PDA

View Full Version : How to keep pick ups brief???

mumx3
24-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi All

I am having trouble with an almost 5 year old child at pick up time. Mum is collecting about 5 mins late every day which would be bareable apart from the annoying fact that the mindee turns into the devil child when Mum appears.

I have a stairgate at my hallway which keeps the doorway area clear of other mindees at pick up time but the child constantly tries to get back through the gate to run off into the garden or play room :angry: Mum thinks all this is funny, but I dont as by the time the child has her shoes on after a tantrum and actually leaves it is 6pm!

How can I keep pick up time brief and avoid spending an extra (UNPAID) half hour on my doorstep every night.????

breezy
24-10-2009, 05:05 PM
charge the extra 1/2 hour it takes, mum wouldnt find it quite so funny then!

Zoomie
24-10-2009, 05:06 PM
perhaps get child ready at appointed pick up time and then 5 mins later, when mum picks up late, mindee is ready to go and go straight away ?

not easy as I have same problem ... and no stairgate to separate children.

sarah707
24-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I am really quite firm about children leaving... it's the parents who I have problems with :rolleyes:

We talk about being calm and getting shoes on without fuss.

We repeat behaviour goals and I give out stickers or rewards next session for children who have issues and need support.

I talk to parents about the needs of all the children (including my own) and sign children out as they leave my house... that way I am still getting paid and I am responsible for behaviour until they are gone.

First I'd suggest you talk it over with parents and see if you can reach a compromise... half hour is unacceptable.

hth :D

Goatgirl
24-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Sympathies :( ,
This used to really annoy me, especially if it happened after a particularly lovely day; just put a cloud over it for me...
so as well as our 'achievement' charts for making a note of all the generally wonderful things the children do that we feel proud of, I've just recently introduced a sticker chart specifically for 'home time behaviour'.
This time starts the minute mum or dad is spotted coming to the door, or I hear a knock; I remind them they need to stay calm if they want to earn a sticker.. wonder out loud if they'll manage it again: how great etc. Then its shoes and coats on as I let the parent in and update them generally on child's marvelous day; I hand over their belongings ...and out the door!
The sticker gets stuck when they're out of the house and over the step: they can count to make sure tomorrow!!
I started with silver stars, then they wanted to know what happens if you get lots, so every time you get 5 silvers here you get a gold one to show how well you're doing. I'm careful to emphasise its not a race between the children, just a challenge for each person to see how great they can be :-)

Not sure what to do when we get lots of gold stars, lol. Maybe a packet of stickers to put into a personal sticker collection book!?

I like Sarah's signing them out as they leave.... you could maybe add 'I will charge for the time you are in my house' info to your fees and charges policy (if you have one) as well as a possible 'late collection' fee on top. I have this written in to mine, but haven't needed to use it as yet. I think the threat is enough lol...

ok,I'm waffling now..

hope you get it sorted; it'll be such a relief. Good Luck :thumbsup:
best wishes,
Wendy

tammerisk
25-10-2009, 07:35 AM
used to have the same problem with a 7 and 8 year old they were fine till mum walked through the door and then the ran riot in my house it resulted in the 8 year old running into my open stair gate(no bayies at the time)and he hit it with such force he broke his elbow.

risk assesment and accidents forms and inform ofsted and riddor later!!!!

i take charge and explained to the children in my comanding voice(the one i use that they all stop what they doing when they hear it!!!!!!)that this behaviour is not accetable and they will behaviour and put there shoes coats and whatever else onand leave my house quitely and in a calm manner like they behaved all day

it worked and mum thanked me for it

mama2three
25-10-2009, 08:06 AM
I have a pick up at the same time as my teens get off the school bus which is a nightmare - the little girl i mind turns into a banshee and flings herself at middle ds - her mum finds it hilarious as she apparently has uncles that playfight etc with her - Ds didnt mind at first but its starting to get a bit much now. I have had to tell the boys to hide behind the hedge if they see the car outside - how awful! After half term i am going to start getting them into their coats etc ready for mum arriving as they turn into toddlers as soon as mum arrives!

AnnieM
25-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I have this with the 5yo I look after at the moment, I have for the last 2 weeks been using a reward chart which is at the door, if he goes out without a fuss he gets to put a sticker on his chart as he goes through the door, when he has got 5 he gets to choose a small treat from the shop the next day and gets a reward certificate to take home and mum usually gets him something too, it is definitely working, as soon as he starts all I have to say to him is sticker and he immediately listens and does as he is asked. :thumbsup:

little chickee
25-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I really do want to conduct my pick ups and collections at the door - this after all is how they do it at the playgroup/nursery - but i worry that it looks like i cant wait to be rid of the kids.

I worry that parents will think its wierd that i dont ask them through to the living room for a chat. Some of my parents do collect / drop off at the door and i would like them all to. It seems to be the parents of the younger kids _ under 2 years- that seem to want a 20 min chat about the day.

sue
25-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I really do want to conduct my pick ups and collections at the door - this after all is how they do it at the playgroup/nursery - but i worry that it looks like i cant wait to be rid of the kids.

I worry that parents will think its wierd that i dont ask them through to the living room for a chat. Some of my parents do collect / drop off at the door and i would like them all to. It seems to be the parents of the younger kids _ under 2 years- that seem to want a 20 min chat about the day.

yep l have one under 2 years whos mum always starts playing with child when they arrive its not funny when l got others to deal with and see out the door round about same time!!!!!!!!

Zoomie
25-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I really do want to conduct my pick ups and collections at the door - this after all is how they do it at the playgroup/nursery.

At our playgroup / nursery it is not like this.

Its always 10-15 mins after contract time when my one mindee family finally goes. Mum refuses to put LOs shoes / coats on so we have this to deal with too ... and if children don't want to it takes a lot of convincing, but mum is unwavering (and I so love this about the mum, but its MY TIME) !