PDA

View Full Version : anyone go to a mother and toddler group ?

mabel
26-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I help run our village toddler group, we hire the community hall attcahed and run by the school.
In our new terms and conditions they ask for all mums to be CRB (not for the
children in the group who all have their carers with them) but because we
are on school premises.

Anyone else in this situation ??(the law only changed a couple of weeks ago I think)

It is a bit impractical and costly to CRB everyone who may come through the
door, as a small village with limited public transport we have the health visitor
attend one a month to weigh babies, today a granny came who may come twice a year so under the new rules she was have to be CRB.
The head has relented a bit
to our suggestion of having a the commitee CRB, now I have been minding
and have a CRB do you think I should get a new one for the toddler group?
anyone have any experience of this or going through it like us
would love to hear

thanks

moogster1a
26-10-2009, 04:41 PM
how ridiculous. I hate the fact that everyone is now presumed to be a paedophile unless you have a worthless piece of paper. Try to find another hall is my advice, or give the head a detailed run down of all the mothers' sexual practices and inclinations to prove you're not all going to suddenly run amok and start abusing 2 year olds.
makes me so mad.

TheBTeam
26-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Surely they can not expect this, if they are prepared to rent the hall to a toddler group as long as everyone who comes only has access to the local are and not the full school, then this is ridiculous, and if they do have access to the full school then I would not be happy to let my children go to the school!

Surely if the hall is separate from the school, otherwise i do not think it appropriate that they let it during school hours to any groups, and the children are all accompanied by parents/carers, and there are no unknown adults allowed to attend without children, then this is madness.

If the adults have access to unrelated school children then the school are at fault for hiring the hall out, and if they don't they can not expect all parents to be crb checked to bring their child to a toddler group, whatever next crb checks for all parents before you can go in a supermarket!

Ripeberry
26-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Maybe you need to find another venue?:(

mama2three
26-10-2009, 04:52 PM
if your crb is enhanced it should be fine for the group as well as childminding as these are transferable between settings whereas the standard ones arent.
how ridiculous though to expect all parents attending to be crb'd. it would cost a fortune quite apart from anything else. Is there anywhere else you can hire?

youarewhatyoueat
26-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Thats not how I read the new rules, its for regular helpers not carers who bring children. Just because its on school premises shouldn't mean you have access to the school. Our childrens centre is on school premises and they don't expect mums to get crb checks.
My husband helps at a beaver group and he has to have one for that, but I would speak to the school and get clarification of the rules because that is not sensible. I would get in touch with someone from the new vetting and barring register or whoever does the crb's these days.

Is this any help http://www.isa-gov.org/default.aspx?page=314
as it talks about only people working either as a volunteer or paid having to register not parents, there may be more info but I'm a bit busy to check.

Why don't you contact PATA they will know. http://www.pataglos.org.uk/ have you got one in your area.

mabel
26-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks

Yes it seems to be that just committee or leaders need to be CRB checked
otherwise where will it end?
I think because we are working with young children even tho' all the mums
are there, seems strange I can understand it for Beavers as you leave you children in the hands of 'strangers' just think its taking it a bit far when all
mums are in the room !

We have no alternative, only this venue in our village, otherwise we would
of moved as it is very costly anyway but it is a vital service for our community, we can only afford to meet once a week but many say it is better
tha nothing.