PDA

View Full Version : The first time!!!

little_gems
26-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I've just had to give notice to a mindee for the first time ever and i feel like i've failed as a childminder. :(
I was really hoping that it wouldn't come to this but after today i feel we had no choice.
Had mindee for 11 weeks and still hasn't settled, he's fine if he's being held.
He come's in fine in a morning but as soon as he's put down then thats it.
It's upsetting the other children.
Today we had to leave the park as he just screamed the whole time we were there.
He doesnt even like sitting in a pushchair or carseat.

mrsgreen
26-10-2009, 05:55 PM
dont beat yourself up. i am sure you gave it a good go. for a child to still not be settled after 11 weeks i think you did the right thing. sometimes it is better for the child to be with someone else where he is settled, its not far to keep him, yourself and your other children uphappy. have some chocolate (any excuse) and hopefully you'll feel a bit better in the morning. xx

jumpinjen
26-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Ah that is tough... I had to give notice in the summer to parents who never paid on time and were causing chaos about the summer holidays and i felt so awful as the children were just lovely and it wasn't their fault but I just couldn't work like that anymore... I learned after that I was the fourth minder that they'd had in 18 months so I wasn't as hopeless as i thought..... does the mum understand why you've gievn notice?

Jenni

youarewhatyoueat
26-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Well done for surviving 11 weeks, you gave it a good go, its not your fault it didn't work out.

little_gems
26-10-2009, 06:10 PM
it was the dad who picked him up tonight he said he does and i said that if he settled down in the notice period then we could dissuss it again.

They've said that he plays at home on his own but the do pick him up as soon as he makes a sound.
One second he will be fine playing with others then seconds later screaming for no reason. even if me and hubby are sat on the floor with him he screams the only time he stops is if he being held.

sarah707
26-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I had a screamer he did settle eventually but it took a long long time and I nearly lost a couple of other children because of the noise.

You've given him a fair go, he's not settling, you can only do your best.

Hope you're ok x

TheBTeam
26-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I have had two screamers, one did settle and one didn't, you cant predict which ones will, think you are right to do what fits for you and your setting, it is certainly not an easy thing to deal with, I am lucky that i have dh here and we kind of take it in turns to do the out of house runs to give the other a break if we need it.

I think if i was on my own I would not be able to continue for anywhere near as long, well done for giving it 11 weeks, that is a long time by anyones standards!

Don't feel bad! Enjoy the feeling of relief!