PDA

View Full Version : Business Name

Clever Clogs
01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi there

I see a lot of you have a business name rather than your own name. I was thinking of using 'Clever Clogs' as mine.

Are there any implications to using a name, i.e. does it have to registered anywhere? What about the tax office, is it the business name or your own name that is used?

Not sure about the ins and outs of it.

Thanks
Tracey

Saz
01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Great question, I am sure lots of new childminders are wondering the same thing I know I have been thinking about using a business name. I will look forward to reading the responses...

sarah707
01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I haven't registered it anywhere - I just use mine for the website, on the car, in my advertising (so it all links together) and occasionally when I'm asking for freebies from companies, it gives a bit of oomf to have a name to put in the 'company' line on webforms.

I haven't registered it with Ofsted or the tax office or anything - I stick to being me with anyone official. I wonder if I'm supposed to? Wonder who I would ask...?

:D

tinytigers
02-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I had intended to use mine on letter headings, policies, adverts etc.

Hadnt even thought if I needed to get it registered. :panic:

Would be great if someone that knew for def could let us know.

LittleMissSparkles
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
I havent paid for the name to be registered with companies house or anything but I did have to tell the tax people I had a business name just for their records x

Like Clever Cloggs Childminding very catchy x

Angela234
02-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I also just use mine on ads, web site, cards, ect

Angela

flora
02-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I havent paid for the name to be registered with companies house or anything but I did have to tell the tax people I had a business name just for their records x

Like Clever Cloggs Childminding very catchy x

As far as I am aware, you don't register with companies house unless you are a limited company. As said, tax office need to know your trading name just for records. There is a space for it on your annual tax return, so you can't really leave it out. I like clever cloggs too.
For headed paper etc etc try vista print, they always have free products on offer, they are a pain sending you free offers via email all the time, but you don't have to open them!! Also you only pay for p&p so always tick the slowest option as it's always here much quicker than they say and it's cheaper.:thumbsup:

Noodles
02-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Same here i havnt registered mine anywhere as i didnt think you had to but again i use my own name for anything official.
:)

Heaven Scent
02-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Whey Hey Panic drawers is here again, I have a business name - it is not a limited liability company so no need to list it at companies house - but read in that dreaded NCMA handbook that I had to inform Ofsted so I did (same handbook where I read I had to register as a food business)

I rang Ofsted who said I had to put it in writing and they would have to send me a new reg doc with the name on it and hey presto I did just that - well I got a flea in the ear letter from Ofsted telling me not to tell them what to do and that they wouldn't be adding any business name to my reg doc so I rang signee of letter but she not there so spoke to colleague who explained that it didn't matter to them what I called the business so long as it was me who was running it and therefore my name on reg doc.

So there goes I just wanted them to know because I'm hoping to eventually have logo thats on my business cards on my paperwork and ddin't want to get into trouble.

Hey lets see what the inspector says if I manage to get it all sorted out before she comes. I've got the letter and a note of the phone conversation to show her.

Celine

littlestar
03-03-2008, 12:28 AM
i wouldnt worry about it just do and call youself what you like i call myself marlenes little stars no registar anywhere just put it on my ads dont worry who is gonna bother you you done all this hard work call yourself what you like i say so :laughing:

miss muffit
08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
hear hear !!! :) :) :laughing: