PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

Roseolivia
27-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Rose is 2 1/2yrs. She's shown no interest in potty training but i thought i'd give it a go while i'm not working this week. She doesn't seem to know when she needs to wee but once she starts she can stop herself until we get to the toilet. We went through 6 pants yesterday and 2 today up to now. I don't really want to stop after 2 days because maybe it'll 'click' with her. I'm rewarding her with a piece of chocolate and a sticker once she's wee'd on the potty. I haven't potty trained anyone in years so really just after some advice on what i should do.

katickles
27-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Not sure really.

I trained my dd who turned 2 in march 6 weeks ago & she was dry 2nd day:eek:

I think that i got her at the right time as she would always tell me once she had done a poo & was able to pull up & down her pants etc

We started just putting her on the potty of an evening when her bath was running to get her used to sitting on it.

I have to say we were really lucky as it definatly clicked right away with her & I got her off the potty after day 5 onto the toilet so the toilet didn't become an issue.

So with reguards to how long it takes for it to click I don't know.

I did mind a child ages ago now who was 3 1/2 & he wasn't trained & mum dropped him off one morning saying he was now being potty trained & was doing fine - yeah right! I had pee/poo all over the place all day everyday & TBH he made me scared about ever potty training again! I was dreading training my own dd, but it just goes to show the difference for when they are ready!

Good luck & I am sure she'll do fab! :)

cuffleygirl
27-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I feel there is no point in potty training a child who isn't able to indicate the need for the toilet - yuck I've just been is worth a go - but no interest usually means lots of stress and wee and poo everywhere.

suzyblue
27-10-2009, 04:21 PM
You could ruin her confidence if she is not ready. Dont worry about what the other children are doing at that age. I would start when your likely to have more hits than misses! That way she will get plenty of praise. When its the right time she will get it quite quickly. Good luck!

sarah707
27-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Both my 2 were nearly 3 and it clicked first day.

I've worked with parents who have rushed their children because of starting nursery etc and it's never been easy.

If she's not telling you anything... needing to go, ready to go... then it's likely her nervous system isn't well enough developed yet.

Don't forget, it's not about language or speech or understanding... the message has got to get from the bladder or bowels to the brain to the mouth in time.

Hth :D

Blue Boy
28-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi ya, we have over the years had to potty train many children, some with success and some not. We managed to get hold of a book from Marks and Spencers entitled My Potty Book. I don't know if you can still get hold of it, but it has helped us in the past.

Love
Mick x