PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone keep chickens?

Mouse
26-10-2009, 08:15 PM
We'd love to get some chickens, but haven't got a clue where to start.

We've got a big garden, so plenty of space.

Do you have a pen, house & a run for them?

flora
26-10-2009, 08:23 PM
We have chucks, we leave ours free range , they do from time to time pop into the garden that the kids play in, but not enough to make a poop hazard :D

If you have the room, have a run, you will need a shed and shade in the run and space for them to perch in the shed/ coop.

You get all in one pellets from feed merchants, I prefer allen and page smallholders range as there is no added nasties in this one.

Depending on the breed and size of chuck you are after depends on the size pen/ run you need.

If you need more hlpe pm me.

there is so much to chucks and they are soo much fun, hard to know where to start really :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
26-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I second that, we have chickens ina run and shed all built from recycled material, a bit hotch potch but chooks seem happy and the children love them, as well as collecting the eggs, holding the chickens, feeding them growing sweetcorn for them, baking loads as we have loads of eggs all the time!!!

very worthwhile to have!!

Jenni:)

Ripeberry
26-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I've got chickens and we get a few eggs but as per our local health regulations we are not allowed to give OUR eggs to mindees, they are for familly use only.
This is because they have to be 'Lion' marked for safety.
I don't mind, as the mindees can still help to feed them and collect the eggs they can't have :mad:

ORKSIE
26-10-2009, 10:33 PM
chickens are great. I have non myself but we have a city farm who has them, the kids love em:thumbsup:

angeldelight
27-10-2009, 07:59 AM
oooooooooooh dont tell my hubby - he wants some and I def do not ha ha

Angel xxx

Roseolivia
27-10-2009, 09:06 AM
We're getting chickens. The chicken house is almost complete, it's nearly the size of a shed. Mindees and Rose are excited. We have a huge field at the back of our house and we've fenced some off for the dog so she has a seperate area so we're going to fence some of that off for the chickens.