PDA

View Full Version : Example of recent development

Angela234
25-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi i have to answer a question as the title says; Example of a recent development on childcare or childminding?

Then Why do you think it is?

I can't think of any major recent ones that i could answer the 2nd question too

Any ideas anyone?

Pipsqueak
25-10-2009, 07:59 AM
A recent development: eg/ ECAT - every child a talker or 2 year old pilot project (if you area is involved)
OR EYFS, thats a recent development (only 1yr old) !

or does the question refer to something more personal re your practice?

why do you think that is?
ECAT - government initiative to help children develop their talking skills, as there were so many going into nursery/school with lack of basic communciation skills.

2yr old pilot project - reaching out to children in the most deprived/disadvantaged circumstances and offering them 10hrs per week in a 'setting'.

EYFS - you know about that!

Angela234
25-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks Pip i don't think i,ve heard about ECAT looks interesting think i'll look into that one

Yes they are starting 2 year pilot project here didn't think about that

I did put down under where you do look to keep up to date with new developments i put THE CHILDMINDING FORUM as the first answer

Thanks again

grindal
25-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I had to answer this same question as part of my Network Assessment. I put down the introduction of the EYFS and the use of observations to facilitate next step planning for all mindees.

David Sheppard
25-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi,

Here are a couple of other options to consider:

1. Community Childminding - It has only been running in Hamshire for about 6 months. The idea is to support the Social Services by offering emergency placements of children from 0 to the teenagers for up to 28 days (24-7), whilst the child is found a Foster Carer. I'm not certain if this is up and running everywhere but is very new. My wife and I have already had one (14 year old) lad who was placed with us with 3 hours notice and stayed for the full 28 days.

2. Early Years Professional Status - as this has only been around for a very short time and only a small number of childminders have achieved the status it would fit the bill. The purpose is to have at least one person educated to degree level in every Early Years setting by 2012 / 2015. The EYP would be an 'Agent for Change', 'Lead Practice' and affect the development of staff and children alike.

Regards,

David Sheppard EYP

Pipsqueak
25-10-2009, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=David Sheppard;558951]Hi,

Here are a couple of other options to consider:

1. Community Childminding - It has only been running in Hamshire for about 6 months. The idea is to support the Social Services by offering emergency placements of children from 0 to the teenagers for up to 28 days (24-7), whilst the child is found a Foster Carer. I'm not certain if this is up and running everywhere but is very new. My wife and I have already had one (14 year old) lad who was placed with us with 3 hours notice and stayed for the full 28 days.

QUOTE]

I am a community minder David, our scheme has been running for a couple of years now with massive success, I believe other areas have looked at implementing our model of it.
We use the CCF criteria to be on the network along with some other criteria. Various childminders have their areas of 'expertise' such as speech and language, a few do overnights/long terms (ie the 28 days) etc.
Via the network we work with the referrals from various schemes such as the 2yr old project, good practice/ drop in sessions, ECAT lead practitioners, Inclusive Minding and lots lots more!

Angela234
25-10-2009, 05:43 PM
It's community childminding i'm looking at doing i wasn't sure how resent the development the question was about was meant to be here they are setting this community CM up they hope to get about 20 minders in Cornwall nearest to me is 14 miles away

I have search online a see that ECAT has been around for awhile in some areas

I know 2 year pilot scheme is starting here so think i'll go with this a little girl i care for might get it