PDA

View Full Version : Observations - am I doing this right

Miriam
25-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I am probably going about this in a very long winded way but I like how I am doing it but want to be sure Ofsted will be happy as I have an inspection looming :panic:

I have just started doing observations and I basically use a picture of the child doing something then describe it underneath then put how it links to the EYFS and I go through each of the six areas of learning and dev and go through each of the sub sections ie. Dispositions and attitudes, self confidence/esteem etc for PSED, then for each one I write my next steps. If a certain area of learning and dev isnt covered in that observation I just leave it out and try and cover it in another observation. Then in my planning for the week I try to note what each childs next steps are and incorporate that into the activities we are doing. (Although some of my activitivies are already planned and I will just draw observations from them).

Does this sound ok? I really hope so, it is taking a long time so I think maybe I am going into too much depth. Surely though Ofsted will give me some credit for trying. :(

sarah707
26-10-2009, 06:57 AM
That all sounds really, really good in theory.

My only question is how often are you do it?

If you tell me you're doing this as an overview of a week or so, then that's fine.

If you're sitting trying to do that every day, I'd say you're writing way too much!!

Your individual obs can be weekly - sometimes nothing much will happen one week then 2 things happen the next that you want to write down.

i aim for a range of obs over the 6 areas of l & d every month, plus a photo or a wow moment...

Your individual planning can be weekly to go with your quick obs... they don't need to be written up as you are watching and listening to children every day, it's part of your job.

So Jack does xxx today and you plan yyy for him tomorrow to meet his interests and stretch his learning...

You should have a rhythm going - watch and listen... make note of what's happening in your head or on paper... plan next steps... watch how it goes... etc.

Hth :D