PDA

View Full Version : feeding babies and toddlers

It's a small world
26-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi

Just wondered what you all did about feeding children of different ages. About to get a 9mth old and have have 2 x 2yr old toddlers....do you just cook the same but puree the babies (unless mum brings baby food) ???????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

karenandsmile
26-10-2009, 08:44 PM
any high chair children the mums supply their food as i dont have to do dinners for the older children as they all leave by 5 o clock and the parents would rather they ate with the family but the high chair children cant wait that long so the parents supply their food

gone are the days when i seemed to be cooking for the 500 lol

and life is so much eaiser in the evenings as i have more time to play with the after school kids than preparing dinners

also all children supply their own pack lunches especially in the school holidays or i would never get out of the front door making all those pack lunches i even have to tell parents in school holidays it has to be out and about pack lunches hot lunches or we will all have to come home at lunch time it works most of the time and i dont get any complaints

breezy
26-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I get parents to supply food til they're weaned fully :)

sarah707
26-10-2009, 08:47 PM

Me too! Though I will mash up a banana in an emergency :D

jelly15
26-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Same as Breezy and Sarah707

youarewhatyoueat
26-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Parents supply packed lunches/food for lunch and I don't do dinners only snacks.

Zoomie
26-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I've only just started having a baby (9m) alongside my two other mindees (2-2.5y). Only 2nd time but I have done Last week I did naan bread / rolls, with cherry toms, grated carrots and cucumber slices. Biggies help themselves to what the want and I just put an assortment on baby's plate (small pieces). Baby ate what he wanted - sucked tomatoes and cucumber and eat bread.

Tomorrow will be pasta, which baby eats with his hands (as do 2-2.5y):rolleyes: ., but i am not sure if he is going to come for lunch.

It's a small world
26-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I've only just started having a baby (9m) alongside my two other mindees (2-2.5y). Only 2nd time but I have done Last week I did naan bread / rolls, with cherry toms, grated carrots and cucumber slices. Biggies help themselves to what the want and I just put an assortment on baby's plate (small pieces). Baby ate what he wanted - sucked tomatoes and cucumber and eat bread.

Tomorrow will be pasta, which baby eats with his hands (as do 2-2.5y):rolleyes: ., but i am not sure if he is going to come for lunch.

Spooky your childrens ages are the same as mine..Love the ideas will mention to mum when she comes to sign next week what she wants to do and mention these ideas. Thanks

uf353432
26-10-2009, 09:57 PM
I support what ever the parents want - if they want puree I puree - if they adopt baby led weaning I provide adequate finger foods for them to explore. If they want to provide thats fine and I am happy to supply at extra cost to parent. As for the logistics - I don't over think it - it just tends to fall into place

singlewiththree
27-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi

Just wondered what you all did about feeding children of different ages. About to get a 9mth old and have have 2 x 2yr old toddlers....do you just cook the same but puree the babies (unless mum brings baby food) ???????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

I do just that. I make the same food for everyone and it gets mashed or pureed depending on the child for lunch time. I have a 7mth old, 18mth old and my own 3yr old. My own tends to want toastie or sandwich so I make her that but then the other two have the same meal.

The Juggler
27-10-2009, 08:12 AM

ditto! although you still sometimes find me making up small amounts of meals at weekends for those fed entirely on jars:o

Roseolivia
27-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I have a 10mth old, mum supplied food but i've started to make it now as he's eating better. I either make up batches of food (veg pasta, childrens curry, chicken and rice) or make extra if the others are eating something he can eat.

Louise_Oaktree
29-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I do just that. I make the same food for everyone and it gets mashed or pureed depending on the child for lunch time. I have a 7mth old, 18mth old and my own 3yr old. My own tends to want toastie or sandwich so I make her that but then the other two have the same meal.

I have a 10 month old baby starting and I was going to do the same but Mum has emailed me telling me where to get baby stock cubes and now I am stressing about salt levels in my cottage pie etc :eek: All my other babies have had either jars or the same as their parents eat - I have never had to make batches of frozen food before (my own son is 4 now). STRESSED OUT!

The Juggler
29-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I have a 10 month old baby starting and I was going to do the same but Mum has emailed me telling me where to get baby stock cubes and now I am stressing about salt levels in my cottage pie etc :eek: All my other babies have had either jars or the same as their parents eat - I have never had to make batches of frozen food before (my own son is 4 now). STRESSED OUT!

wouldn't buy special baby stock cubes. just use the natural meat juices, leave out gravy and use tomato based sauces instead or a tiny bit of a stock cube and water it down. You can add gravy on for the older children. expensive baby formulated stuff is OK for emergencies but otherwise you can get round it. some great books out there - ABC of healthy eating for babies and toddlers, has great easy ideas but if you look at the recipes you can see how to adapt your normal cooking to suit.

Don't stress. if mum is too picky, she will have to start supplying the food.