PDA

View Full Version : am I right to think I cannot give cough medicine

mozarella
26-10-2009, 11:47 AM
The mum left a note on our daily diary this monring to give cough medicine to the children after lunch, it is in the children's bag, off the counter medicine.

But I am righ to think i am not allowed to give it without presciption ( I can only give calpol and teething gel / powder)

Moz

tammerisk
26-10-2009, 11:59 AM
if the child is under two def not give without it being on perscription not to sutre about the other i think it depends on your policy and if you have prior writen permition

ORKSIE
26-10-2009, 12:03 PM
You can give meicine so long as you have a medication consent form filled in by you and signed and dated by yourself an parent.
It needs to state name of Medication. Dose, time last given at home and everytime you administer.
If it is unprescribed you also need a unprescribed medication form too

HTH

mama2three
26-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I would say you have prior written permission here , on the diary. Id have a medication sheet all filled out for her to sign when she came to collect , and remind her that she needs to fill one in before you can give meds in future.

twiggy
26-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I went on a First Aid course at the weekend and was told I'm not allowed to give anything which is not prescribed by a doctor. I can only give Calpol if prescribed by a doctor. I had previously got a consent signed for Calpol and then phoned the parent before I gave the dose. I think they are working on the theory that if a child is ill enough to need Calpol they should not be with us. I disagree with this as a parent is not going to be able to take time off each time their child has a cold.

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 12:38 PM
The EYFS says:

medicines should not usually be adminstered unless they have been prescribed for that child by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist. Non prescription medication may be adminstered but only with the prior written consent of the parent and only when there is a health reason to do so.

providers MUST keep written records of all medicines administered to children and inform parents

So yes we can give non-scrip medication

twiggy
26-10-2009, 12:47 PM
The booklet I have been given on my First Aid course says under the Statutory guidance to which providers should have regard:

Medicines should only be taken to a setting when this is essential and settings should only accept medicines that have been prescribed by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist.

I was also told we are not to have antiseptic wipes in our first aid box although 3 years ago we could so long as they were alcohol free.

I'm confused now as to what we can and can't do.

twiggy
26-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Just been on Ofsted's website...... my First aid booklet is wrong and I have found a factsheet called Administration of medication to children in registered childcare ref 080290. I will be taking a copy of this to my course next week to show them. I was just about to write to all my parents next week telling them I can no longer give Calpol etc.

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 01:24 PM
The booklet I have been given on my First Aid course says under the Statutory guidance to which providers should have regard:

Medicines should only be taken to a setting when this is essential and settings should only accept medicines that have been prescribed by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist.

I was also told we are not to have antiseptic wipes in our first aid box although 3 years ago we could so long as they were alcohol free.

I'm confused now as to what we can and can't do.

re the antiseptic wipes - I have just finished my (update) of first aid and no you are not supposed to have antiseptic wipes in a kit. If in any doubt get in touch with a first aid provider (ie St Johns) or your EY team.