PDA

View Full Version : Learning Key Words in Reception

Zoomie
28-10-2009, 07:04 PM
In our school the children have to learn all their letters and certain key words before they are allowed to have 'word' reading books home.

its done on the jolly phonic method, and mindee has to practice reading them and writing them (unseen).

Mindee isn't keen on writing or even mark making, so I have tried a couple of times by getting him to do it in the air, or sand or with chalk but he isn't keen and I am lucky if I can get him to just do one letter.

Anyone have any ideas to make this fun ...

jumpinjen
28-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Children will absorb this best when they are ready... which is a problem if he HAS to do it and just isn't ready!! I do an 'I-spy' game with my daughter and she is pretty accurate now, using the correct sounds, sometimes I challenge her to draw it in the air or to go and point to it on the wall frieze but she is motivated to do it. lots of reading helps, sounding out the occasional simple CVC word such as cat or dog or sat etc.

making them with playdough?

making them with cookie dough then cooking and eating them??

jenni

Pipsqueak
28-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Children will absorb this best when they are ready...jenni

couldn't agree more which is why I never push the kids if they aren't interested - school (that my kids attend) have found out that I consider it their problem not my childs. I think its too early to have all this forced on the children.

As jen suggests though to make it fun - take the pressure off - hide letters in playdough, bubbly water - just simple words that appear on that first list. Chalks, water squirty bottles etc

David Sheppard
28-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Agree with everything above.

Have you raised your concerns with the reception class teacher?

Regards,

David

sarah707
28-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Children will absorb this best when they are ready...
jenni

I totally agree! As an ex teacher as well as seeing it from the other side as a parent and a childminder.

Anyway reception class is supposed to be about the Eyfs!!

Which is, if I remember rightly, play based :rolleyes:

I wonder if the teacher needs to borrow your copy for a quick refresher? :D

LittleMissSparkles
28-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I totally agree! As an ex teacher as well as seeing it from the other side as a parent and a childminder.

Anyway reception class is supposed to be about the Eyfs!!

Which is, if I remember rightly, play based :rolleyes:

I wonder if the teacher needs to borrow your copy for a quick refresher? :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
28-10-2009, 11:27 PM
just offer lots of opportunities. have letters up everywhere and pens/paper and outdoor writing stuff so he can experiment without being under supervision. I do no structured stuff with my mindees but all of my 2 1/2 year olds are starting to copy letter symbols. they have no idea what they are writing, but are absorbing it so hopefully the meaning will sink in as they edge towards 5.

EYFS is about play but to withhold books they want seems silly. how are they supposed to absorb words if they withhold word books. just offer lots of books with words at yours.

Trouble
28-10-2009, 11:36 PM
cars in sand?????
making letters

youarewhatyoueat
28-10-2009, 11:55 PM
How long is mindee with you? If he/she is anything like my ds then they have done it during the day and a bit of bedtime reading is enough, I wouldn't worry best you can do is help them relax and chill at the end of the day.

singlewiththree
29-10-2009, 06:28 AM
My daughter is in reception and I have made games using the keywords. We play keyword bingo which is just a grid and I turn over the card and each child takes a turn at saying the word and they just cross it off on their board (its just an A4 sheet laminated) I have also included children's names so the younger ones can also have a turn at saying words.

We also play the memory game, where I have printed out two copies of the keywords and we turn them over and try and match them.

Another game I have done is to write the keywords into pictures and get them to spot them and say what they are.

I also do a matching game where the keywords are written down and they have to draw a line to each one.

Be inventive as you want. If he likes sand you could put laminated keywords in the sand and get him to dig for them?