PDA

View Full Version : Terminating a contract

misspinkkat
26-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Sorry I dont post on here here really but always have a look around for useful information, and ideas but today I think I need some personal help if you dont mind?
I am a mum of a 3yo and a 10yo, I am also minding A, a 2yo from 8-18.30 Monday to Friday, a few months after I took A on A's parent said her neighbour needed a child minder, met the parent breifly, she said she wanted me for the same hours as A and if i did the contracts and dropped them off she would have them filled out for when he started, I was impressed at how well B settled in, and the parent had filled out every form even the really long infomation (getting to know them form) one, I was impressed :)
I have had B for about 8 weeks now and B really is lovely, but A+B do argue all the time they chase around (they dont when they are on their own) The parent is always early on my contracts i have fees for out of hours, when it was 10 minutes I didnt say any thing, last week it was 25 minutes early, I text her to say how much she owed for the next week and that the extra was because B was so early, parent said it's because they didnt have the car, but the extra money didnt come with my normal fees (im so soft and didnt say anything) and they did it again a few days later.
I found out in the last couple of weeks the parent only works till 2 ish yet B is left with me till 18.30 ~ I know I get paid for it so that isnt really an issuue but
Friday I had a dreadful migraine so text the parent at lunch time to say I wasnt sure if she wanted me to but I wouldnt be able to Drive B home (quite often this is sprung on me at last minute) because of the migraine, Parent text back and said ok i'll get B, Parent turned up at 18.25, I know i didnt ask her to come early but personally if my child was left with someone not feeling well I would want to take off the pressure,
now maybe I have been lucky up till now but the parent just doesnt seem to care, I put all of my heart into my job, I bend over backwards to help the parents as much as I can too, I still have a dull headache today A's parent asked if I was okay? and if I needed to call and would come home from work early (is it too much to ask for all parents to be like that, especially when B's wasnt even at work in the afternoon?)
not only have I had the problems with the parents but A defintly isnt as happy as he was, his parent has even commented that she thinks its to do with B, my lo is stroppy and would rather play alone than with A + B when they are together, is this reason enough to give notice (I have to give 6 weeks as I have holiday inbetween) and if it is, is "having two extra toddlers full time having a negative impact on my family" a Valid reason?
thanks for reading I would really appreciate you opinions?
xx

little chickee
26-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I would say that if you really feel that you are not happy and you want to give notice - if you feel that it would be the best thing to do for you - then give notice. As i have learned from people on this forum you do not have to give an exact reason - "due to a change in circumstances" is enough.

I wouldnt say that having the extra toddlers is having a negative impact on your family as it implies that the kids are too challenging for you. Just give the correct amount of notice - give yourself a break then maybe start to look for a mindee that would fit in a bit better.

mumx3
26-10-2009, 02:41 PM
If things are not working and you can afford to give up B then you should. If you will be happier and it will have a positive impact then give notice.

Remember you are self employed and it is up to you who you work for. You can give whatever reason you like, but it is your decision,

Good luck! Whatever you decide.

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 02:47 PM
i think hunny, that its time to take control of the situation.

If you want to terminate then you do the letter giving the date of the last day of minding. You don't have to give a reason at all but, change of circumstances covers a multitude of sins!!!

It sounds like, providing you 'get tuff' you could make this work (but don't let that sway you - you MUST do what is right for you and yours).

Get tuff I mean - no more early arrivals, no more driving child home - practise saying no. You need to say what you mean (to ask for) ie - can you collect child xx within the next hour as I am unwell. Hard and fast rules and boundaries for all the children and don't be scared of implementing consequences.

Remember above all - this is YOUR business and you run it way you want

youarewhatyoueat
26-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I would suggest cutting B's hours so at least you could have a peaceful few hours at the end of the day. Thats a long day for your children as well. Could mum pick up earlier.

miffy
26-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I think you have to decide whether you really want to give notice or if you'd be happy to continue if all the little niggles were sorted out.

If you really want to give notice then you don't have to give any reason at all but you could say change of circumstances if that would stop any discussion.

If you decide to carry on then you have to sort out the dropping off early and you giving lifts home (you aren't a taxi service!) etc, so you'll need to talk to the parents and start charging if it continues.

Think the idea of reducing B's hours is a good one too.

Good luck, let us know what you decide

Miffy xx

Daftbat
26-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I think i would look to terminate contract. I have had some difficult children and parents in my time but luckily if they have not got on with other children then its only been for a few hours here and there that they have overlapped rather than the full time situation that you have. Its definitely got to be sorted out especially as you have two issues here - the children and the second lot of parents who seem to be difficult.

misspinkkat
27-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Thank you all for the replys I had a good think about it last night and have decided to be really strict with the parents up until my holiday, and see what difference it makes, also keep on with the positive distraction with A + B
and if nothing has changed then I will give them my notice
Thanks again x

David Sheppard
27-10-2009, 07:39 AM
There is an old saying, 'you give an inch, they take a mile' :angry:

This is YOUR childminding business, in YOUR home, and under YOUR rules. As hard as it is, you MUST take a firm grip on your parents and stand up for your rights.

As has been said, DO NOT drop off, DO NOT accept being treated in this way, and most of all, BE PROUD of yourself and the very important childcare service you provide.

And, welcome to the forum, your contibution is equally as important as everyone elses - good luck.

David

chels55
27-10-2009, 07:51 AM
I never realised if there was a holiday in between you had to take that into account.

The Juggler
27-10-2009, 08:11 AM
There is an old saying, 'you give an inch, they take a mile' :angry:

This is YOUR childminding business, in YOUR home, and under YOUR rules. As hard as it is, you MUST take a firm grip on your parents and stand up for your rights.

As has been said, DO NOT drop off, DO NOT accept being treated in this way, and most of all, BE PROUD of yourself and the very important childcare service you provide.

And, welcome to the forum, your contibution is equally as important as everyone elses - good luck.

David

Totally agree. From today, tell her you are not able to drop or collect any more. You never know if you are firm she may beg you to stay if she behaves. But, if not as everyone else has said, I would give notice.

Good luck.