PDA

View Full Version : New Name for Childminders?

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
There is no confirmation of accuracy behind this but I have "heard" that the title "childminder" is to be done away with. (Have been discussing part of this on a different thread)

In your opinion (just out of interest) what do you think we should be called -
Home-Based Childcare Practitioners?
What title would reflect our professional status adequately and that others in the childcare profession and parents would see (and hopefully respond to) as professional (equals) etc?

deeb66
01-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I have heard so many times over the years that our title is going to be changed and nothing ever happens!

Home based childcarers or something on that lines sounds good

Mollymop
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
yes i agree with Dee Homebased childcares sounds good. But I think we will be stuck with the title "childminder" forever but I do think it should be changed as times have changed so much and childminders have to be much more professional now than years ago. x

LittleMissSparkles
01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
maybe it should change, most people think of a childminder as a glorified babysitter that does it in their own home, if we had a more proffessional title which reflected the qualifications etc we have to have we might get more respect from the care sector and other people x

Tily Bud
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Totally agree, just not sure what i'd call us though xx

Spangles
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I think we need a new name too.

We need a whole relaunch and some national publicity somehow about exactly what our role, qualifications and experience is! Aren't NCMA meant to be getting the message across on our behalf because I've not noticed much action going on!

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Ahh but then the NCMA would have to change its name!!!!! And this forum!

chubbymummy
01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
how about "jack of all trades?"

button68
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
That reminds me an Old Dear in my street came up to me on thursday and said "Oooooo, I heard you had become a Baby Sitter" :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Bet you were well chuffed :angry:

button68
01-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Bet you were well chuffed :angry:

Couldn't smile wide enough :D

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
My brother always says - "oh that babysitting thing you do"..... bless him:eek:

my reply is generally "oh that thing you do running around squirting water out of a hose" (he is a fireman and don't get me wrong I am dead proud of him)

button68
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Actually now I've given it some thought Baby Sitters get paid a better hourly rate than us :eek:

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Actually now I've given it some thought Baby Sitters get paid a better hourly rate than us :eek:

Hmmmm, thats a point, we are going wrong somewhere!lol

button68
01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
My brother always says - "oh that babysitting thing you do"..... bless him:eek:

my reply is generally "oh that thing you do running around squirting water out of a hose" (he is a fireman and don't get me wrong I am dead proud of him)

Yer!! Bless him http://easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-fighting-smileys-115.gif (http://easyfreesmileys.com/)

Annie_T
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM
oh no i liek the term childminder

Home-Based Childcare Practitioners - makes it sounds like a doctor term lol

i dont think they should change it if they going to

angeldelight
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
What about

Perfect - great - fantastic - willing - helpful - kind - understanding haha..............

There is no word good enough for us all

Angel xx

Hopscotch
01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I think we should be called saints lol the amount we have to put up with or volunteers as we get paid peanuts
Bev X
http://images.meez.com/user/4/4/8/8/6/2/3/4488623_bodyshot_300x400.gif (http://www.meez.com/mapesy)

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
You make valid points Bev:laughing: :laughing: specially about the volunteer bit!

angeldelight
01-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Love that pic

Think I might make myself a sign like that ha

xxx

peggy
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
There is no confirmation of accuracy behind this but I have "heard" that the title "childminder" is to be done away with. (Have been discussing part of this on a different thread)

In your opinion (just out of interest) what do you think we should be called -
Home-Based Childcare Practitioners?
What title would reflect our professional status adequately and that others in the childcare profession and parents would see (and hopefully respond to) as professional (equals) etc?

Homebased Child Practioner.........i can just see people saying "whats that then?" and us saying "I'm a childminder!"

Pudding Girl
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
wether they change it or not we'll always still be called Childminders by people anyhow.

sarah707
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Homebased Child Practioner.........i can just see people saying "whats that then?" and us saying "I'm a childminder!"

I was going to say that! :laughing:

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
So true:D

Lets call a spade a spade then - we are child - minders because we mind children!

peggy
01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
it makes me laugh though, not that i'm saying we dont do a valuable job, but it does sound as though we're trying to big ourselves up a bit! "Home based Childcare Practioner" ..... is just like a dustman (sorry dust "person") calling themselves a Environmental Hygienst!!!! (sorry cant spell this evening....not even gonna attempt to do so!)

I'm quite happy and proud to call myself a childminder actually!

carolinel
01-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I agree Peggy, I'd feel a right wally if I came out with " homebased childcare practioner" when someone asked me what my job was. much easier to say childminder.

flora
02-03-2008, 04:41 PM
it makes me laugh though, not that i'm saying we dont do a valuable job, but it does sound as though we're trying to big ourselves up a bit! "Home based Childcare Practioner" ..... is just like a dustman (sorry dust "person") calling themselves a Environmental Hygienst!!!! (sorry cant spell this evening....not even gonna attempt to do so!)

I'm quite happy and proud to call myself a childminder actually!

I'm with Peggy, I quite like childminder, it describes what I do. It's the public perception of what IS a childminder that need to change not the name. :thumbsup: Everyone will still call us childminders, so can't see it working to be honest

Heaven Scent
02-03-2008, 05:30 PM
If we are going to call a spade a spade then what ever it is it should beging with 'underpaid, undervalued, followed by some or all of the following:- easy target to take advantage of, cleaner, cook, supervisor, manager, nit nurse, nurse, educator, administrator, accountant, purchase clarke, nanny, agony aunt' can anyone think of any more? I'm sure I've left loads out.

Celine

Spangles
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I think if we retain the title 'childminder' then the NCMA need to pull their finger out and start raising the profile of exactly what it is we do so that way 'childminder' will be associated with a professional job rather than a spotty teenager sitting round someone's house watching tv and eating their crisps while the children sleep!

Schnakes
02-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I also think that its silly trying to give ourselves a jumped up title. Everyone does it these days. Mr S refers to me as a "childcare professional"...although its what I am I always tell him to stop being silly when he says it to other people!!!

Sx

susi513
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
I think the problem with public perception is partly to do with the fact that the term childminder has been used for many years, long before Ofsted and long before having to have first aid certificates etc. Once upon a time a person who minded the children in her own home had no obligation to do anything more than a person who sits and watches the babies in your home. The words childminder and babysitter don't really mean anything different although we all know there is a very big difference in our roles and responsibilities.

Its not helped by the fact the media tend to use the word childminder for anyone who is involved with working with children, whether they are registered or not is rarely mentioned. I'd like to see the NCMA do much more - eg reach an agreement with the main tv & newspapers to use the terms accurately.

Its also not helped by the fact that there don't seem to be any visible consequences for those who do not follow the requirements of being registered or don't bother to register at all. Parents and carers have been shocked when I have explained they should be registered - only today one carer said "but its not a formal arrangement like you do, I don't need to register, its just for a friend".

I've been told: one lady apparently got a letter inviting her to register and that was it!!! One lady who was caught over numbers and what happened? Nothing as far as anyone can tell - she's still looking after other peoples children.

If the name is to change I'd like it to be something my mindees can say. I'd like to get rid of the "minding" element but I can't think of anything better. Registered Childcarer isn't much of a change and probably people wouldn't notice a difference.

buildingblocks
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm with Peggy, I quite like childminder, it describes what I do. It's the public perception of what IS a childminder that need to change not the name. :thumbsup: Everyone will still call us childminders, so can't see it working to be honest

I think home based child care practitioner is a b:censored: y mouthful.

I am proud to be a registered childminder (registered being the appropriate word) and I just wish we could make people see us differently and I honestly don't think a name change will make a difference to that. I think the NCMA has to do a better job on our behalf.

buildingblocks
03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
If we are going to call a spade a spade then what ever it is it should beging with 'underpaid, undervalued, followed by some or all of the following:- easy target to take advantage of, cleaner, cook, supervisor, manager, nit nurse, nurse, educator, administrator, accountant, purchase clarke, nanny, agony aunt' can anyone think of any more? I'm sure I've left loads out.

Celine

MUG as that is what most parents think we are

helenlouise
04-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi
Here in New Zealand we are called home based educators which i thought sounded ridiculous when i first got here.

When my programme manager was here last week she went mad at me coz i had childminding written on my scrapbook she said we do a whole lot more than just mind.

She does have a point though.