PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health and food standards

janey81
27-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I only provide snacks for the children at the moment as I have after schoolers only, although this may change in January. Do I need to be registered with the Environment Health or anyone else? My food hygiene certifcate is out of date now as I haven't been able to find a course in my area yet.

Jane

Chatterbox Childcare
27-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Food hygiene certificates do not go out of date but you can keep abreast of any changes on the internet and the latest booklet which is being distributed to all childminders will answer all your questions as there has been some changes.

sarah707
27-10-2009, 08:45 PM
It is a legal requirement of the Eyfs to register with your local Environmental Health Department.

You should update your Food Hygiene when you get a chance - it's a good thing to put on your Sef to show you are thinking ahead - but it's not a requirement.

Hth :D

miffy
27-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I only provide snacks for the children at the moment as I have after schoolers only, although this may change in January. Do I need to be registered with the Environment Health or anyone else? My food hygiene certifcate is out of date now as I haven't been able to find a course in my area yet.

Jane

There is information here on whether you need to register or not

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/regchildcarersadvice.pdf

The Statutory guidance to the EYFS says " Providers should be aware of their responsibilities under food hygiene legislation including registration with the relevant Local Authority Environmental Health Department"

So look at the link first and you need to register only if you provide food and drink under the examples it gives you.

It isn't mandatory to have a food hygiene certificate yet - you can now order the Safer Food Better Business for childminders free (see link above) and that will help you

Miffy xx

janey81
27-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Thank you for the information, I provide daily snack so looks like I need to register!

Jane