PDA

View Full Version : Sharing

LisaMcNally09
26-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone

I have a 2 and a half year old mindee, boy called N. He is an only child and this is his 2nd week with me.

He's a lovely little boy but of course as an only child he's not used to sharing!

He wants everything anyone else has got. If another child drops something he runs to piock it up then pretends he was playing with it. Now dont get me wrong this is all to be expected when he is an only child.

Just wanting any sharing game ideas or other tips you may have. Ive tried talking to everyone about all the toys are mine and i share with them all but I dont think they really understand what im saying

Thanks in advance!!!

angiemog
26-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I have been in a similiar situation with 2 1/2 year old girl. I've had her now for 6 weeks and she is lots better. I have been consistant with her. If she takes a toy away from any child then I take it off her and give it back. I was given the advice of lots of praise when she does share. I don't make a big issue out her taking the toy I just say x was playing that you can play with it when they have finished. I too tried to say they are my toys....... but they all look blank! lol Good Luck, it really does get easier.

green puppy
26-10-2009, 01:40 PM
It's all children that find sharing difficult, not just children with no siblings, especially when communication is still limited. As said above be consistant in explaining in terms appropriate for age and distract the child with another toy. I have a post box that I use, so each child ( 2 yrs, 20 mths and 15 mths ) can take a turn in posting the letters, also jigsaws, a song bag ( each takes a turn to pick out a prop for a song ). Just keep encouraging and lots of praise when the child gives the toy back themself.

Tired
26-10-2009, 04:05 PM
try turn taking games, such as rolling a ball or car between you and the child, or involve more people, sit in a circle, and pass something round, a bit like pass the parcel.

I know this isnt exactly the same as sharing, but if the child learns about turns, and realises they always do get a go eventually, it might help.

Also try dividing a toy up fairly, e.g lego, saying "one for you and one for me." Child will learn that some things can be shared, that they have soem lego to play with and so do you.