PDA

View Full Version : Are assistants allowed to be left alone with children?

louised
23-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Can someone please clarify this for me. I looked into my partner becoming my assistant for the sole purpose of looking after the minded children while i went on school pick up in bad weather. I dismissed the idea though as I thought I read somewhere that children can't be left with an assistant for insurance purposes. I know a newly registered childminder who leaves children with her husband every day while she does the school run and wondered how she got round the insurance issue.

jaja
23-10-2009, 10:32 AM
yes he could, i was told by my inspector that he could either stay at home with the lo or go and collect from school, so i registered hubby....

hope this helps xx

Chatterbox Childcare
23-10-2009, 10:48 AM
He can only be left with children on the EY register and only if he has a paediatric first aid certificate and you have written parent permission and employers liability insurance (this covers you)

On the Voluntary and Compulsory Register he can not enter the house unless you are there with these children if he did the school run and you cannot leave him at home alone with children on this register.

patevans
23-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I just rang Ofsted about this because I have 2 assistants, she said they can only be left in sole charge of 5-8 year olds with pediatric first aid and written parental permission.

jaja
23-10-2009, 11:25 AM
that isnt what i was told..... another minder in my area also uses an assistant and under 5,.... and slightly confused with what ofsted are trying to say... i only spoke to my inspector about two weeks ago and i mentioned different reasons and one being leaving hubby at home with lo aged 6 months while i go on school run and she said yes he could,

do they know what they are talking about?

patevans
23-10-2009, 11:34 AM
that isnt what i was told..... another minder in my area also uses an assistant and under 5,.... and slightly confused with what ofsted are trying to say... i only spoke to my inspector about two weeks ago and i mentioned different reasons and one being leaving hubby at home with lo aged 6 months while i go on school run and she said yes he could,

do they know what they are talking about?

I rang and asked because I had heard so many different stories, but thats the answer she gave me when I called them this morning :huh:

louised
23-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I just rang Ofsted about this because I have 2 assistants, she said they can only be left in sole charge of 5-8 year olds with pediatric first aid and written parental permission.

I thought that they couldn't be left that's why I didn't bother registering my other half as there was no point if they can't be left alone, so who is right?

kindredspirits
23-10-2009, 11:37 AM
when i asked for my dh to be my assistant i specifically had to say i didn't want to leave him alone with children - but i do believe you need to have someone on the premesis with a pead. first aid at all times.

mumx3
23-10-2009, 01:05 PM
if you phone ofsted with a query like this 3 times you will get 3 different answers. Email them and get it actually in writing, I recently did this and got a completely different answer (the one I was expecting) when they put it in writing in an email compared to the silly answers I got on the phone from clueless people who kept putting me on hold to go and ask others.

carol cameron
23-10-2009, 01:14 PM
My daughter is my registered assistant and she can be left alone with the children for short periods of time with parents written permission. This is clearly stated on my registration certificate so you would have to apply for an assistant to be added. I can also have more children when she is working with me which can be useful if anyone needs extra hours.

jaja
23-10-2009, 01:32 PM
My daughter is my registered assistant and she can be left alone with the children for short periods of time with parents written permission. This is clearly stated on my registration certificate so you would have to apply for an assistant to be added. .

I have this written on mine too, i asked for hubby to be added as an assitant and when i checked with ofsted that i could leave him alone they said its classed as a vairation and why you would want too, giving examples schools runs and doctor appointments (they gave me the examples) ect.... the lady said to send in another variation which was passed straight away it now states that he can be left in sole charge of the mindees with parental permission for short peopids, when questioned to how long they said a couple of hours but i would still be held repsonsible for the child whilst away...

when you ring ofsted you need to give examples of what you want to do with the assistant to get the right answer.....

hope this helps xx

patevans
23-10-2009, 02:18 PM
My daughter is my registered assistant and she can be left alone with the children for short periods of time with parents written permission. This is clearly stated on my registration certificate so you would have to apply for an assistant to be added. I can also have more children when she is working with me which can be useful if anyone needs extra hours.

My certificate sasy this also but when I called this morning she said only 5-8yr olds....I really dont have a clue :huh:

Chatterbox Childcare
23-10-2009, 07:04 PM
My certificate sasy this also but when I called this morning she said only 5-8yr olds....I really dont have a clue :huh:

Check online for the guidance and you will find that this information is wrong. it was updated and changed in April 2009.

patevans
24-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Check online for the guidance and you will find that this information is wrong. it was updated and changed in April 2009.

So the information Ofsted gave me was wrong?????

Why cant they just give a straight truthful answer????

patevans
24-10-2009, 10:49 AM
just looked on the website and it says -

Summary
We are updating this factsheet during September 2009 and the new version will be on the site shortly. If you have a copy of the original factsheet, then please do not refer to it as it is out of date.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-10-2009, 11:03 AM
just looked on the website and it says -

Summary
We are updating this factsheet during September 2009 and the new version will be on the site shortly. If you have a copy of the original factsheet, then please do not refer to it as it is out of date.

Typical! I am sure that there is paperwork with an update but I cannot find it.

Michelle M
25-10-2009, 03:22 PM

It says in my certificate my assistant can be left with the children its got to be for no more than 2 hours at a time, and I had to tell Ofsted which age children were being left and for how long, mine are Early Years children as I was told an assistant cannot do the School Run unless they are over 8's, I thought an Assistant was to help with Early Years children only, this was what Ofsted and my Network Co-ordinator told me. :) If its on your certificate and you are meeting all the EYFS requirements you should be fine. My Insurance covers me as I have Employers Liability and I checked with NCMA and Ofsted, they said it was fine, NCMA said I am covered even tho hubby doesnt have a First Aid Certificate I said WHAT even if I decided to leave him with the Children without it they said yes :eek: well obviously I wouldnt do that.

patevans
27-10-2009, 03:11 PM

well well.............

I just called Ofsted again about this and got a completely different answer :eek: I have emailed them requesting in writing what I just got told by the lady on the phone.

Why cant they get there facts right???

Chatterbox Childcare
27-10-2009, 03:38 PM
It says in my certificate my assistant can be left with the children its got to be for no more than 2 hours at a time, and I had to tell Ofsted which age children were being left and for how long, mine are Early Years children as I was told an assistant cannot do the School Run unless they are over 8's, I thought an Assistant was to help with Early Years children only, this was what Ofsted and my Network Co-ordinator told me. :) If its on your certificate and you are meeting all the EYFS requirements you should be fine. My Insurance covers me as I have Employers Liability and I checked with NCMA and Ofsted, they said it was fine, NCMA said I am covered even tho hubby doesnt have a First Aid Certificate I said WHAT even if I decided to leave him with the Children without it they said yes :eek: well obviously I wouldnt do that.

NCMA state that their insurance is only valid if we meet the conditions of Ofsted and Ofsted state that assistants if left alone need the paediatric first aid certificate. It could be a loop hole for insurance companies if a claim was made