PDA

View Full Version : SCHOOL AGE CHILDREN

It's a small world
27-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Please coul you share what your routine is for school children once you collect them and how you work this around your lo's . I am hopefully going to be getting 2 schoolies (7&9) But don't have much experience with children this age a mine are 2&6 (just)

Thanks

Roseolivia
27-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I find after school all they want to do is go on the computer or watch tv. They are so busy at school they just want to chill. It depends on the childs personalities though as one of my after schoolers likes to play and do crafts still. Once they've started and settled in you'll know what they like, you could always get them to fill in an 'all about me' form where they write what they like etc..

mama2three
27-10-2009, 08:54 AM
with that age mix i think the main thing is that the schoolies know that certain toys have to be kept in a certain area , lego for example , on a table out of the 2 year olds reach. you are quite lucky really having 2 as they will entertain each other and need less of your involvement , playing football in the garden or playing against each on the wii. I would get them involved in preparing snack , laying the table etc too. Good luck , youll soon get into the swing.

David Sheppard
27-10-2009, 09:06 AM
In the summer months it is easier as they want to play out in the garden. As the clocks have now changed and the evenings are dark almost as soon as they are home so it is the computer, Wii, taking turn games board games etc. that they often want to use.

Construction sets like Lego are great, but as has been said, the small items need to be kept well out of the young children's grasp.

Also, you'd be surprised how much they enjoy getting stuck into creative play - glue, junk modelling, painting, sticking. If you are able to offer them the chance to record their own creations using a digital camera, this also shows how much you value their efforts.

Actually, they can be really great fun and quickly integrate into the setting. We have found that they get a great deal from the younger children as they often do not have younger siblings at home.

Good luck,

David

It's a small world
27-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks your replies have been what I expected but wanted to check. Wii is great they will be able to play with my ds whose 6yrs. The 7&9 year old are siblings so hoping no rivalry. Only got enquiry last Sat. Sorting paperwork out incase mum wanted me and next thing gt a call from jobcente mum was there sorting out tax credit to pay for childcare...so guess Im getting them..Not too bad I work with mindees grandma at hotel...after working out finances I can now leave my hotel job :clapping: :clapping: going to keep it another couple of weeks to make sure happy with everything then going to give months notice...... Can't believe 3 weeks ago had 1 mindee now Im full (3 u5's) and 2 after school..

DDC SENDING SOME GOOD LUCK YOUR WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
27-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Collect, home, changed, snack, activity/tv/outdoors basically whatever they want to do.

My little ones are playing at this time and we don't have extra activities out other than what we have had during the day.

ChocolateChip
27-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Same as Debbie really, snack, bit of craft/ colouring/ tv- I do tea at 5pm so there's not an awful lot of time to fill anyway, quite often mine like to play duplo with the lo's or help them do puzzles and things.

Blackhorse
28-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I have a 6yr old and a 8yr old.

they get to the house...do their homework (they want to and so do their parents which is fine by me)
they LOVE arts and crafts...as long as they can draw, paint, glue and make they are happy!! Oh and play dough, plasticine, aquabeads, bendaroos...all these kinds of things will keep them entertained for ages.

not once have they asked to go onto the computer or play wii.
they will though watch some tv while I get their dinner ready or just before they go home when I dont want to get loads of stuff out anymore...

they also like helping me make their dinner...whenever it is suitable...
or like yesterday we were starting on our scary halloween cake...so they helped with that...:clapping: :clapping:

sometimes they will just use the kitchen (play one) and do some roleplay..spontaneous....although I find they need a lot more input from myself sometimes to get started...

they love the garden and playing with the sandpit....blowing bubbles....playing with the little ones too!!