PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Care Headache !!

loobyloo168
26-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

I called OFSTED today to enquire about what time bracket over nightcare is. Originally she told me 10pm to 6am, but then said its 8pm til 6am.

She then went on to say that i could look after a child from say 4pm til 10pm and because the majority of the care would be done beofore 8pm this is ok. But what if it was 4pm til midnight, its even time ?

The only reason i ask is that a doctor is coming to see me on Wenesday about occasional care for his 10 month old son, and i want to be precise on the information i give him regarding how late i can work, as it was something he seemed quite interested in.

She did give me a link to the standards site, but its giving me a headache looking for it on there.

I would apply for overnight care but i dont have a spare room available and there not enough room in my daughter room for a cot or bed.

Any info appreciated xxxx

misspinkkat
26-10-2009, 01:33 PM
sorry cant really help about the times but just wanted to tell yo I am registered for overnight care, but purely for an emergency, I only have a two bed house and two boys but ofstead registered me for it because I told them why I wanted it and that I could put a child into my room and I could bunk in with my own children hth x

Daftbat
26-10-2009, 03:56 PM
My understanding of overnight care is that a licence covers you for caring for children whilst you yourself are asleep.

I have an overnight licence but i also work till nine pm occassioanlly and i don't consider that it is eating in to overnight at all.

I must have had three inspections whilst providing overnight care and these hours you have been told have NEVER come up in any conversations i have had.

Hebs
26-10-2009, 04:55 PM
i am registered for overnight care, i dont have a spare room but i put my son in with me and mindees use my son's bed (clean bedding on etc)
i'm actually fully booked for the next 3 weekends for overnight care :laughing:

TheBTeam
26-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Do you need any additional things for overnight care, we were told Fire Doors were a must.

mama2three
26-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Im reg for overnight and havent anything 'extra' at all , just a normal house!

Hebs
26-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Do you need any additional things for overnight care, we were told Fire Doors were a must.

nope not told that here :thumbsup:

Goatgirl
26-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm registered for overnight too and have normal doors. My understanding is that the mindee would have to have a room to him/herself... but I could be wrong: didn't ask! If the child is going home to sleep e.g. if you had baby till midnight, I wouldn't count that personally as overnight care....
Maybe see what the Dad wants first, then get Ofsted to put in writing why its ok.. or not.

Playmate
26-10-2009, 05:24 PM

As far as I know BTeam that is only in Herts (what a suprise!!) Although I was talking to the new NCMA Inclusion Worker the other day who seems to think things may have changed and is urging us to apply in order to offer restbite care. Still thinking about it at the moment, will let you know if I hear any different.

loobyloo168
26-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Is having a travel cot or ready bed for older children downstairs acceptable ?

I sleep downstairs most time anyway due to my partners snoring !
So its not as if they would be left down stairs on there own.

I might consider registering for overnight care if it is acceptable.

mama2three
26-10-2009, 06:22 PM
One of my bedrooms is downstairs and i told mrs o at my prereg that this would be likely to be where mindee slept. She pointed out it would be very difficult to produce an acceptable fire plan if mindee was on a seperate level to myself - what if the fire seperated us for example.

jumpinjen
26-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi,

if you look in the last but one page of the EYFS booklet in the pack (the thin one, it says that overnight care is classed as a child being there for the majority of hours between 8pma nd six am,

So iof the child is with you from 4pm til midnight, it's fine as they are only four hours into the 'nighttime time' if they were with you from 8pm until 2am, that wouldn't be as they are with you for six hours out of the ten and that is the majority of the 'nightime time'

hope that helps, jenni :)

loobyloo168
27-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Thank you everyone. It's alot
clearer now xx