PDA

View Full Version : PEAL training

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Well I went on my training day (today) and to be honest I have come out feeling that I have learnt nothing particuarly new. If, as a childminder you weren't doing the Working in Partnership with the parents in the first place then you are doing your job wrong. A lot of it hinged on "drawing the parents in", what you can do to involve the parents more, ie providing them with a disposable camera and asking them to take pictures at home, make their own observations and do a learning story for you to have at your setting and expand on.
Some of it was useful - like doing a video of the child for the parents to see - so you can involve the parents more.
Taking the time to see it from the parents view - but I think perhaps I was a little pessimistic at the moment due to various things going on, as to how about the parents sometimes seeing it from your point of view but I take on board about rather than expecting the parents to join in with your theme, expand on what the parents are doing at home, ask the parents how they would like to participate (and I get the compromise thing too....)

I do feel the training comes at it from the angle of a nursery setting rather than a one man band setting but its was all adaptable. Got some good resources out of it too.
May go on and do an accreditation.

www.peal.org.uk (for anyone who is interested)

It nearly turned into a EYFS discussion due to some die-hards who had to have their own voices heard at every opportunity (isn't there always some on every course), the been there, done that and blow my own trumpet brigade. And bleeding heck - the raging hormones in some of these women who appeared to flirting outragously with the tutor (he was a bloke!!!) - it was hilarious.

Annie_T
01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
always one or 2 on every course lol.. male tutor - bet he loved it haha

i looked at the link, canr see a local event, maybe i should contact them and speak to other childminders in my area too

sarah707
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
It's all well and good 'drawing the parents in'... if they want to be drawn. Did it give you any ideas of how to deal with the ones who can't give a monkeys? (sorry Monkey, no offense!) :D

Spangles
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't think I would want my childminder (if I had one!) giving me 'homework' to do with my own child!

I do what I want with Benjamin and wouldn't appreciate someone trying to encourge me to follow what they are doing. What I do with my son at home is my own time with him and I wouldn't want to take photos for a childminder or do a learning story whatever one of those is.

Obviously I would want to know what they were doing there and how he was getting on and talk about it with him at home and have no pressure to start being something I'm not at home if you see what I mean. If he was doing something that he was really enthusiastic about then naturally I would follow it on at home of my own accord.

I think parents have got enough on their plates without extra pressure like that and for us as well to have to try and approach parents with this!

Unless I am reading it all wrong of course which I might be! Ha ha!

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
It's all well and good 'drawing the parents in'... if they want to be drawn. Did it give you any ideas of how to deal with the ones who can't give a monkeys? (sorry Monkey, no offense!) :D

This was mentioned! Peals opinon is that the practitioner has not yet found the method which will work with these parents! So basically we have to bend and bend and try every which way.

I can see that some people may see that is "homework" but what PEAL is saying is that we extend from what parents are already doing at home and asked them to back this up with their own observations and pictures for us to collate into the Learning Journeys/Stories (I am probably explaining it all rather badly). And that we visit the children in their own homes so we can get a closer look at how the parents and children do things and we become involved with them - rather than they become involved and fit into what we are doing.

I can see the good idea and principle behind this and its all well and good for those parents who want to be involved. Like I said a lot of this is nursery based - stuff like preparing Treasureboxes/ Storysacks / Maths, Literacy Libraries that parents can borrow from. Also arranging times for parents to attend the setting or a visit out (ie we are going to the library next week do you want to come etc), seeing what skills the parents can bring to the setting (especially trying to involve Dads). OK, first of all the parents are sending the children to us as they have to go to work... are they really going to take time of to come and spend a morning at the library. Second - if we provide treasureboxes/disposable cameras are we going to get them back.

Another thing I have found out (not really to do with PEAL though) that apparently the term "childminder" is supposed to be on its way out - it has been mooted that we are to be called Early Years Practitioners or something similar. Not sure how accurate this information is....:rolleyes:

Little Pumpkins
01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Hiya

where was your course at?

I was meant to go to one in brighouse but I called to check times yesterday and was told it had been cancelled

Spangles
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
That's exciting! I'm all for the word 'childminder' to be gone it doesn't portray a professional image to most people I don't think, it sounds as professional as 'babysitter' in my opinion and the two are nothing alike!

I hope that that is true! Mind you, 'Cheeky Chops Early Years Practitioner' isn't as catchy! Ha ha!

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
mine was in Darlington.

sarah707
01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I have a parent who is a single father. He is a total and utter pillock. I hate the ground he walks on. He pays late every month. He treats me like a pile of $^&*. He doesn't tell me when I don't need to pick up his son. If I say anything even slightly negative, he walks off and sulks. He rings up and shouts at me sometimes cos he has got the wrong end of the stick about something his son has said. He talks to my boobs. He bullies his girlfriends. A few weeks ago he gave one girlfriend that he'd moved in 3 hours to get out - she had 2 children and herself to move. Another girlfriend rang the police who rang me for a statement - I didn't get involved. Sometimes he rings me and calls me 'sweetheart', 'chuck' or 'love'. If I was a bloke I would have probably punched him by now.

Nice to know I haven't found the best way to work with him yet. Maybe he can come on an outing with us one day and pass on his skills in the bullying women trade to the children. :D

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Oh God Sarah he sounds horrendous - how on earth do you tolerate it?

With some people its totally pointless as you will be talking to a brick wall and no matter what we do

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 07:59 PM
If you have a look at the Resources section there are Childminders downloads (beware printing out certain bits are they are high colour")!

Spangles
01-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I feel sorry for his child/ren. What chance have they got of growing up confident and happy when they go home from yours and he no doubt undoes everything you've achieved with them.

I don't know how you can cope working with a man like that.

sarah707
01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I feel sorry for his child/ren. What chance have they got of growing up confident and happy when they go home from yours and he no doubt undoes everything you've achieved with them.

I don't know how you can cope working with a man like that.

I cope because I feel sorry for the lad! He is still lovely and I am the only constant female in his life, so I struggle on and do my best.

Still though when something goes wrong like a little one gets under his feet or his shoe won't go on properly, I see his father's quick temper coming through...

I do feel sometimes that these do-gooders who want to embrace everyone in their wonderful philosophies really should be invited onto a council estate full of struggling families and single parents in the real world before they go spouting off :D

Spangles
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Sorry, did I offend you? I didn't mean to.

Pipsqueak
01-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I do feel sometimes that these do-gooders who want to embrace everyone in their wonderful philosophies really should be invited onto a council estate full of struggling families and single parents in the real world before they go spouting off :D

The research that PEAL work from is from 3000 children from disadvantaged backgrounds/areas up to the age of 7 over the course of a few years.

I must admit that I can see the benefits of reeling the parents in and getting them to participate more but there is only so much we can do surely

sarah707
01-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Sorry, did I offend you? I didn't mean to.

Not in the slightest! I was referring to the Peal people in Vik's comment who say we need to find out how to relate to parents... like it's our problem!

Sometimes there is simply no relating to some parents! :rolleyes:

Sorry if it came across differently xx

Spangles
02-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Phew! That's a relief!

Tatia
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I have a mother that I really, really don't like. Not only does she moan about her problems incessantly but she spends a lot of time either screaming at and belittling her son or making excuses for his dreadful behaviour. No way on earth do I want to relate to her or invite her round. Many times I've seen her overreact because he has quietly "misplaced" the form from school about parents' evening (hmmm, wonder why?).

Gosh, I've forgotten my entire point! :rolleyes:

Nix
03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Well I did Peal training on Saturday too, in Essex, but it sounds exactly the same as what you did in Darlington. With the exception of the flirting with the tutor, although he was a man!

Just wanted to say I'd agree with your comments about the course...not rocket science!

Regards
Nix