PDA

View Full Version : treasure sacks

Bex1
25-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello

I have some treasure sacks to introduce to children ie

sack of long materials so they can twirl them around, pull them along floor and these are all different colours

sack of different textures, fleece, suede, plastic, perspex, wood, paper etc

sack of boxes, cartons etc of all different shapes and sizes from yoghurt pots, tissue box, plastic cartons etc.

sack of rough and smooth, pomice stone, soft sponge, fir cones, nail brush, soft flannel, wooden balls, soft foam balls.

Do I just leave these out for the children to go and get out when they want too or should I plan an activity to sit them down and let them loose on them for a period of time?

Becky

Heaven Scent
25-10-2009, 07:30 PM
You can do both - leave them out for the babies/younger ones and plan activities for the older ones.

sarah707
26-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Those sound lovely! thank you for inspiring us :D

Bex1
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Thank you.

I put the treasure sacks out and sat down with little girl (18 mths) and sat back and watched her explore the contents! Her fav was the sack of plastic containers, yoghurt pots etc and she sat for about 20 mins stacking the yoghurt pots on top of each other :) she also like the sack with the different materials, in particular the bendy perspex in red and green as she put them up to her eyes to look through as everything turned a different colour!

I made an obs of her with the sacks i.e her concentration and perserverance with the stacking of the pots and how she only used her right hand. She would stack on top of each other, then take them off, then stack again, then take off, she was at it for ages but seemed really engrossed in it!

Would her next steps be to introduce other resources to stack ie duplo bricks of stacking cups?

Becky

motherlove
01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi,
The treasure basket sounds very good and the idea of the bricks too, as it helps with hand and eye coordination. I have prepared some treasure baskets for my children and they love investigating inside them and taking the objects out.
Another idea is to explore the different items together and introduce some words such as rough or smooth according to them, don't forget that talking to children is vital and these are difficult words for them. Also, the concept of big and small and the differences. Another idea is to build towers and let the child knock them down, the children have great fun with this, the next step would be to teach them to build the tower for themselves.

I hope that this helps

carlen222
25-01-2010, 06:41 PM
FANTASTIC!!!!!:clapping: