PDA

View Full Version : Best flooring

jelly15
28-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I have tiled bathroom and kitchen floors which are fine (easy to clean) but my carpets in the playroom, lounge and hallway need replacing and I can't decide what to have.

I would like to have the same in all the three areas (makes it appear bigger). I like the look of solid oak boards and rugs but would this cause a tripping and slipping hazard, be difficult with potty training accidents or drink spillages or be hard on little knees when crawling?

New carpet is an option but again it is prone to accidents and stains.

What do you lot have/ recomend?

Thanks in advance

Jelly

LOOPYLISA
28-10-2009, 09:55 AM
We have wood flooring in the lounge, hall :thumbsup:

Not laminate, i find this too cold hth x

mama2three
28-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Ive got laminate throughout , would much prefer wood if i could afford it! It works brilliantly - easy to clean , light reflective so makes the space seem bigger. I use a piece of carpet in the 'babytoy' area , with those grippers under it , to define the area and for little knees. I have round ikea rugs ' small ones ' that each activity goes on and to add colour and make it more childfriendly. It is easy to 'change around' and adapt if i have different ages of children .

little miss chatterbox
28-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I have the same predicament and will be watching this thread with interest!

I really want wood/laminate flooring to keep it clean etc but I have two dogs and sometimes they have a mad 5 minutes a few times a day and tear round the table chasing each other and the constant click click of their claws would annoy me!

I have thought about a carpet in the lounge and laminate in the dining room with a nice wooden threshold dividing the two so this keeps the lounge warm underfoot but the dining room floor easy to clean. I will have the annoyingness of the dogs claws clicking again but it will only be half the room and not the full room!

I have laminate in the playroom but that's a seperate conservatory! makes it good for messy play tho!

mummyroysof3
28-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Im glad someone posted this as we are in the process of deciding what to have in our extension, has dining table in and will be main entrance with pushchair but also to play in there. I really dont want carpet but i think laminate will go all funny with the amount of times ill have to wash it, am thinking of having cushioned flooring and a big rug to put down for them to play on

charlotte x

CherryBlossom
28-10-2009, 01:15 PM
When we bought our house they were re-carpeting it throughout, but as i am using the downstairs for minding I told them not to bother with the carpet.
It is pale, and hard enough keeping it clean with just me and oh here at moment lol.

Our floorboards are in pretty good condition. I love them so cosy and have such character.
We just had them sanded and are going to varnish them hopefully next week-can't wait.

If it is a choice between carpet and laminate, personally i would say def laminate as carpet can get stained and dirty..with laminate you just wipe clean!

i have also found it much easier to sweep the floorboards quickly rather than hoovering everyday.

x
x

suzyblue
28-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I would have wood if I could but have laminate. I like the cosiness and warmth of a carpet but would never have one with kids slobbering and drooling all over it. I have a big rug in the middle of the floor which can and has been replaced a few times. The laminated floor is great for cars and other push along toys.

little miss chatterbox
28-10-2009, 04:46 PM
does anyone have laminate with dogs?

gegele
28-10-2009, 04:52 PM
wood floor all the way.
:thumbsup:

mrsgreen
28-10-2009, 05:08 PM
yeap i have wood effect aminate in my whole downstairs. i use rugs in the living room and one in the corner of the playroom. i also have them soft tiles i put out if i have crawlers. works great for me, i know carpets are more cosy but i would hate to be cleaning them! good luck

sweets
28-10-2009, 06:50 PM
i have laminate in my hallway and kitchen but carpet in my through lounge diner where the children play.

I wouldnt be without my cosy carpet! i find laminate a pain with constantly having to hoover and mop it.

i clean my carpet at least twice a year, have a no shoe rule and the children dont eat or drink on it. its as clean as it can be.

Straws
28-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I have tiled floor in my hall and kitchen, laminate in all other rooms the only carpet in my house is on the stairs, I'm always horrified when I mop the floors at how dirty the water is in my bucket, just shows what hides in carpets, where does it come from? and I dont allow outdoor shoes to be worn in the house.

Straws xxx

Louise_Oaktree
29-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I have laminate and dogs and they get used to it :laughing: although rugs help. I have just had to get rid of my old rug so have put it in shed for outside play in the warmer weather but it got really grubby looking. Off to get my new rug this weekend but don't want to spend a lot, seen one in homebase for £40 :thumbsup:

Trouble
29-10-2009, 03:12 PM
i have quick step laminate flooring not cheap but the best with 1 cat 2 dogs mindees and 2 teenagers

totally recommend:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

2 washes a day if needs and sorted :D :thumbsup:

Angela234
29-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I have tiles in kitchen

Laminate in playroom with large play mats

Lounge/ diner; carpet lounge area laminate dining side

Hall carpet

little miss chatterbox
29-10-2009, 11:19 PM
for those of you who have a lounge/diner and have a carpet in the lounge and hard floor in the diner would you mind posting up a piccy so i can see what it looks like! It's something i want but i can't visualise!

Thanks

gemhei
30-10-2009, 07:23 PM
We have a wool carpet which was fitted in 1969 :eek: When we first moved in i hated it as it is red and gold and green and...well you name it!

I have to say i now love my carpet! Ok i have to get it cleaned overy so often but its so much more hardwearing than a modern carpet and its so patterned you dont see any stains or dirt!! Haha. Any carepet that has lasted in a house for 40 years must be worth its cash. We talked about getting wood floors thoughout but my dog pacing up and down all day making a clicking noise would drive me crazy. I love my sitmulating carpet and i wont swap it for anything lol :thumbsup:

AnnieM
30-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I childmind in a seperate annexe to the main house and have solid oak flooring right through, it is very noisy in there, every sound seems to echo, so when I get some more children and start minding again during the day I will be getting some large play rugs to try and deaden the sound a bit. :D