PDA

View Full Version : positives and negatives of overnight care.

mumx3
27-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi all

I am just trying to decide if it is worth registering to do overnight care? I have recently had a few enquiries for it and parents in my area seem to be struggling with finding someone to do it.

I want to know if it is worth the hassel of registering for overnight care?

It would possibly have quite an impact on our family, and so I am trying to work out what it would be like.

So what are the positives and negatives for you guys?

What the pay is like in comparision to your day time fees?

How much business do you actually get???

Ripeberry
27-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I decided not to do overnight care, mainly because my youngest still gets up in the middle of the night as she's 'scared' and she could wake any other mindees and I'd never get any sleep at all for the next day's work! :(
Overnight, is best if you don't have young children of your own.

Daftbat
27-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I only registered for overnight care years ago because an existing customer was going to lose her job as a nurse if she didn't work night shifts and since i already cared for her son i was prepared to do it.

I think its different depending upon the ages of the children and what space you have available.

I have never had a spare room so the child has had to "bunk" in with my younger daughter and this has worked fine over the years. However, now that she is ten i have given notice that i will be stopping overnight care from 1st January 2010 since i think that she needs her privacy more.

If i had a spare room i would probably carry on. Having said that i will keep my registration up since i think it is always a useful thing to have in place for emergencies - even if i don't offer it as a service to customers any more.

Over the years i have had quite a lot of business but only really mainly from the original child. I cared for a child of parents who worked for an airline and the overnight care came in handy when they got stranded in Aberdeen a couple of times! I also worked last weekend, Fri, Sat & Sun overnight and still had my days free and made a reasonable amount of money from it too so that was quite good as a one off.