PDA

View Full Version : is it our responsibility

hayleychildcare
23-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I have a 2 year old 5 days a week 8am - 1pm.

Mum asked me today why i never told her about getting him enrolled in the local Sure Start Playgroup.
She then said "Is it because you would of been losing money"? to which i said "No i charge while he is there aswell"? Ha Ha (She just looked at me like id fell off her shoe)

So is it our responsibility to inform parents about playgroups and dates to get kids signed up for Nursery etc .....

Blackhorse
23-10-2009, 01:08 PM
of course it is your responsibility!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NOT!!

Unless you are being paid as Mum's PA it is really not your job!

LisaMcNally09
23-10-2009, 01:08 PM
So she thinks that when you go to a playgroup she wouldnt have to pay?? I have read that right????:D

hayleychildcare
23-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes you read it correct. She thinks she shouldnt pay. :eek:

Blackhorse
23-10-2009, 01:13 PM
now I am confused..

are you talking about a playgroup where you as cm stay to watch the LOs or funded nursery places?

hayleychildcare
23-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh no sorry a funded place at the local Sure Start centre 9am - 11am (i think the sessions are)

Mouse
23-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't see it as my responsibility, but I do let parents know when it's time to put the children's names down for nursery. Infact I usually get the forms for them to fill in & drop them back into nursery!

If it's a first time parent, they don't always know how & when to do things and I'm more than happy to help out. I don't have to do it, but I see it as part of the sevice I offer.

Having said that, your mindee's mum shouldn't have spoken to you like that. At the end of the day, it's her responsibility to sort these things out.

Blackhorse
23-10-2009, 01:16 PM
ok...

I think they think that a lot!! I always make sure I mention all these things...A LOT!!

but that she even expects you to find out for her and tell her is what gets me!

carebear25
23-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Oh no sorry a funded place at the local Sure Start centre 9am - 11am (i think the sessions are)

Ours dont kick in til the child is 3, my son is 3 in nov 2010 but I dont get vouchers until January 2011,

Mollymop
23-10-2009, 01:34 PM
WHAT!!??? It is up to her to enroll him and to find out when she needs to do it - why should you have to even think about it?
she his MUM!!!:rolleyes:

TheBTeam
23-10-2009, 01:41 PM
There is enough information about, especially with the creation of childrens centre, some parents will never take responsibility for dealing with their own child!

We have had moaning over pe kit, gloves etc left at other peoples houses when the child hasn't even been with us!, like it is our fault for not teaching him not to leave things behind when he is with her!

In our area the nursery packs are mailed to parents of children in qualifying age brackets and you don't put your name down at a nursery until the full application pack is sent out and it is a formal process about like admissions to school.

As for playgroup, even the most unlikely parent can not have missed that these are about and when they are available, there is information all over the place in our areas, i had no experience of this when i worked and had my first child, it was not hard to learn that these things were there without having to try, ultimately it is their job and up to them to find out about it. If they ask me for help I would help, but i believe the more i instigate for them, the less they then do, experience has taught me that!:laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
23-10-2009, 01:55 PM
You have the child 8-1, so she picks up in the afternoon and what does she do for the rest of the day then, sounds like she could have gone to see them herself. They often have groups on in the afternoon I would suggest she goes and finds out.
Flipping heck don't forget to make sure she fills in the paperwork for starting school!!!!!!

Erika
23-10-2009, 04:16 PM
You can't win, really. Informing some parents would make them grateful whilst informing others would be seen as an interference.

Ultimately it is the parents responsibility, not yours. Some parents really don't understand the term "childminder". Some think it includes diagnostic nurse, chauffer, secretary, personal shopper....

The Juggler
23-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't see it as my responsibility, but I do let parents know when it's time to put the children's names down for nursery. Infact I usually get the forms for them to fill in & drop them back into nursery!

If it's a first time parent, they don't always know how & when to do things and I'm more than happy to help out. I don't have to do it, but I see it as part of the sevice I offer.

Having said that, your mindee's mum shouldn't have spoken to you like that. At the end of the day, it's her responsibility to sort these things out.

I do the same. It's not our job but Ofsted, I think, would see it as good practice to offer parents as much advice as possible. However, a parent bringing you to task over it, in the way your mum has, is out of order.

At the end of the day it's a parents job to select and fill in forms for the nursery of their choice!

LOL

Minstrel
23-10-2009, 09:46 PM
If a parent asks me a Q then i will gladly do all i can to help and research info if i dont know.

However parents have to take some of the responsibility and also actively seek out help from us or others if they are unsure.

I'm not a mind reader and with so many options (i personally didnt send either of my sons anywhere till past third bday) i cannot guess what info they may or may not need.

The Juggler
24-10-2009, 09:55 AM
just re-read all the posts and see that she thought you were keeping quiet so you didn't lose 2 1/2 hours pay whilst she used her funded hours at the surestart! Well, I hope you put her straight.

LOL

Chatterbox Childcare
24-10-2009, 10:24 AM

I do the same as Mouse and talk to the parents about which nursery the child is going to and I do get and return forms so that I know that the children are all in. When you have more than 1 child starting it is hard to rush from A to B if they are in separate places, so I try to get them in one place only.

As much as it helps the parent, it is for my benefit too.