PDA

View Full Version : got a screamer!

sweets
23-10-2009, 05:19 PM
my new mindee that only started on wednesday has screamed virtually all day! no tears or sobbing just screaming. he is 8 mnths old. is fine when attached to my hip but if i put him down then he is deafening! tried sitting next to him and playing but still not happy.
hasnt eaten or drunk hardly anything. just hoping that it wont last:(

Spoke to dad at pick up time and he admitted that it was their fault as they pick him up at the slightest noise but he was very good and said they would work with me and try over the weekend to leave him a bit more.

he has been for settling in sessions so does know me its just the fact that he cant be carried round that annoys him.

I am cream crackered:panic:

Curly Quavers
23-10-2009, 05:39 PM
my new mindee that only started on wednesday has screamed virtually all day! no tears or sobbing just screaming. he is 8 mnths old. is fine when attached to my hip but if i put him down then he is deafening! tried sitting next to him and playing but still not happy.
hasnt eaten or drunk hardly anything. just hoping that it wont last:(

Spoke to dad at pick up time and he admitted that it was their fault as they pick him up at the slightest noise but he was very good and said they would work with me and try over the weekend to leave him a bit more.

he has been for settling in sessions so does know me its just the fact that he cant be carried round that annoys him.

I am cream crackered:panic:

Sounds like hard work.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

julie w
23-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I know how you feel. 5 minutes with a screamer feels like a lifetime. I've been so close to tears myself sometimes at times like this. All I can say is, it nearly always does get better, and the first time you get a huge smile as soon as you see them in the morning, you know you've got there and it's all worthwhile. Speaking from experience. Keep going, you'll get there.

little chickee
23-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree that this is hard work - i had one today actually - settling in same as you also 8 months so i understand about your day. I also had a 15 month old who got upset too when the little one cried he is usually very settled.

I just picked her up when she was very upset until she settled then popped her back down again. i will try to lenghten the amount of time i leave her before picking her up and hopefully she will soon settle - i've only had her for a few half days so far so i'm hoping when shes here full time she will settle easier.

Fingers crossed;)

sarah707
24-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Poor you! I totally sympathise, it's such a sad noise and deafening.

Hope it goes quickly and you can start having fun xx

littletreasures
24-10-2009, 07:48 AM
The noise goes straight through you.

I had this with a 7 month old last year. I looked after him 2 days a week and it went on for about 6 weeks.

He can still scream for England. Luckily, I have a song which stops him instantly. I pick him up and sing the song and all is peaceful again

AnnieM
24-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I feel your pain!!

I had a screamer several years ago, (thankfully they have been rare) he was 6 months old and I also had a 13 month old and a 15 month old at the time, when he started the other 2 got upset too and they started, it was like a madhouse, thankfully it only lasted a few weeks with the other 2 as they soon got used to him, he carried on until he was 9 months, but was the same at home, it didn't stop when you picked him up, so mum said just to let him get on with it. :( It was wonderful the first day I had him and realised he hadn't screamed all day!!! :laughing: I still have him now and he is almost 8, he is the loveliest boy you could wish for. :thumbsup:

mumx3
24-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I feel your pain, I am two months in with a screamer and it is not pretty. She seemed to be settling and but in real terms she hasnt improved beyond the initial progress we made within a few days.

Baby just does nt want to be put down. Parents do attatchment parenting! So poor babe must be confused. It is not fun 3 days a week as I can do nothing but hold baby or listen to the screaming! Luckily child is leaving soon and I must say it is a relief for me and all the other children!

little daisies
24-10-2009, 06:02 PM
have you got a shed down the bottom of the garden:)

Louise_Oaktree
24-10-2009, 07:53 PM
My screamer has been coming for over 2 months now and still cries when Mum goes but this week 2 out of 5 days he didn't cry at all :clapping:

He has been the worst I have ever had but things are so much better now. In the first 3 weeks we went out every day as he was much better away from my house. It was as if just being in my house reminded him of the thought of his Mum leaving him.

I have a new 9 month old starting in 1 weeks time and she is no where near as bad but is used to being carried everywhere and never lets Mum out of her sight. First 3 settling in sessions were great but last week seemed worse, luckily she LOVES to EAT so I have a distraction technique I can use! Got to work on the sleeping though as apparently she NEVER sleeps :eek:

I am much more relaxed about things now as I know I CAN get through it. You have to just try and make things as easy as possible (we go for a lot of walks during first few weeks).

Good luck :)

sweets
24-10-2009, 08:20 PM
thanks everone. when i think about it now on a calm sat night i am all for putting him down and letting him cry a bit before picking him up again but when he is screaming i know in reality i can't stand it and will get stressed!:panic:

I feel guilty now calling him a screamer as it was only his first week! bless.

Heres hoping he is better next week, but i only have him thurs and fri and from the fri to the following thurs is a long time in his life, i know it would be better if the days were split but thats just the way its worked out so i will just have to work with it.

fingers crossed:)

pinklady
25-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I really feel for you especially as I'm going through it! My full time mindee wanted to be picked up all the time to start with and would cry if I left her but I'm proud to say she's fantastic now and will happily go off and find what she wants to play with. (she's 1yr btw)

Now I have another mindee the same age but only 2 days a week and she screams for both her days with me :panic: She starts to make progress by the last hour or so then back to square one the following week.

It's really hard but you do have to stay strong and do a kind of controlled crying thing as you would for sleep problems.

I hope things improve really soon for you.

Spangles
26-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I've got one too and it's my 6 week old daughter! aaaaaagh!

sweets
29-10-2009, 01:16 PM
UPDATE UPDATE

he got dropped off this morn and cried when dad went (but he did linger a bit:rolleyes: )
BUT has been much better since. we went out for a walk and winged a bit in the pram but nothing major,had dummy a bit more than i would have liked but never mind.
ate a bit of lunch which was better than last week as ate nothing then!

has still been very loud at times but i feel better coping with it this week, as he doesnt get upset there are no tears just loud crying.

bundled up in buggy with lots of layers and fast asleep on the patio at the moment.

touch wood we have turned the corner:clapping:

sweets
29-10-2009, 05:45 PM
SECOND UPDATE!

we had a really good afternoon too:clapping: :clapping:

angeldelight
29-10-2009, 05:51 PM
SECOND UPDATE!

we had a really good afternoon too:clapping: :clapping:

That is great

Hope it continues

My screamer still screams and hes been coming for almost over 2 years now