PDA

View Full Version : stupid question!

mushpea
23-10-2009, 07:13 AM
when you carve your pumpkins for halloween do you just take out the seeds or scrape out the 'flesh' to use for cooking aswell? i normaly only scrape out the seeds but as this year we are doing 5 pumkins then i thought it was a bit of a waste just taking out the seeds

Chatterbox Childcare
23-10-2009, 07:15 AM
I always remove the seeds and stringy bits and keep the rest. We throw ours afterwards because of the dirt/germs/dust that falls on it.

Asda have large ones for £1 at the moment - bargain

TheBTeam
24-10-2009, 05:05 PM
I always have good intentions to make a pumpkin pie, but never get round to it!

Zoomie
24-10-2009, 05:11 PM
The problem with trying to get some of the flesh off the pumpkin is you risk the pumpkin being too thin and with even less flesh around and detoriates quicky.

I always put vaseline on the inside flesh of my pumpkins so that they 'keep' for longer.

Wouldn't fancy eating them after that :huh:

Princess Sara
24-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I carve out the stringy bit and seeds for the bin... and some of the fleshy bit for a spicy pumpkin soup. Mmm.

tammerisk
25-10-2009, 07:39 AM
we make pumkin soup it is good for the kids to try something different and if you put other stuff it it it don't tasted to bad!!!!

madasahatter
25-10-2009, 08:51 AM
We always get a huge pumpkin. We scoop out the seeds and stringy bits with our hands....really slimy so a good sensory experience. Then the kids try to scoop out the flesh using spoons but it is mainly me that does it, as the flesh can be quite firm. The larger the pumpkin the thicker the flesh, It would be very awkward carving eye holes etc without removing some of the flesh first. I scoop out the flesh until the wall is about 1.5cm thick.
I use the flesh to make pumpkin soup and a sweet pumpkin pie.

If you have a good pumpkin soup recipe can you post it as the one I have is a bit disappointing. I will post the pumpkin pie recipe it anyone wants it.

Twinkles
25-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I just chop the pumpkin up and make soup from it. They're far to yummy to waste by carving !

I make soup but don't have a recipe as such just

Onions
Knorr chicken stock pots
lots of pumpkin

cook and whizz together - yum.

I would like the pumpkin pie recipe please :thumbsup:

mandy moo
25-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Pumpkin pie receipe please:D

madasahatter
25-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Pumpkin Pie

Shortcrust pastry - either bought or made with 225g Plain flour

Filling
450g cooked,mashed pumpkin (I put it in a pan with a little water, just like making apple sauce)
100g sugar (brown if you've got it)
1 small can evaporated milk
juice of 1 lemon (couple tablespoons jif lemon)
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs beaten

Roll out the pastry and line a 24cm (9.5 inch) flan tin. Mix all the filling ingredients together and pour into the flan case. Roll out any pastry trimmings and use to decorate the top (lattice/halloween shapes etc). Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
The finished flan has a texture of something between a quiche and a cooked cheescake. It is nice served with cream.

mandy moo
26-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Yum, thank you:)

happy days
27-10-2009, 08:03 PM
hello how long do you cook the pumkin pie for? thanx gabrielle

mpkin Pie

Shortcrust pastry - either bought or made with 225g Plain flour

Filling
450g cooked,mashed pumpkin (I put it in a pan with a little water, just like making apple sauce)
100g sugar (brown if you've got it)
1 small can evaporated milk
juice of 1 lemon (couple tablespoons jif lemon)
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs beaten

Roll out the pastry and line a 24cm (9.5 inch) flan tin. Mix all the filling ingredients together and pour into the flan case. Roll out any pastry trimmings and use to decorate the top (lattice/halloween shapes etc). Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
The finished flan has a texture of something between a quiche and a cooked cheescake. It is nice served with cream.
25-10-2009 09:47 AM

madasahatter
27-10-2009, 09:11 PM
how long do you cook the pumkin pie for?

Sorry I missed that bit:blush:

Bake it for 45 mins or until the filling has set and the pastry is golden

happy days
28-10-2009, 11:32 PM
great thanx! will be trying it on halloween x