PDA

View Full Version : When should I be concerned about baby?

Minstrel
23-10-2009, 03:25 PM
At what age would you be concerned if a mindee was still not sitting up?

Many thanks
xxx

flora
23-10-2009, 03:30 PM
HV told me many moons ago, not to worry till 8/9 months :thumbsup:

How old is your mindee ????

Minstrel
23-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Will be 9 months in a few days time. :(

PixiePetal
23-10-2009, 03:42 PM
DS was about 7-8 months. He was a big baby, strong but not good at balancing - he seemed top heavy :laughing:

He didn't crawl or move from sitting position till 10 months but was walking at 13 1/2 so caught up well.

How old and how long have you had him to watch progress?

sorry that sounds like he sat still for months on end without me moving him at all :laughing:

Minstrel
23-10-2009, 03:46 PM
DS was about 7-8 months. He was a big baby, strong but not good at balancing - he seemed top heavy :laughing:

He didn't crawl or move from sitting position till 10 months but was walking at 13 1/2 so caught up well.

How old and how long have you had him to watch progress?

My son was also big baby, and was the same as yours, took a long time for him to learn to crawl but once he could do it and build up his strength, he came on leaps and bounds and walking at 14 months.

However mindee isn't too big or anything like that. I've only had her one session but i just feel something isnt right.

PixiePetal
23-10-2009, 03:51 PM
I would watch for a couple of weeks and give opportunities to sit wedged up with cushions/beanbag while playing. Unless he shows distress.

Then maybe ask parent for more info.

madasahatter
23-10-2009, 04:06 PM
If baby is new to you it may be that they have not had the opportunity yet to strengthen their back and abdomenal muscles to support sitting. They may have spent all day on their backs at home only being picked up when necessary and being fed in one of those reclining chair/bouncer things.
As Pixipetal said I would observe them for a few weeks, giving them plenty of opportunity to sit with support. Do you have or can you borrow a bumbo? I use mine for short periods of time with children of between 5 and 9 months depending on how sturdy they are.

Minstrel
23-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for great suggestions.

I will keep an eye on her and look into buying a bumbo (dont think i know anyone with one?).

Straws
23-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Little one I looked after was 10 months old, he was just lazy, he was 14mths before he took his first steps, I wouldnt worry too much they all develop at different rates.

Straws xx

Princess Sara
23-10-2009, 05:53 PM
My lo was walking before his little friend of the same age sat up (10-11 months) so don't worry just yet!

AnnieM
23-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I have had them sit at all ages tbh, the last lo was about 13 months before he sat unaided, but he was prem and had to have quite a bit of physio for his neck and back to help. He walked at 16 months. :)

Trouble
23-10-2009, 08:16 PM
i had one this age in fact it was nearly 10 months i just keep encouraging him by sitting behind him all the time :eek:

Minstrel
23-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanls everyone!

Its good to hear others experiences so i will keep on supporting her and i'm sure she'll be doing it in no time.

Will keep you posted!:thumbsup:

Trouble
23-10-2009, 08:32 PM
i found with mine he just seemed to get the hang of it

if the baby is seriously floppy i would probably be really concerned to

The Juggler
23-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I think lots of babies who spend lots of time in a buggy just don't get the opportunity to practice sitting up. Once they have the opportunity to practice they will come along, in line with their approximate age range expected for this.

LOL

Shirlwith3
24-10-2009, 02:56 AM
I care for a 10month old who dose not sit up on his own or behave like at 10month, many people mistake him for a around 6months as he is small too. Mum has had tests done while he was up in scotland ( where she is from) but have all came back normal, now I think he might developemtailly delayed as when you feed him proper food he uses his tounge to puch the food out, infact it is like he is sucking on a bottle. I have said to mum not to let this end with the test results I would get a 2nd opion (sp?) & get under the care of the hv. I have aslo contacted the childminding inculsion advicer who came out on Monday to have a look at him to see him, even she thinks things are not quite tright with him so is going to do at CAF on him so that something can be down for him as she is such a lovely baby.
My own dd2 had general Hypotonia (floppy) she never sat up properly till just was about 9months which was when my hv noticed her feet position & got her referred to hosital which is where I was told she would be late to walk she was nearly 1yrs ld when she crawled & 19 months when she walk. she is now a very tall nearly 5yr old

Minstrel
27-10-2009, 03:19 PM
many people mistake him for a around 6months as he is small too.

as when you feed him proper food he uses his tounge to puch the food out, infact it is like he is sucking on a bottle.

Thank you Shirl- these two sentences in particular have rung very loud bells with me as this is exactly like my mindee too.

Louise_Oaktree
28-10-2009, 03:30 PM
My own son was 12 months before he could sit up without toppling over. He was 22 months before walking confidently - he was a big baby though and lazy :laughing:

My mindees are 9 months sitting up now unaided and 13 months walking confidently :eek:

Not had one child the same - all different

Blue Boy
28-10-2009, 04:00 PM
As lots of others have said little ones normally sit up by 9 months, but that is not cast in stone. They will do it when they are ready. Our youngest went from cfawling to walking at the age of 10 months. If you have any concerns I would speak to the health visitor or doctor.

Mick

David Sheppard
28-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi,

Does the baby have 'tummy time'? There is a lot of available evidence that those babies who do not have regular opportunities to engage in this important posture exercise will be later in sitting, crawling and walking.

Regards

David

Trouble
28-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Thank you Shirl- these two sentences in particular have rung very loud bells with me as this is exactly like my mindee too.

mine to he is always in his pram everytime i see him out with parents laid down????:panic:

Pudding Girl
28-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Still sounds within normal ranges to me. I've had them sitting unaided from 6months to around 12 months. Each child is different according to how they are played with/encouraged etc.

If you look at info on baby led weaning for instance you will see that sitting unaided and the loss of tongue thrust go hand in hand :)

I'd just make a note for now and take a look at other areas of development and wether the baby is meeting these "goals".

gegele
28-10-2009, 09:43 PM
my mindee came to visit at 8months old and couldn't sit, by 9months and a bit she was confident BUT i noticed that if she FEELS the cushion behind her she just let go and stay laying propped up in cushion.

most babies spend lots far too much time in bouncers and rocker and are made lazy!!!! LOL

keep an eye and look at others area of development.
:thumbsup:

Minstrel
29-10-2009, 09:12 AM
If you look at info on baby led weaning for instance you will see that sitting unaided and the loss of tongue thrust go hand in hand :)

Thats really interesting to know thanks.

Well i've had her another session now and did some obs. I noticed that she will just automatically lay back as i go to put her on the floor. I have sat lots with her in front of me supporting her to strengthen her back (minute or two no more) and just given her plenty of freedom on the floor to go about as she pleases- pretty good at rolling around now so making progress, dont think it will be too much longer.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone!

The Juggler
29-10-2009, 09:43 AM
".

that's fascinating. going to read up on that.