with things like community childminding placements as these would allow you to build up your business and 'show' others exactly how good you are with children.

I am sure your account here will have touched the hearts of everyone who reads it.

Thanks again,

David

Mouse
29-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Im a newly registered male childminder, well I say newly been registered since june now and am yet to have a mindee signed with me. I dont work with my wife she works full time at the local hospital.

I have found it hard work and a struggle to find people who are happy to send there child to a male childminder. I have a lot of childminder friends and its these people that encouraged me to be a childminder after seeing what I was like at the various groups I go to.

I know on several occasion now when they have had enquireies that they couldnt do they have passed my number on but 4 times out of 5 I dont get a call.

One childminder I know picks up from my daughters school, the gil is in the same class as my daughter and they are friends. This childminder went on maternity leave 3 weeks ago and asked if I had the space to take this girl and her sister on. Only after school for a couple of hours a day. I said i ahd the psace and she siad great she would give her my number and get her to call me. when she gave her my number the mum said " umm err umm I dont mind a male childminder but dont think my husband would like it" unfortunately a lot of people seem to think that around here.

I know of two other male minders in my town there may be more but both these work with there wifes and that seems to help with them.

If the 5 months ive been registered ive had 1 parent coem and see me, and afterwards she told me she had already chosen her minder before her visit to me, but just wanted to go through with the visit to be sure.

Gareth

Gareth, I think it's a real shame that you are struggling so much to get work. I know you've had lots of advice about advertising, but have you thought about contacting your local paper & seeing if they'd do a short article on you? It might spark some curiosity & interest.

I do think there is a huge difference in male childminders who work with their wife/partner and those who work alone.

Some people seem naturally suspicious of a man wanting to be a lone childminder, but absolutely love the idea of a husband & wife team. They see the advantages a man can bring to a joint setting, but don't seem to see that he would also bring these benefits to his own setting.

Sadly I think a lot of the attitudes are so ingrained in human nature that they are going to be hard to change :(

Blackhorse
29-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi !!

I am going to try and explain what I think but I am finding it very difficult and it is obviously a touchy subject and I dont want to look like I am sexist or prejudiced. I am just trying to write down as honest as I can what I think. So please also dont shoot me...(In Sweets' words!! :) )

I have discussed this with my mum recently as we somehow came onto the subject..
I think it is great that if a man wants to work with kids he has the chance to do it. And I had some great teachers in school and a lot of them were male and they were fab.
If I am perfectly honest though I think I would hesitate to send my dd to a male childminder...saying that I would hesitate sending her to any childminder, but somehow I would feel more comfortable with her being around another woman....
My mum said she feels that men can be great with kids but she isn't so sure about them when the LOs are still babies. She thinks that women would have a better instinct to work with the very little ones.
I am not saying that is the case and there are obviously woman out there that dont and men that do

but I think it is probably the case that some people might not be 100% at ease with the idea of having a male cm....
Maybe once you meet them in person you would change your mind as you see how they deal with the kids etc...

on the other hand I think maybe that if I was a single mum and I would want my dd to have a male role model in her life, that a male cm would be perfect...iyswim...

I think it is hard as femal to go into a male dominated job and vice versa the same....

I studied bioligy and we did a lot on behaviour and differences between the genders...(not just he obvious ones Angel pointed out...:jump for joy: )
and in my opinion there are a few things in life guys are better at then woman and the other way round...and I dont mean this in a negative/ sexist way and I mean that there is a tendency for example for guys to be stronger then females...but that doesnt mean that there arent enough females that are stronger than loads of men...

same with cm I think...some guys will be the perfect childminders as this is what they want to do and this is what they are really good at...at the same time there will be loads of guys that wouldnt want to be a cm in the first place as it isnt their interest...they still might be great dads, but wouldnt want to be a cm...not just because it is a female dominated area, but because they are just not interested...

this may sound silly but on the same principles that I tried to describe above I would feel better if amale fire fighter come to put out a fire in my house...not saying that women cant do it I am sure there are brilliant femal fire fighters out there...it is just again a personal perception thing I think!

sorry for the long story and I hope I havent offended. I value all the members of this forum included the male ones....!!!!!

Blackhorse
29-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Gareth

Hope things pick up for you soon!!
Dont give up!! It took me from may to september to get my first mindee through the door...lots of people arranged to come and see me and never turned up! ( I started advertising earlier than may but only got registered in may)
then suddenly all happened at once....
unfortunately this can happen to all of us cm's when starting out!!
I am sure you are great with kids and hopefully soon someone will see it and send their kids to you!!

Good luck vibes coming your way!!

mandy moo
29-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Gareth, I think it's a real shame that you are struggling so much to get work. I know you've had lots of advice about advertising, but have you thought about contacting your local paper & seeing if they'd do a short article on you? It might spark some curiosity & interest.I do think there is a huge difference in male childminders who work with their wife/partner and those who work alone.

Some people seem naturally suspicious of a man wanting to be a lone childminder, but absolutely love the idea of a husband & wife team. They see the advantages a man can bring to a joint setting, but don't seem to see that he would also bring these benefits to his own setting.

Sadly I think a lot of the attitudes are so ingrained in human nature that they are going to be hard to change :(

Brillant idea, go for it Gareth.
What about ringing your local radio station see if they'll do an radio interveiw with you?

TheBTeam
29-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I am posting this to remind me to come back later when I have more time to type!:laughing:

singingcactus
29-10-2009, 02:38 PM
What a very odd question.
Any person looking after any children should be who they are whilst getting on with catering to each child's needs. Trying to emulate a female childminder would be impossible since each and every one of us female childminders are very different to each other. We all look after the children in our care in a way that works for us, the children and their parents. I would never try to emulate another person, I am who I am, and me and my mindees have a great relationship with each other. Please don't make the mistake of putting all female childcarers in the same box, we all bring very different qualities to our children, just as all the many men involved with children bring their own individual qualities to their unique setting.
Of course men should be in this field, it goes without saying. I don't feel that you should be comparing men to women though as this to me seems incredibly sexist and somewhat insulting, if you need to compare then compare people individually with whom you have experience.

margimum
29-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm sure you are a wonderful carer, Gareth, BUT..... if I am very honest here, I don't think I would put my very young child with a male childminder working alone:(
To make myself even less popular I would add that I also wouldn't put her with a young childminder who doesn't have any children herself:(
I know there are some great people on this site without kids, but I'm being really honest here.
With a man I just think it's the intimate care problem as I think with older children a male childminder would be great fun!
I know what a hypocrite I am, not leaving my own children, but expecting people to leave their children with me.
( luckily my own are now grown so I don't have that problem)
That's the reason I went into childminding 18 years ago

jelly15
29-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Gareth please don't be disheartened and hang on in there.:group hug:

PixiePetal
29-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Gareth, hang on in there. :) It may pick up for the New Year, often does. Hope it does for you.

It is really quiet in my area at the moment, I have been minding almost 15 years and this is only the second time I have been this quiet. (2 days work with 1 child) and it's not cos I am a man - I am def a woman!! :)

I can tell from the posts you have put on the forum that you will be great at the job and wish you luck in finding mindees. In the meantime, have fun with your 3 - they don't stay young for long.

David Sheppard
29-10-2009, 04:12 PM
What a very odd question.
Any person looking after any children should be who they are whilst getting on with catering to each child's needs. Trying to emulate a female childminder would be impossible since each and every one of us female childminders are very different to each other. We all look after the children in our care in a way that works for us, the children and their parents. I would never try to emulate another person, I am who I am, and me and my mindees have a great relationship with each other. Please don't make the mistake of putting all female childcarers in the same box, we all bring very different qualities to our children, just as all the many men involved with children bring their own individual qualities to their unique setting.
Of course men should be in this field, it goes without saying. I don't feel that you should be comparing men to women though as this to me seems incredibly sexist and somewhat insulting, if you need to compare then compare people individually with whom you have experience.

Hi,

If you asked a female footballer who they would most like to emulate they might say someone like David Beckham, perhaps, rather than a female footballer as there are far fewer 'excellent' role models to choose from.

Surely it is the same in childminding? Do you not look to other excellent childminders (most likely to be women) who display the best practice and offer the soundest advice and attempt to emulate them and their childcare?

As there are so few male childminders; who would fill the mantel of the male role model for them to aspire to?

I take your point about comparisons.

Thanks,

David

David Sheppard
29-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi !!

I am going to try and explain what I think but I am finding it very difficult and it is obviously a touchy subject and I dont want to look like I am sexist or prejudiced. I am just trying to write down as honest as I can what I think. So please also dont shoot me...(In Sweets' words!! :) )

I have discussed this with my mum recently as we somehow came onto the subject..
I think it is great that if a man wants to work with kids he has the chance to do it. And I had some great teachers in school and a lot of them were male and they were fab.
If I am perfectly honest though I think I would hesitate to send my dd to a male childminder...saying that I would hesitate sending her to any childminder, but somehow I would feel more comfortable with her being around another woman....
My mum said she feels that men can be great with kids but she isn't so sure about them when the LOs are still babies. She thinks that women would have a better instinct to work with the very little ones.
I am not saying that is the case and there are obviously woman out there that dont and men that do

but I think it is probably the case that some people might not be 100% at ease with the idea of having a male cm....
Maybe once you meet them in person you would change your mind as you see how they deal with the kids etc...

on the other hand I think maybe that if I was a single mum and I would want my dd to have a male role model in her life, that a male cm would be perfect...iyswim...

I think it is hard as femal to go into a male dominated job and vice versa the same....

I studied bioligy and we did a lot on behaviour and differences between the genders...(not just he obvious ones Angel pointed out...:jump for joy: )
and in my opinion there are a few things in life guys are better at then woman and the other way round...and I dont mean this in a negative/ sexist way and I mean that there is a tendency for example for guys to be stronger then females...but that doesnt mean that there arent enough females that are stronger than loads of men...

same with cm I think...some guys will be the perfect childminders as this is what they want to do and this is what they are really good at...at the same time there will be loads of guys that wouldnt want to be a cm in the first place as it isnt their interest...they still might be great dads, but wouldnt want to be a cm...not just because it is a female dominated area, but because they are just not interested...

this may sound silly but on the same principles that I tried to describe above I would feel better if amale fire fighter come to put out a fire in my house...not saying that women cant do it I am sure there are brilliant femal fire fighters out there...it is just again a personal perception thing I think!

sorry for the long story and I hope I havent offended. I value all the members of this forum included the male ones....!!!!!

Hi Nicole,

Some excellent points raised in your lengthy reply - you certainly didn't offend me with you opinions.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

David

Chatterbox Childcare
29-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

I think that everyone, regardless of sex, does their best for their children and that everyone would achieve the same task in a different way. I think that everyone should bring to the table what they can, so no I don't think that you should emulate others as new ideas can sometimes be helpful.

I get very frustrated with the authoritarian. If I wanted help I would want to speak to an approachable, sympathetic person and not I know it all. I have one childminder in my area that works alongside his wife who I think talks down to us, just becuase he has the qualifications on paper. yet if he sat back and was more down to earth he would be listened to and respected a lot more.

Definately yes. They have a different way of doing things and I find more methodical in their approach, so why not?

Regards,

David

This was easy to answer in my head but to write down a little harder so hope it makes sense

angeldelight
29-10-2009, 05:01 PM
I was talking to my mom about this thread

She then got onto the subject of men in different roles and was explaining how our views do change with time

She said years ago when she was young if a male wanted to be a hairdresser you automatically thought he was a weirdo or gay !! ( sorry )
She said her own mom would never have let a male do her hair
Mom had a male friend a few years ago and thought nothing of it and now they are everywhere and no one thinks anything of it

She also said when she was young you never really had male nurses and you would have been shocked at the thought thinking they were strange or weird or worse
She said about 10 years ago when a friend was in hospital she was due to have a bed bath and a male nurse came to do it - she complained and asked for a female
Last year she was admittted again and did not care that a male did it this time :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe over time peoples views will start to change about men being childminders just like the above

Although even now still not sure I would fancy a male nurse giving me a bed bath unless of course it was Enrique ha ha :laughing:

There is hope for you yet Gareth so DO NOT give up !!!

Angel xxx

jumpinjen
29-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi gareth.... I was finding it very frustrating to get work when i first registered and my support worker told me it took many people 6-8 months to get their first mindee, i rang lots of childminders to try and get to know people and many of them (all women) had been registered for 12 months without having any children. i definately think it is worth getting out and about and get stuck in with groups.... volunteer at the children's centre with the play and stay maybe? Or an afterschool club? getting to meet parents is the curcuial bit... i have been on the other side looking for a childminder and it is so hard going to some ones's house that you don't know,a nd to be honest i would find it intimidating to go and see a man on my own with my children, but I'm not very confident with the dads of the children that i care for either so that's just me, but if i knew them already from seeing at playgroups etc, I wou;dn't feel like that.

Good luck, chin up!

jenni

TheBTeam
29-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Firstly to Gareth, I know you are thinking that things are this way because you are a man, but I honestly believe it is just the way it is some times, when i first started it took me 9 months to get my first child, despite advertising, referrals etc, when i got my first one it was after a few people had been to seem but no one seemed to want to trust me with their small child, eventually in about 8 days I got three families who signed, the first two were for older school age children, and the last a 2 year old, i was getting really despondent and losing enthusiasm, and i think this might have started to show in my quest for younger children.

Also, i have a group of childminder friends who frequently pass on my number along with the numbers of the other childminders in our little group to prospective parents, and I often do not get a phone call from them, sometimes who knows for what reason the parents will only ring one or some of the numbers given, and sometimes I am one of them and sometimes not!

So although I obviously do not know for sure but it could just be exactly how things were for me, that said, I do probably regret to say that it will have some impact you being a man working alone.

I say this because in a couple of cases we have had parents choose us because we are man/woman team, and some say they chose me because there is a man about (when dh was just an assistant). I know that they are all very pleased to have a man about, one only though has admitted that she would not have chosen a male only childminder for her son, but this is the rare ones, most would be happy to use my dh, whether this is because they know have experience of him, we can't tell.

Sorry for long post, will do reply to original thread next!

Blue Boy
29-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Gareth, hang on in there mate :thumbsup: David & I both need you to do what you clearly want to do! One day male childminders will rule the world (that is if the ladies let us:blush: )

Regards
Mick

donnagwynne
29-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Here's my contribution, for what it is worth.

Many childminders consider themselves to be professionals. Like David, they are highly qualified, highly skilled and good at their jobs.

But they are not treated as professionals because EY is traditionally considered to be an area that ONLY requires skills such as those maternal, nurturing,intuitive etc that women alone possess (in theory )

More men in the field of EY would make all childminders look like they were actively pursuing a profession.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, I know what I am trying to say anyway.
Donna

TheBTeam
29-10-2009, 06:45 PM
As you can gather from above, I work with my dh, he is great with the children and his interaction with them is completely different to mine. I do feel that he struggles with some areas of the job, in particular the paperwork, and without my presence he would not make it as a childminder if it was down to him alone to complete.

He is definately the one to introduce the more daring/physical play, and comes down tougher on some of the unwanted behaviour. Although i am probably stricter, the way I contain problems is different, he tends to come down on the behaviour less often but tougher when he does, if that makes sense!

I do think he would benefit from being a bit more accepting, and he has a tendency to be more judgemental than I am, I through a few years of experience am a little more laid back and accepting of the more diverse children (and boy do we get them!) that seem to come our way, he on the other hand has to work at not getting irked by some children.

I definitely think there is a place for men in childcare, and that applies to men working alone also, although I have to admit that when my ds was in a daycare nursery, and a young male started working there, I did wonder what on earth would make him want to, that said he turned out to be fantastic with the kids, who all adored him, a lesson learnt for me, (didn't see any paperwork of his tho!:laughing: )

I also admire the men who are prepared to do all of the additional training beyond what is compulsory and who are completely dedicated to this as more than a job, my dh is doing this the way he has done every other job and that is as a means to an end, which i can find a little frustrating, as i am the exact opposite and always have been, and now we are together he can see this glaringly and I get the hump when he questions my need to go one step further!

Wow, long post sorry!!:laughing:

TheBTeam
29-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi Gareth, hang on in there mate :thumbsup: David & I both need you to do what you clearly want to do! One day male childminders will rule the world (that is if the ladies let us:blush: )

Regards
Mick

OOOOOOH, a man with ideas above his station, you must be feeling a lot better!!!!

Can tell by your location that you still understand the way of the world tho really!:laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
29-10-2009, 06:52 PM

Gareth

Gareth, someone will come along i'm sure of that.
I feel for you after reading your post.
I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Orksie
x

singingcactus
29-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi,

If you asked a female footballer who they would most like to emulate they might say someone like David Beckham, perhaps, rather than a female footballer as there are far fewer 'excellent' role models to choose from.

Surely it is the same in childminding? Do you not look to other excellent childminders (most likely to be women) who display the best practice and offer the soundest advice and attempt to emulate them and their childcare?

As there are so few male childminders; who would fill the mantel of the male role model for them to aspire to?

I take your point about comparisons.

Thanks,

David

I look for advice to whomever is working in the area I am querying, not only female childminders. Like I said I would not try to emulate anyone, I am me and I like being me. I would however, as I have also said, ask advise from whomever was able to advise me properly regardless of their gender.
If I were a female footballer and I felt the need to emulate someone else, then I guess whoever it was who inspired me to want to be a footballer would fulfill that role. Since there is an entire female footballing league I am sure I could have my choice from either male or female though - although this seems to be a step away from the question you originally asked, which from what I read was should you act like a female childminder and should you even be working in early years.
I do realise that there are fewer men in early years professions than women and I guess this is the point that you are trying to make. But we all know that and there have been many discussions around how to get more men interested in early years work, but until men do realise that they are every bit as capable as women in caring for and educating children then this will remain a women majority profession.
That being said, again, we are all individual and we all bring different talents to the table, some of us are authoritarian (in as much as one can be with anothers child), some are very gentle, some are very bouncy and energetic, I could go on and on, but we all care for the children in our care. I am sure you care for the children you have been charged with, regardless of your gender.

Monkey1
29-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I can't really speak for my Hunky Monkey who is working as my assistant, but he says he never regrets giving up his 'other' job and wished he had done it years ago. He is seriously thinking about becoming a inder in his own right. He comes with fresh eyes and has suggested many improvements, ideas etc. I think that unfortunatly there is some stigma by those who are not more open minded and i will be the first to admit that i was a little worried about how the parents would react but i'm pleased to say they have all been wonderful and nothing but complimentry about it all. and the kids......which is the most important thing.......love having him around!

GARETH HANG IN THERE, ONCE YOU HAVE ONE, THE REST WILL FOLLOW X

daisyboo1980
29-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm sure you are a wonderful carer, Gareth, BUT..... if I am very honest here, I don't think I would put my very young child with a male childminder working alone:(
To make myself even less popular I would add that I also wouldn't put her with a young childminder who doesn't have any children herself:(
I know there are some great people on this site without kids, but I'm being really honest here.
With a man I just think it's the intimate care problem as I think with older children a male childminder would be great fun!
I know what a hypocrite I am, not leaving my own children, but expecting people to leave their children with me.
( luckily my own are now grown so I don't have that problem)
That's the reason I went into childminding 18 years ago

im a young ish childminder and have no kids of my own but i have lots of experience i was a nanny for 4 children the youngest being 3 months when i started and i looked after them for 9 yrs still minding the youngest now
i was 20 when i started as a nanny and was a manager of a day nursery before that

i dont think u can gernalise (sp) when it comes to male/ female /young /old with /without kids you have to look at the person and on their own merits

Bazza
29-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Interesting post!

I think that these days the media does not help the image of men who work with kids. Things like the vetting and barring scheme are also reinforcing the idea that there are abusers lurking in every corner of your life waiting to pouce!

Me personally i have no problem with male childcarers, but i run a business in the childcare industry. My wife works in childcare and has since i met her as a nursery nurse and now a nanny. Many of our friends also work in childcare. I know enough to understand that childcare is not just about qualifications, but as much about attitude and ability, regardless of gender.

10 years ago, i would have veiwed the situation as creepy and unfortunatly these days so do many people. I think this is an education thing and many people dont have the same perspective that i now have.

Its a sad state of affairs because there are some really good blokes that are great with kids and should not be put off working with them.

Interestingly in Google the search stats for the terms:
"Male childminder" gets:46 global searches
"Female childminder" gets:0

(The US does not really recognise the term "childminder" so this is where people use google.com which is worldwide so we can assume this is the UK figures.)

"Male Nanny" gets: 3600 global searches.
"Nanny" gets: 5,000,000 global searches.

I once read that in the workplace a woman has to work twice as hard as a man to be considered equal. Maybe childcare is the one place where that is the other way round.

Trouble
29-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Interesting post!

I think that these days the media does not help the image of men who work with kids. Things like the vetting and barring scheme are also reinforcing the idea that there are abusers lurking in every corner of your life waiting to pouce!

Me personally i have no problem with male childcarers, but i run a business in the childcare industry. My wife works in childcare and has since i met her as a nursery nurse and now a nanny. Many of our friends also work in childcare. I know enough to understand that childcare is not just about qualifications, but as much about attitude and ability, regardless of gender.

10 years ago, i would have veiwed the situation as creepy and unfortunatly these days so do many people. I think this is an education thing and many people dont have the same perspective that i now have.

Its a sad state of affairs because there are some really good blokes that are great with kids and should not be put off working with them.

Interestingly in Google the search stats for the terms:
"Male childminder" gets:46 global searches
"Female childminder" gets:0

(The US does not really recognise the term "childminder" so this is where people use google.com which is worldwide so we can assume this is the UK figures.)

"Male Nanny" gets: 3600 global searches.
"Nanny" gets: 5,000,000 global searches.

I once read that in the workplace a woman has to work twice as hard as a man to be considered equal. Maybe childcare is the one place where that is the other way round.

well said i think you might be right on the last part:thumbsup:

i think couples who childmind are brilliant as you get both side male and female input

it doesnt bother me if your male or female as long as the job is done:D

miss mopple
29-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Hmmn, this is a very interesting thread.

I personally know two male childminders. One works with his wife ( a member on here :D ) and I wouldnt hesitate to leave my girls with him if I needed a minder as he is fantastic.

The other I wouldnt leave a dog with, but then I could say the same of other female minders I know

I personally think its wonderful to see men working in childcare, but being totally hypocritical I hold my hands up and say I wouldnt leave my girls with a male childminder. I would struggle to leave them with a female one also though, but if I had to use childcare I would want a female who could step into a mummy role when I couldnt be there for them IYSWIM.

Its nothing to do with the fact I have daughters not sons (although DH may disagree) and any worries about potential abuse etc as that is just as possible with female carers. If I was a single mum with no male role model for the girls I may think differently but they are lucky enough to have DH and he is a very hands on Dad, and they also have male grandparents and uncles around them so I wouldnt feel the need for a male influence for them.

That probably makes no sense and Im sorry if my ramblings have offended :blush:

Alibali
29-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I think that at the moment you will still find a lot of people who think it is wrong for a male to be in this profession, I worked for years as a Midwife and in all my time came across 2 male midwives, a lot of women refused to have them any where near them, but they were happy for a male Doctor to deliver their babies!!! The Mums who did use them were delighted with the care, but most people were skeptical.

I think the same may be thought in a child care environment, we have 1 male nursery nurse at our local nursery and I think it's great for the children to see men in this type of role.

I believe that as time goes on and more men enter the childcare profession it will become more acceptable (similar to what Angel was saying about hairdressing)

My only slight concern is that in my experience men don't seem to react quite as instinctively/quickly to an emergency situation and tend to think the issue through first iyswim, I think it is how the brain is different?

Would I leave my kids with a male Childminder? I'd leave them with anyone who'd have them:laughing: No, really I don't think gender would make a difference to me but dh says he wouldn't be happy leaving dd with a male minder (she is nearly 17 though:laughing: :laughing: )

David Sheppard
30-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you to all who have read, commented and clearly thought about this thread. I said, yesterday, I would leave it to later to explain my reasoning.

Firstly, can I please reiterate that all of the questions, I have raised, are hypothetical and not directly related to any single person and not me personally? I wrote these questions based upon others I have read whilst searching the internet, during many discussions at training and whilst at university as a guest speaker and student. Additionally, I have read many EY related books written mostly by extremely experienced women and a few men and all of them have left me feeling I needed to know more.

My main reasoning for the thread was to get first hand feelings, thoughts, opinions and concerns from real childminders about the role of Male Childminders. Coming from my background as an IT consultant and Royal Navy Weapon Engineer Officer I have worked in very authoritarian and mostly male dominated arenas. The leadership and management styles expected of these professions are not really directly transferrable into EY. One the areas I am particularly interested in, is being a reflective facilitator. It is well documented that these skills are far more 'natural instinctive' to women than they are to men - hence the second question.

I know I could have just stated this in the first place but felt this would flavour the comments. I hope you can all see, from the many excellent posts, that everyone has given very honest, and in many cases heartfelt, comments.

I hope that others who read this thread will still offer their thoughts, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their frankness. I have learned a tremendous amount from you all and feel much clearer in my own mind. I also hope that this thread will help others to see the many sides to these questions.

Finally, I have definitely NOT been offended by anyone's thoughts.

Best regards

David

singlewiththree
30-10-2009, 08:00 AM
My friend had a male nanny and she had 5yr old and 3yr old daughters, this was before I was a childminder. I must admit I didn't think it was a good idea at the time as it was difficult for him at toilet time with the older one etc. I wouldn't put my children with a male childminder either, I just wouldn't feel comfy probably because all my experience of males around children is the fun bit and not the needs of the child. My ex when I was looking for a childminder told me no to a male childminder, probably because he felt insecure that he didn't see his children that often and didn't want another male in the caring role. Now I am a childminder I have seen good and bad childminders male/female and would just fit my criteria for chosing a childminder and if the male childminder came out with ticks in all the boxes then I wouldn't bat an eyelid and choose him.

mandy moo
30-10-2009, 09:25 AM
IMO i belive we could do with more men in in both childminding and in primary school,
20 odd years ago when I was in the 2nd year of training for my NNEB, the year below us had a Male nursery nurse, I really didnt think anything of it.
This thread has made me wonder what hes doing now?
At my boys school we have 2 male teachers, ones the Head and the other teaches my youngest sons class (Yr 3) he joined the school this September as an NQT.
I also belive if my Eldlest son (Yr6) had had a male teacher or two in his early years of school, his behaviour and attitude may have been better that it is. His attitude and behaviour when the Head is teaching is so much better, no I dont think its just because hes the Head, he has 6 children of his own mainly below 11 yrs old and as my son says 'he's fun'

When I went for my (CIN/CIM?) training to become a childminder a guy named John cant remember his second name, took the course, he also works with his wife, childminding.
Yes I would have sent my boys to a male childminder.
I know several childminders in the village and being really honest here, although Ive never seen what they are like when they are working at home, from the conversations Ive had with a few, Im not sure I would want to emulate any of them.
SO, I try to do my best and be ME.

TheBTeam
30-10-2009, 07:53 PM
IMO i belive we could do with more men in in both childminding and in primary school,
20 odd years ago when I was in the 2nd year of training for my NNEB, the year below us had a Male nursery nurse, I really didnt think anything of it.
This thread has made me wonder what hes doing now?
At my boys school we have 2 male teachers, ones the Head and the other teaches my youngest sons class (Yr 3) he joined the school this September as an NQT.
I also belive if my Eldlest son (Yr6) had had a male teacher or two in his early years of school, his behaviour and attitude may have been better that it is. His attitude and behaviour when the Head is teaching is so much better, no I dont think its just because hes the Head, he has 6 children of his own mainly below 11 yrs old and as my son says 'he's fun'

When I went for my (CIN/CIM?) training to become a childminder a guy named John cant remember his second name, took the course, he also works with his wife, childminding.
Yes I would have sent my boys to a male childminder.
I know several childminders in the village and being really honest here, although Ive never seen what they are like when they are working at home, from the conversations Ive had with a few, Im not sure I would want to emulate any of them.
SO, I try to do my best and be ME.

I think I know the John you are talking about, he was one of the people I used as an example of a successful male childminder to my dh when we were discussing him becoming one.

mandy moo
31-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I think I know the John you are talking about, he was one of the people I used as an example of a successful male childminder to my dh when we were discussing him becoming one.

My course was in St Albans, I think he said he was from there?

TheBTeam
31-10-2009, 11:52 AM
My course was in St Albans, I think he said he was from there?

Yes it will be the same one!