PDA

View Full Version : Play Farm

singingcactus
23-10-2009, 01:58 PM
We just got back from risk assessing our new play farm. I have to say I am disappointed but very glad I chose to risk assess ahead of taking mindees with me.
There are next to no animals there which isn't really a risk assessment just disappoining, the kids can't reach the animals to feed them cos of the type of fence used so the only way to access them would be to poke little fingers through the fence :eek: that was a waste of the food we bought.
There is still building work going on. The cafe tables are glass, I know that isn't the biggest deal but still....
There is not proper fencing up yet around the stream.
There is no bathroom in the soft play barn! There is no first aid facility in the play barn. There is only one point of access in the play barn and that is right next to the free standing heater fire style heater they had plugged in. The concrete floor is painted with glossy slippy paint, just right for stockinged feet NOT. Some of the soft cushioning is not fixed in place, and a lot of it is not even soft.
There is inadequate fencing between the exit and the car park in my opinion for a preschool facility.
And just as an additional gripe, there is no covered buggy park so all buggies that have been pushed through sheep and cow poop will also be pushed across the little carpeted area in the play barn.

That is a risk assessment I do not need to write up cos it is too extensive to consider taking mindees there. :(

youarewhatyoueat
23-10-2009, 02:01 PM
You should speak to them, they may be interested in your comments.

flora
23-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
23-10-2009, 02:28 PM
What a shame. :(

Our local one is so well thought out and improving facilities all the time. :thumbsup:

singingcactus
23-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I thought of that, but there was no feedback facility at all. There was no staff wandering around either :( It has only just opened up so I will check back in the new year and see how it is. The toilet and buggy park bit are big things for me though and I couldn't see that they were planning on doing those things.

uf353432
23-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I would write them a letter :)

youarewhatyoueat
23-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Definately write to the manager you might get some free entry tickets

anneriddington
23-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Was planning on going there this week, think i may well go somewhere else it doesnt sound good :(
Think will go to Sundown or Rand instead

Thanks for posting now i know why theu dont have a website if its so pants

singingcactus
23-10-2009, 09:07 PM
My post might have been a bit unfair - I was really disappointed but mostly cos I feel it isn't yet up to a standard for taking mindees. It hasn't even been finished yet but the entrance fee is £5.50 per person regardless. There is nothing there really for my eldest two (13 years old), they are too tall for the play frame, and there really are very very few animals. There are rabbits, ferrets, 2 lama, a couple of chipmunks, two sheep, to pens of pigs and a bunch of chickens and other birds. The concept is great and they have tried really hard, but the lack of toilets and changing spaces, the fact that buggies WILL be rolled over the floor where toddlers and babies play and so the littlies will possibly come in contact with animal poop and maybe e-coli means it is a no-go for mindees.

Lou
23-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I agree i would write with your thoughts to the manager/owner. They need feedback if they are to improve!

anneriddington
29-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Well have been to Play Farm this morning, I see what you mean, what is there now is good, cafe is nice, playbarn good, if lacking toilets etc. I was concerned that there was no adult supervision in the play barn and there was an electric fan heater on the floor as the only form of heating it was completely unguarded and not the sort of thing that should be used to heat the area. The lack of animals was a shame. Trim trail was good and I think I will try it again in the spring. £35 per person annual pass isnt too bad as under 2s are free so may consider that next year but am definately going to drop them a line about the concerns we have.

katickles
29-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Sounds a shame. Maybe if you both write letters they will see the points that they are missing & then rectify the problems :)