PDA

View Full Version : Shoes too small...how to broach the subject?

mumx3
24-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I have a 16 month old mindee who never seems to leave his house unless he is with me...poor thing, so I dont think he wears his shoes much.

However his shoes are way too small and leave marks on his feet....I notice he kept falling over and sometimes seems "rooted to the spot" like he doesnt want to move.:(

I need to speak to mum about this as it is clearly a problem. But I know parents are having money trouble....so I am not quite sure how to say it...and I have only been minding him for 3 weeks.

HELP!

Zoomie
24-10-2009, 05:21 PM
can you not stop in at a clarks and have them measured.

then you know for sure ...

you could suggest places for buying shoes that doesn't cost the earth.

balloon
24-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I had this same problem. I'm afraid I took the chickens way out and said at pick up time "I don't know what's wrong with me today I cannot get xx's shoes on properly (and had them in my hand), do you think their feet are swollen with the heat or something or is it just me?"

You cannot really use the heat thing in October but is there another way you can say the same thing? I was lucky in that the parent agreed the shoes were tight, thanks goodness they didn't all my bluff and say it was just me, lol!

Hebs
24-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I need to speak to mum about this as it is clearly a problem. But I know parents are having money trouble....so I am not quite sure how to say it...and I have only been minding him for 3 weeks.

HELP!

no matter how hard up they are they have a duty to provide suitable clothing, and you can get shoes for kids for less than £10 these day so really no need for him to suffer.

how to broach the subject i have no idea :laughing:

carol cameron
24-10-2009, 05:40 PM
:) Just say exactly what you have posted- that you think the shoes may be too small because............You can always padd it out with a comment about children growing so fast and maybe suggest a place they could buy some reasonably priced shoes if you know of anywhere. I know it's not easy but it needs to be done for the child's sake.
Good Luck.

The Juggler
24-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I've done the 'I'm having terrible trouble getting shoes on last few days'. Are his/her feet getting bigger!?

madasahatter
24-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I know they are not ideal for everyday wear but could you get some wellies in the correct size for the LO to wear when out and about with you. They are cheap and ideal for splashing in autumn puddles and kicking leaves etc.

LOOPYLISA
24-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Poor little mite

As hebs said you can get a cheap pair of shoes nowadays :rolleyes:

Good luck x

flora
24-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Just take the bull by the horns and say it.

My 7 yr old mindee is always growing out of hers and I just say" I 'm not sure if you've noticed but A's complaining her shoes are too small"

Normally they haven't noticed and they say they will sort asap.

If you know they are pressed fro money suggest brantano or somehwere similar.

Blackhorse
24-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Just tell them how it is..
you noticed the shoes are a bit small and LO is having troubles walking...
ask if he had a growth spurt as that would explain a sudden incease in feet size...(even if he didnt and the incease isnt sudden...)
It will give the parents a way out of feeling bad for not having noticed themselves.

I am afraid having not much money is no excuse for me. My dd always comes first even if money is tight and a pair of shoes doesnt need to cost the earth!

AnnieM
25-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree, just tell them, lo's at this age go through shoes so fast, many first time parents don't realise how soon they need replacing, just say that you think lo's shoes may be getting too small because he is not wanting to move when they are on but is fine if you take them off, I have told many parents over the years and usually they will say they have noticed too and are off to get some new ones at the weekend. :rolleyes: I always have wellies for lo's this time of the year too so maybe you could get a cheap pair of them in for him, that way he won't have to wear tight shoes when with you. :)

gemhei
25-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Id just come out and say it, im sure they wouldnt want him to wear shoes too small anymore than you would. If he doesnt go out much they probs dont even know about the shoes. Id just say i noticed today when putting XXX shoes on they were getting a bit tight, dont kids grow fast at this age? See what she says, if she says shell get some just mention they have a sale at XXX or they do some nice ones really reasonablily priced at XXX. She may feel a bit embarressed but im sure shell be pleased you told her if the shoes are too small.

mumx3
28-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Well I had THE conversation on monday

Today he turned up in a pair of crocs! Which were also too small! :(

angeldelight
28-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Well I had THE conversation on monday

Today he turned up in a pair of crocs! Which were also too small! :(

Oh so that did not get you anywhere did it

I have the opposite problem that all the shoes / clothes the little one wears are massive

Fancy doing a swap ?? :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

cuffleygirl
28-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Just be brutal!

XX shoes seem to be too small, they are leaving marks on his feet, if you are able to get shoes great, if not would you like me to take him to be fitted next week after half term. I will go to clarks, pay for them and give you the bill. Would you prefer me to get boots or shoes or trainers (or all 3).

This way if money is a consideration parent has the opportunity to do it themself.

I did this the other week, parent was really grateful - though not as grateful as the child!

Hebs
28-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I will go to clarks, pay for them and give you the bill.

i wouldn't be impressed if my minder asked me if i wanted her to buy shoes :blush:

as a minder i wouldn't be able to afford shoes from clarks for mindees, i just about manage it for my own kids :panic:

i do however take lo's to clarks and get them measured and buy a cheap pair off ebay as little one's shoes are hardly worn and i've got clarks shoes for £3 delivered before :thumbsup: i keep them at mine so i know while here they have suitable suits that also fit :D

cuffleygirl
28-10-2009, 02:57 PM
i wouldn't be impressed if my minder asked me if i wanted her to buy shoes

As a minder I don't want to buy shoes - but I want a mindee with feet that hurt less!

The parent I bought for shoes for money is not a consideration which makes it sadder that lo was in shoes that were far too small.

Maybe Clarks is a bad example but the sentiment is the same - give the parent the chance to buy shoes that don't hurt the childs fit and suit their budget. If they don't - offer to get shoes that fit.

IFYSIM

gemhei
29-10-2009, 02:31 PM
It is difficult, i had a mindee that turned up in NO shoes! Mum just put her in car in the morning and picked her up in car so didnt think she needed any :panic: . I just eventually asked her to get her some shoes because she couldnt play out with the other children or go for walks to the park etc. I also mentioned she couldnt play at toddler group cos she didnt have suitable footwear. Next day she brought her in slippers!!! :eek:

It is like hitting your head against a brick wall sometimes but you have to just keep going, you have a duty to keep children safe and healthy and shoes that are hurting mindees feet are not. Shell get message eventually lol.

mumx3
30-10-2009, 09:27 PM
i will try again on Monday and see what she says.

The ebay idea is a good one! Will keep you all posted. Just need this kid to have shoes he can walk in.