PDA

View Full Version : santa??

Hebs
24-10-2009, 07:06 PM
am i allowed to put a santa up in my house??

my friend was shocked that i was going to put a santa up incase a parent wasn't happy....

they all celebrate christmas so i doubt they'll have an issue,

should i be asking???

FussyElmo
24-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Well I dont - santa goes up in this house along with alot of other christmas decorations :)

breezy
24-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Well I dont - santa goes up in this house along with alot of other christmas decorations :)

same here:)

Hebs

good :D :clapping: :laughing:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
santa and the xmas tree will def be going up in my house, not all my lo's traditionally celebrate xmas but their parents know we do and respect that

FizzysFriends
24-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Well we will be all christmassy here, Santa, tree and millions of lights!

Hebs
24-10-2009, 07:33 PM
not too worried about the tree etc, was just santa :laughing:

FussyElmo
24-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Well I have a beautiful nativity scene as well :)

nannymcflea
24-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Of course Father Christmas has to go up. He will be everywhere you go anyway!:clapping:

It's a small world
24-10-2009, 08:43 PM
forgive me for being dumb but don't we have to do activities for other festivals ie Diwali/ Ramadam / Hannukah (sp) / so why not Christmas???

He will def be up in my house...or someone can come and explain to my children why he isn't up....its still MY home....

Sorry just luurrrvvvvvvvvvveeeee christmas...

Blackhorse
24-10-2009, 08:47 PM
we dont have Santa Clause as such in austria ..we have Christkind instead...it is an angel (meant to be baby jesus) and it brings the gifts on christmas eve, so on the 24th of December.
So it is a bit different to here...but I will still have Santa Clause up and a christkind too. And I would not have an issue with my dd seeing a Santa Clause anywhere else either If I did I would have to have her locked up for a couple of months each year :rolleyes: )
...it is part of the UK's xmas culture and as such to be respected and tolerated (that sounds harsher than I want it to sound..I do actually like Santa Clause..)

there are different cultures having differnt traditions for xmas. Unless you have a parent that strictly doesnt want their LO to celebrate xmas I think you will be ok.
If you have kids from other cultures - and even if not- it might be an idea to have Santa Clause as well as whatever else they have and teach kids both sides of xmas...if that makes sense what I am saying

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christkind

Mollymop
24-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Why not put a Santa up? :clapping: They live here, he is everywhere in Dec, so why should change your celebrations?

Chatterbox Childcare
24-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Tough! of course you are

Hebs
24-10-2009, 09:03 PM
i want a christkind too :clapping: where can i buy one???

jelly15
24-10-2009, 09:12 PM
forgive me for being dumb but don't we have to do activities for other festivals ie Diwali/ Ramadam / Hannukah (sp) / so why not Christmas???

He will def be up in my house...or someone can come and explain to my children why he isn't up....its still MY home....

Sorry just luurrrvvvvvvvvvveeeee christmas...

I can see where Hebs friend is coming from because in this country we have become so scared of being accussed of religious discrimination and racism that we are almost afraid of celebrating Christianity.

Blackhorse
24-10-2009, 09:13 PM
not sure...probably on some of the german christmas markets...or online..

but here is one to colour in

http://www.kidsweb.de/weihnacht/weihnacht_2004/basteln/mandala_w/chritstkind_mandala.html

Mollymop
24-10-2009, 09:13 PM
i want a christkind too :clapping: where can i buy one???

I don't know....have I ever seen one?. Is what I am thinking:idea:

Twinkles
24-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Each room in my home will be crammed with everything to do with Christmas. I LOVE CHRISTMAS :clapping: :clapping:

Parents often comment it's like Santa's grotto :D

Roseolivia
24-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, sorry but this is my home first. If parents don't like it they don't have to look at it. Like someone else said we celebrate other religious festivals/cultures so why not be proud of our own festivals. I'd rather give up minding than give up my family traditions.

mama2three
25-10-2009, 08:16 AM
even those whose home religion isnt christianity have santa and presents at xmas in my experience. It is a traditional part of life and they disassociate 'christmas' from 'christ' iyswim.
In my home there will be nativity scenes and carols as well , i would think if there is a problem it is more likely to come from me teaching the christmas story than putting up a santa. But i would point out that we covered the story of rama and sita at diwali too!

David Sheppard
25-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Of course you should put up santa. Just don't get Santa and Christmas mixed up in your 'education' of the children. They are not one and the same thing.:panic:

Santa re decorated trees re presents and gifts were an invention of the Victorians - gifts were originally given on the day after Christmas (hence boxing day) when the boxes of presents were opened. All part of the extended Yuletide celebrations.:laughing: :clapping: :jump for joy:

The birth of Jesus is celebrated at Christmas - a christian celebration - hence the nativity, carols, church celebrations, peace and goodwill to all...:littleangel: :littleangel: :littleangel:

Daisy1956
19-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I will be having Christmas tree , lights, advent calendar nativity set and anything else i can get my hands on. I love Christmas.

Twinkles
19-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I will be having Christmas tree , lights, advent calendar nativity set and anything else i can get my hands on. I love Christmas.

:clapping: :clapping: Hear hear ! :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
19-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Of course you should put up santa. Just don't get Santa and Christmas mixed up in your 'education' of the children. They are not one and the same thing.:panic:

Santa re decorated trees re presents and gifts were an invention of the Victorians - gifts were originally given on the day after Christmas (hence boxing day) when the boxes of presents were opened. All part of the extended Yuletide celebrations.:laughing: :clapping: :jump for joy:

The birth of Jesus is celebrated at Christmas - a christian celebration - hence the nativity, carols, church celebrations, peace and goodwill to all...:littleangel: :littleangel: :littleangel:

I thought boxing day was named as this is when churches opened their collection boxes and shared the money out to the poor? Guess I need educating too as well as the kids.

Pudding Girl
19-11-2009, 10:14 PM
My Nan still calls out gifts our Christmas Box :)

charliegee
20-11-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm going full out for Christmas!! lovely tree and lots of santa

ahhhh the risk assessing!!! :laughing:

Love christmas I do! xxx

mama2three
20-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I thought boxing day was named as this is when churches opened their collection boxes and shared the money out to the poor? Guess I need educating too as well as the kids.

Im sure youre right. there are several ideas on where the name came from , but the church alms boxes is the one that has the most 'evidence' . others include a tradition for boxing matches on this day! and the boxes of presents.
where we grew up boxing day was ladies day. it was time for the men to do everything house , food and childcare related and the ladies to 'relax' ( or go out and get sloshed!!!) Its one of the busiest days for the pubs in scarborough.

Hebs
20-11-2009, 09:01 AM
i always thought it was when the rich boxed up their unwanted gifts to give to their servants/poor locals??

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PixiePetal
20-11-2009, 09:04 AM
This is what I thought.....

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/CUSTOMS/Xmas/boxingday.html