PDA

View Full Version : snack time

Bex1
25-10-2009, 05:49 PM
When you have snack time do your mindees sit to the table? I use to have a little table with messy mat underneath and the children would come and choose with fruit they wanted i.e. have a plate of grapes, plate of chopped apples, plate of melon etc as I wanted snack time to be informal and the children had to make their own choice as to what they wanted to eat and how much. Now I think I should put them up to table but wanted to see what you all do!

Thanks

David Sheppard
25-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi,

We have snack time all over the place. If the sun is shining we often get the 'magic carpet' out on the grass, or on the patio. We also have another play mat for our Family Room where the children can choose to sit. Also, there is the Den / Play room and the dining end of the kitchen.

One of us often reads a story at snack time. It is fun, enjoyable, educational and very good for the children to combine their healthy snack choices with some quiet time before they are off again refuelled and ready for action!

Regards,

David

Bex1
25-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks David, yes in the summer months we had snack time out side in the garden etc but I usually have it in the lounge but started to worry this is not classed as clean, even though I am very strict with hygiene etc I didnt want Mr and Mrs Ofsted to look down upon me for having such informal snack time! I like to allow the children to take their time with the snack, know they can pick and choose what they want!

Thanks

sarah707
25-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I involve the children in choosing, preparing and laying the table for snack - plates, drinks cups, water to share etc.

They also helped me recently when re-writing our snack menu.

We all sit together and use it as a chance to talk about what we are doing next / what we have enjoyed etc. :D

Bitsy Beans
25-10-2009, 07:14 PM
We eat ours at the table, either indoors or outdoors.
I don't let them in the lounge as quite frankly I get sick of the crumbs etc :o

The Juggler
25-10-2009, 07:29 PM
we do table/outdoors and lounge. usually take opportunity to read a story as it's longest i can get them sitting still.

LOL

madasahatter
25-10-2009, 07:41 PM
If we are indoors we have snack at a table (either the dining table or a little table in the kitchen). The children choose what fruit they want and often help chop it up. Outdoors we sometimes use a child sized plastic table or the picnic rug, depending on how dry the ground is. As Sarah said it is a good time to reflect on what we have done so far that day and what the children want to do next. One of my current mindees is into making up her own little songs which she often regales us with at snacktime. She made up a lovely one about a cat going mieow the other day.
I don't allow food or drinks in the lounge during minding hours. It can be funny watching the 18 month old mindee walk into the lounge with her beaker (water), stop look at it and turn back and put it on the low table in the dining room. I've only told her a handful of times!

Pipsqueak
25-10-2009, 07:49 PM
We have snack wherever the mood takes us - we have been known to sit in the tree-house (the den at the top of the adventure center), in the playhouse etc.

Kids do the cups, plates etc, they get the fruit out (or whatever we are having) etc.

The one thing I do insist on though is sitting down to eat, not running about and eating

little chickee
25-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Outside when the weather allows other than that i'm afraid im a bit strict and everyone - myself included - sits at the table for snack. I do not allow any food or drink outside of the kitchen.

singingcactus
25-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a snack bar - dried fruit, cheerios, yoghurt drops etc in a party tray. The kids help themselves from it whenever. I put it out about 10ish then put it away at 11.30 so they are not eating too close to lunch. It is small amounts on the tray so I monitor how much each child consumes but it is a general graze snack during the morning, as the child feels hungry they go grab some food. We also have an open access fruit bowl they can help themselves from whenever.
We have tables and chairs around, and cushions and mats on the floor, they eat their food where they feel like.
Meal times however, they all sit together and we practise our table manners.

nannymcflea
25-10-2009, 10:14 PM
A mat on the floor in the lounge. Kids helped to carry fruit and plates bowls in(wash hands next!) then helped to cut up the banana,apple etc then helped to share it into the bowl. Story time, I would then wipe over the mat when they had finished then it got slid back under the sofa.My table is quite wide so kids couldn't help to share the stuff into the bowls.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-10-2009, 07:47 AM
We have our snacks whereever we are unless it is messy food.

Like others we will have biscuits and raisons in the lounge but soft fruit, strawberries and oranges especially are eaten up a table.

I teach mine to drink straight from a cup from 6 months onwards so we always have drinks in the kitchen - no exceptions but they are able to get to them all day.

If the weather is ameanable then we are outside and have been known to have marshmallows and hot chocolate in the snow rather than come in!

Do what fits in with you.

The Juggler
26-10-2009, 08:51 AM
The one thing I do insist on though is sitting down to eat, not running about and eating

me too! especially as I do allow eating in the lounge.

mama2three
26-10-2009, 08:55 AM
a cm in my local area had a criticism from mrs o at her inspection that by always eating at the table she was not taking into account cultural differences and should consider all sitting on the floor at times! :eek: