PDA

View Full Version : Studying...... motivation please

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Yep we are back to that.... I just cannot get my head round 'back to study'

My neighbour has my kids so the house is quiet, got a bit of music happening in the background..... the scene is set.

I just keep staring at the questions:(

Motivation please... I am determined not to let it all pile up and be last minute like I was last year.

sarah707
26-10-2009, 02:11 PM
What's the first question? Maybe we could get you started :D

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Demonstrate detailed knowledge of evidence/data from a variety of settings (700 words)

These are some of the ideas I have been jotting down already:
Demonstrate detailed knowledge of evidence/data from a variety of settings
intro
Whilst there are statutory and practical guidelines that all settings have to follow, such as the EYFS, no two Settings will work exactly the same. The choice of childcare is wide, ranging from sole providers such as childminders, specific theory setting ie Montessori, through to private and state run nurseries and not forgetting that the EYFS extends through in formal education in the reception classes in school.
IDEAS: other childminders, pre-schools, nursery (state), reception (edu-care), Steiner, Montessori.
During discussions with other childminders there are clear differences in interpretation of guidelines and how we implement EYFS. This is often down to perceptions of childcare and the desire to develop our own practices and the methods we go about in finding the relevant information. The most progressive and often effective childcare establishments are the ones that are willing to learn from their own mistakes and experiences and to investigate methods and theory used in other settings.

conclusions:
The EYFS has provided a clear opportunity for every Setting to work towards a cohesive approach to childcare in England whilst still taking account

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi Pip

Am also here studying! and yesterday - all day:panic: Have just read 5 different chapters all related to professionalism and advocacy and now have to succintly put my thoughts into 500 words! :eek:

Your questions are worded very differently from ours. It's very open to ask for evidence without being specific- is it related to a specific topic/subject.

Your ideas look fine and if it's general evidence of how different settings interpret practice and curriculum I would say you are going the right way. Even Montessori have to show how they meet the EYFS but Steiner schools (I think) have some exemptions from it.

Sorry not much help.

Nikki

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks Juggler! No there is no specific guidance relating to which settings, we just need to show that have knowledge of other types of settings, also along with our own critical reflections.
As I am a c/m I want to evidence how c/ms are independant of each other, how I differ for example to a state run nursery and then the responsibilities of reception year being education but now having to incorporate EYFS which has it overriding basis in play and how similar principles are in place (for example) to a Montessori - ie we use practical concrete experiences.

Well done you for getting into your studies, think I am just getting my brain back into gear! lol

sdean
26-10-2009, 02:35 PM
what course are you doing?? It sounds a challenge - just so I know what not to do in the future!!! lol

sweets
26-10-2009, 02:37 PM
what course are you doing?? It sounds a challenge - just so I know what not to do in the future!!! lol

why? so you can avoid it. lol:laughing:

It all sounds a bit complicated to me, but then again i'm a thicko:laughing:

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Sweets, Sdean you could both do this!!! and Sweets you are NOT a thicko.

The course is the foundation degree year 2.

I just need to go and do a bit of reading up and research on some other settings, go and have a chat to my friend at montessori etc.

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Sweets, Sdean you could both do this!!! and Sweets you are NOT a thicko.

The course is the foundation degree year 2.

I just need to go and do a bit of reading up and research on some other settings, go and have a chat to my friend at montessori etc.

Ditto. if I can do this course, you two, anyone can! No-one is thick it's about how you think and how you use the knowledge you get hold of not the amount of knowledge you have! Pip, sounds like you have it all covered.

It's great you have a friend in montessori so you can pick their brains. I am sure there was a recent article about the steiner school with exemption in nursery world, you can look up the nursery world archives on line if you register. Also the Reggio Emilia and scandinavian pre-schools, would be lovely to compare with or does it have to be UK based?

Good luck, sounds like you're in the flow.

angeldelight
26-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Yep we are back to that.... I just cannot get my head round 'back to study'

My neighbour has my kids so the house is quiet, got a bit of music happening in the background..... the scene is set.

I just keep staring at the questions:(

Motivation please... I am determined not to let it all pile up and be last minute like I was last year.

Sounds like you need a kick up the bum :laughing: :laughing:

Come here and I might be able to help :laughing:

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds like you need a kick up the bum :laughing: :laughing:

Come here and I might be able to help :laughing:

Angel xx

and I bet you would do it with pleasure my little Angel!!! lol

sticks out her tush......:laughing::p :p

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 03:44 PM
It's great you have a friend in montessori so you can pick their brains. I am sure there was a recent article about the steiner school with exemption in nursery world, you can look up the nursery world archives on line if you register. Also the Reggio Emilia and scandinavian pre-schools, would be lovely to compare with or does it have to be UK based?

Good luck, sounds like you're in the flow.

ahhh thank you Juggler, I will have a look at the NW website - no it doesn't have to be UK based thankfully.

I am wondering if I do a table to compare the elements of principle as an appendix and then I have it clearly set out. hmmm that might be the way to go. I can already see the parallels etc between childminders (home based care) and montessori/steiner theory, the parallel for EYFS - Te Whariki and Forest School.
So i then need to 'critically reflect' how this information informs professional practice (ie mine - EYFS current guidelines)

phew - talking all that out helps loads - thank you

David Sheppard
26-10-2009, 03:57 PM
A couple of other suggestions.

The Scandinavian model of not sending children to school until aged 7/8. Play oriented upbringing until then, followed by intensive formal education. Although they do not learn to read before going to school, by age 11 they have all surpassed the UK learning model of starting as early as 4!

Penn Green centre of excellence.

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Thats great, thank you David.
That will tie in with my later essays about formal learning - ages and focusing more on play

mama2three
26-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I had been considering the foundation degree.
until i read this thread!!

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I had been considering the foundation degree.
until i read this thread!!

you CAN do it.... - the first year eases you in gently - promise! (this is second year stuff and once you take out the jargonistic questions its ok!)

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I am wondering if I do a table to compare the elements of principle as an appendix and then I have it clearly set out. hmmm that might be the way to go. I can already see the parallels etc between childminders (home based care) and montessori/steiner theory, the parallel for EYFS - Te Whariki and Forest School.
So i then need to 'critically reflect' how this information informs professional practice (ie mine - EYFS current guidelines)

phew - talking all that out helps loads - thank you

a pleasure! the table sounds like a great idea then you can evaluate and just refer to the detail as you need. I forgot about forest schools and te whariki, they are great comparisons. if you use those examples you'll find great links to EYFS as there's little bits of each approach in the different principles of the EYFS.

as you can see I am only managing to cope with studying today by numerous visits to the forum between chunks of reading and writing:laughing:

mama2three
26-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Ive worked i a variety of settings , even set up a forest school - but doing it and explaining it are very different things! Or maybe im getting old. dont think my degree 20 plus years ago scared me as much as that question!!!

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Ive worked i a variety of settings , even set up a forest school - but doing it and explaining it are very different things! Or maybe im getting old. dont think my degree 20 plus years ago scared me as much as that question!!!

if you set up a forest school then you probably understand most of the principles the FD would teach you anyhow. It's all about challenging/questioning different ways of practising early years. you'll get used to the writing! Mind you if you have a degree already probably no - need. what was it in?

mama2three
26-10-2009, 04:43 PM
psychology. but i never finished it ( young in love and stupid!)so it doesnt count and its so long ago i cant carry forward any points either!

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 04:52 PM
psychology. but i never finished it ( young in love and stupid!)so it doesnt count and its so long ago i cant carry forward any points either!

boo! you still did the learning, so should still count.:( i think you'd love the FD, there is so much psychology involved.

mama2three
26-10-2009, 04:56 PM
am going to look into funding available and then go for it i think. hope you're all happy to put up with the endless questions ill have!

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 05:21 PM
am going to look into funding available and then go for it i think. hope you're all happy to put up with the endless questions ill have!

absolutely!