PDA

View Full Version : christmas trees?

sweets
24-10-2009, 08:24 PM
All this talk of christmas as got me thinking (although i know its ridiculously early as i dont really DO christmas till december)

Do you have christmas trees up with crawling mindees? i always have a tree but this year i will have two crawlers, one may be just walking.

is it going to be a nightmare having a tree up?

i could have a small table top one up but i dont know where that will go! and they will prob still be able to GET IT!:laughing:

Blackhorse
24-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I will get a tree!!
I actually already have one...but he is planted in the garden...and will get decorated each year in december...so they cant get that one..(it is in the front garden not the back)

for the one in the house..I will get a little one and my decorations will be a traditional austrian farmers xmas tree
it will have wooden figures, straw stars, little apples and red candles (not at the bottom of the tree).
so nothing really that can break and cause an injury...but I will try and put it up somewhere so they cant get to it too easily.

we used to have cats that would always jump into the tree so we started tying the tree to the wall (in a corner of the room) so that it couldnt fall over...We had screwed hooks into the door frame for that...:rolleyes:

PixiePetal
24-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I have an artificial one, they learn not to touch and I don't leave them unattended. I don't put glass baubles near the bottom, or other really tempting things - chocs have to go high up with the dog about :rolleyes:

Maybe I have been lucky. This year, in new house, the tree will be in the sitting room away from kids in playroom :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
24-10-2009, 08:55 PM
have a real tree but have a room divider I can put around it if I needed to.

Mollymop
24-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes I whave a christmas tree. I know it sounds harsh but why should my xmas celebrations be changed? What did you do when your child was crawling..that is what I think. Last year my mindee was just walking and I was worried she would pull my tree over but after a few "no, don't touch it!!" she never wnet near it anymore.

I am sure it will be fine

Chatterbox Childcare
24-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I always have a tree and spend quite a bit saying no.

Tiger Lilly
24-10-2009, 09:05 PM
i hadnt even thought about it.....

do we have to do a christmas tree risk assesment.......

Mollymop
24-10-2009, 09:11 PM
i hadnt even thought about it.....

do we have to do a christmas tree risk assesment.......

YES!!!!!!:laughing: :clapping: :clapping:

Tiger Lilly
24-10-2009, 09:18 PM

like i wont be busy keeping the babies away from it, i will have to find time to do more paperwork..LOL:clapping: :jump for joy: :laughing: :laughing:

Blackhorse
24-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I'd like you to go to austria/switzerland/germany and do a christmas tee assessment there!!!!!

they tend to be all real trees with real candles and real sparklers on them.

we used to always have a bucket of water in the kitchen when the candles where on...:cool:

it is not so bad on the 24th which is when we celebrate christmas and also when we put up our trees....but come january there are some house fires throughout the country...

Noodles
24-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes I whave a christmas tree. I know it sounds harsh but why should my xmas celebrations be changed? What did you do when your child was crawling..that is what I think. Last year my mindee was just walking and I was worried she would pull my tree over but after a few "no, don't touch it!!" she never wnet near it anymore.

I am sure it will be fine

I agree totally mollymop we have a 7 ft tree that touches the ceiling in the living room and nothing is going to stop me putting it up. you just need to reinforce the rules i had little mindees last year and had no problems at all.
I do a risk assessment for christmas decorations.

babs
24-10-2009, 09:28 PM
i was only thinking of my tree this morning not sure if i should put mine up at all everything on it is glass..... my son or my neices never touched it but not so sure bout the 1 yr old shes into everything and gives u that cheeky grin when u say no dont touch ...... but she an :littleangel:

Zoemum2four
25-10-2009, 07:46 AM

OMG :eek: Please tell me you are joking !!!!!!!! :D

Stanfield
25-10-2009, 07:52 AM
i AM BUYING A SMALLER TREE THIS YEAR (ATRIFICIAL) (OOpps CAPS!?) and putting it up on a table in the corner so they can't reach (mostly for my own baby really):idea:

Also I want a really easy Christmas this year and its always me who puts everyting up, then taking it all down alone is horrid!:panic:

mama2three
25-10-2009, 07:53 AM
been wondering about mine too , but ive decided to put it in the corner and position the settees so they cant ( easily) get to it. Ive got lots of antique glass decorations , passed down from my grandma , so will leave those off i think but more because of the risk to them than the risk to the kids!!!! Ill put them on later when the schools break up as Im term time only. I get all precious about my tree - no-one is allowed to touch it! but i do have a smaller one that the kids can help decorate and they will be allowed to touch / discover / explore /(break!!) that one as everything on it is safe.
All excited now , i lurve christmas!!

FizzysFriends
25-10-2009, 08:32 AM
When are your trees going up then?

Bitsy Beans
25-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I am currently doing my December planning and getting all excited about Christmas <insert sad icon>
My tree will be going up 1st December and no one can stop me ;)

Fortunately my mindee is 3 and is pretty good at not touching things she shouldn't. It will be DD I have to watch (by that time she will be 18 months) she's already into everything so I imagine December is going to be a testing time :eek: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
25-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Our tree will be going up beg dec :clapping:

It will be huge and real :laughing:

mandy moo
25-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I put ours up the day the kids break up, so the house is decorated for when they come in from school

Shivvie
25-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Hee hee! I'm really excited about Christmas already! It's only 61 days :clapping:

We're putting our tree up on the weekend of 28th November :eek: (for the children's benefit of course ;) ) and I can't wait!!!

janminder
25-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I only have a 4ft artificial tree, so no dropping needles, and it goes on a unit and is out of reach. I don't put it up until after the middle of december. Last year my daughter put her tree in the playpen.

Only 61 days :panic:

Merry-Minder
25-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Im expecting Ofsted to come soon for my first full inspection, and there is a good chance they may come when my tree is up, and now im worrying about what I need to do with it so I can safely pass? do I have to get my electric fairy lights PAT tested etc????

My tree goes up sometime after my sons birthday whick is the 7th Dec - I dont like him to think his bday if over shadowed by crimbo

mummyroysof3
25-10-2009, 01:50 PM
my mum lives away and usually visits the weekend before christmas but is coming earlier this year so my tree is going up on the 10th december:thumbsup:

charlotte x

gemhei
25-10-2009, 02:41 PM
We have a real one thats in a pot in the garden, we bring it in near xmas. Its not the children i have to worry about its the dog! The tree is only 5ft and sits on the sideboard, away from children. The only thing i have to do is ensure the older ones dont switch the lights onto flashing mode as my west highland terrier Steve goes crazy and knocks it over!!

A bit of a while before i bring the tree in though! :panic:

helenlc
25-10-2009, 07:47 PM
My tree is 7' foot tall and about 6 ' wide all around the bottom!! Its lovely and I will be putting it up.

We moved the front room around in the summer when we re-decorated. I am going to move my dining table around and put the tree there. It will be slightly shielded by my sofas. I will have a 11 mth old and 18 mth old so am expecting to have to be on my toes a lot!

The last couple of years that I have been minding I have put the precious sentimental ornaments nearer the top.

But I have to say that so far, touch wood, I havent had any trouble. I have told the children as soon as its up that no-one to touch it and thats that. End of.

Mine goes up on the 1st December every year.

Twinkles
25-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I remember teaching little ones to blow the decorations rather than touch them. It's just soooo tempting to want to see them move. If they blow them they still get the pretty effect but no damage :D

loocyloo
25-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I remember teaching little ones to blow the decorations rather than touch them. It's just soooo tempting to want to see them move. If they blow them they still get the pretty effect but no damage :D

thats a good idea!

my tree goes up on advent sunday! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

i love decorating for christmas!

apart from a few years ago when the OLDER sibling of a little mindee came to collect and WOULD NOT leave the tree alone :( , i have never had anything broken on the tree! they are all told not to touch!

xxx

Winnie
25-10-2009, 08:58 PM
My tree always goes up in the week before Christmas & so far (fingers crossed etc etc) in all the years i think i've only had one or two decorations broken :) I spend a lot of time saying 'be careful' 'n...o..o' 'lets leave the tree alone shall we' :laughing:

little chickee
25-10-2009, 09:14 PM
When are your trees going up then?

My tree ( complete with decorations and lots of " no don't touch" to the lo's) goes up on 10th December every year. Its a bit of an anniversary of something sad and i do it in memory of that.

mrsgreen
26-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I am currently doing my December planning and getting all excited about Christmas <insert sad icon>
My tree will be going up 1st December and no one can stop me ;)

Fortunately my mindee is 3 and is pretty good at not touching things she shouldn't. It will be DD I have to watch (by that time she will be 18 months) she's already into everything so I imagine December is going to be a testing time :eek: :laughing:

:laughing: I do the same! 1st of December everything up! last year I even sneaked in the day before because I convinced myself I would get it all ready for the 1st of December!! I will still have my tree up in the living room, but nothing glass towards the bottom and just be a bit more vigilant for a few weeks. cant wait!!
maybe try putting something safe and interesting around the bottom of the tree if your worried? hopefully they will get to that first, in time for you to reach them, before tree ends up in there mouths!

mama2three
26-10-2009, 04:14 PM
:laughing: I do the same! 1st of December everything up! last year I even sneaked in the day before because I convinced myself I would get it all ready for the 1st of December!! I will still have my tree up in the living room, but nothing glass towards the bottom and just be a bit more vigilant for a few weeks. cant wait!!
maybe try putting something safe and interesting around the bottom of the tree if your worried? hopefully they will get to that first, in time for you to reach them, before tree ends up in there mouths!

not barbed wire then? :laughing:

mrsgreen
26-10-2009, 05:34 PM
not barbed wire then? :laughing:

i am sure if you did a risk assessment and wrote a policy you could?:D

lovemyprams
27-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I have cut a huge Christmas Tree out of green card. I stick it to the wall with bluetack and selotape.

I then have all children cut out baubles/santa etc and decorate them with different colours/glitter etc and we laminate and stick them on the tree. My daughter then drew a fairy to stick on the top (she is much better at drawing than me!)

All 'my' parents loved it when they saw it so it was a big hit. The children loved it too.:clapping:

I am fortunate to have a playroom though so our real tree does go in our front room where minded children are not allowed:)

Would love to have a huge snowman this year and may get the children to stick white crepe paper on etc

I would add a photo of it if I could:blush: Perhaps Sarah could help me on that one!:)

Mouse
27-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I have cut a huge Christmas Tree out of green card. I stick it to the wall with bluetack and selotape.

I then have all children cut out baubles/santa etc and decorate them with different colours/glitter etc and we laminate and stick them on the tree. My daughter then drew a fairy to stick on the top (she is much better at drawing than me!)

All 'my' parents loved it when they saw it so it was a big hit. The children loved it too.:clapping:

I am fortunate to have a playroom though so our real tree does go in our front room where minded children are not allowed:)

Would love to have a huge snowman this year and may get the children to stick white crepe paper on etc

I would add a photo of it if I could:blush: Perhaps Sarah could help me on that one!:)

That's what I do! We have a big tree on the wall & the children add all sorts of decorations to it. They even make them at home & bring them in. It always looks great.

For our proper tree we have a big artificial one standing on a table. Like someone else said, our biggest problem is the cat, not the children! We tie the tree down, so it doesn't tip over when the cat climbs up it. We can't have the lights on much either as the cat tries to bite them!

I've never had a problem with mindees & the tree. They soon learn to leave it alone.

Shivvie
27-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Like someone else said, our biggest problem is the cat, not the children! We tie the tree down, so it doesn't tip over when the cat climbs up it. We can't have the lights on much either as the cat tries to bite them!

Talking of cats, when ours were kittens, one of them used to use underneath our Christmas tree as a toilet :eek: We used to have to jump up quick when we saw her going under it, before she did the deed!! I'm happy to say she grew out of it, thank goodness :)

balloon
27-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Last year I had crawlers and put the tree out in the hallway until I stopped working (ie late christmas eve), then it came into the living room and signified the beginning of our christmas.

This year nothing will be going up until Mindees leave on Christmas eve since one of my mindees does not take notice of the word no!

jaja
27-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Im expecting Ofsted to come soon for my first full inspection, and there is a good chance they may come when my tree is up, and now im worrying about what I need to do with it so I can safely pass? do I have to get my electric fairy lights PAT tested etc????

My tree goes up sometime after my sons birthday whick is the 7th Dec - I dont like him to think his bday if over shadowed by crimbo

Snap, my ds is 8 on the 7th december and we wait until his birthday and then put the tree up so it doesnt take over his birthday....

how old with your son be?

xxx

Minstrel
27-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Snap, my ds is 8 on the 7th december and we wait until his birthday and then put the tree up so it doesnt take over his birthday....

xxx

Oh we're the same!

Its OH bday on the 6th Dec and DS1 bday on the 8th Dec. xxx

Merry-Minder
12-11-2009, 07:01 PM

xxx

Just noticed this question when looking over my past posts.

My son is also 8 on his birthday - Spooky!!!! lol

xSarahx