PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying my job

Pipsqueak
22-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Well my two new 2yr olds have started with me over the last couple of days (the ones from the 2yr old pilot project that identifies children with communication problems) and to say that I was unprepared for the level or lack of verbal skills is an understatement!

Thats not to say I am not enjoying the challenge and boy what a challenge it is! Two 2yr olds with virtually non-existent communication.
One of the children is very very baby like - and not just in communciation - I would say at a guess he is delayed by at least a year (and I think I am being generous).

Both of them are lovely lovely children and both sets of parents are very receptive and welcoming to ideas and support.

My 'regular' mindee Iz has been an absolute star and I could hug her to pieces for being so accepting and welcoming and just downright helpful! I am trying very hard to ensure that the 2 newbies don't monopolise all of my time and that I have some special quality time with Iz.

I am exhausted but enjoying it soooo much

Chatterbox Childcare
22-10-2009, 04:52 PM
You are a star to start with 2 at the same time. Maybe you can sit them down together and they will look and maybe start communicating with each other.

Shirlwith3
22-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Have you heard of Makaton?
It is a way oc communication using sign langauage & pictures I have just done the foundation coruse & have started to teach my 1yr old& 3yr old mindees at the moment they can say please & thank you, I will start teaching my 10month old mindee he has developemtal delay so it will come usefull for him.

Have a look at this site, You might be able to find a cousre close to you & only cost me £35,

http://www.makaton.org/

mama2three
22-10-2009, 05:04 PM
heard about the pilot at a network meeting last night , would definately like to get involved , communication is my fave area i would say. Wouldnt think they would consider me though as ive not had a grading inspection yet.
Glad youre enjoying it Pip , hope it keeps being this rewarding!

sweets
22-10-2009, 05:18 PM
im in a simalar position pip, my two new babies have started over the last couple of weeks, one is 12mnths and the other 8 mnths. my exsisitng mindee nearly 4 has been brill, i am so proud of him and have told him often. he has been such a help and loves it! when the babies are asleep we have our special time and do something good.

Ive not got him next week as it is half term but i honestly think i would prefer him to be here as he is such a help! lol.

Think i might go on a special present hunt for him.:)

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
22-10-2009, 05:24 PM
keep up the fantastic work:thumbsup:

Twinkles
22-10-2009, 05:50 PM
I was going to suggest Makaton too. I have a two year old with glue ear and before he had grommits fitted I taught him a few signs.

Blaze
22-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I'd recommend makaton too!:thumbsup:

ajs
22-10-2009, 06:21 PM
heard about the pilot at a network meeting last night , would definately like to get involved , communication is my fave area i would say. Wouldnt think they would consider me though as ive not had a grading inspection yet.
Glad youre enjoying it Pip , hope it keeps being this rewarding!

were you at the meeting in worksop

good for you pip i heard about it last night too and was wondering about it although i don't have any vacancies at the mo so i wouldn't be much use would i

LittleAcorns
22-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Have you heard of Makaton?
It is a way oc communication using sign langauage & pictures I have just done the foundation coruse & have started to teach my 1yr old& 3yr old mindees at the moment they can say please & thank you, I will start teaching my 10month old mindee he has developemtal delay so it will come usefull for him.

Have a look at this site, You might be able to find a cousre close to you & only cost me £35,

http://www.makaton.org/

I used a little makaton with Amber, it was amazing, she could sign MILK at 5 months old.

emler
22-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Good for you Pip :thumbsup:

janminder
22-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I have twin mindees (grandsons) who will be 3 at end January. they have speech delay and are under speech and language and one is having grommets put in next wednesday, the other was signed off from audiology earlier in the year but the speech and language lady is referring him back, it does sound to me as if he is not hearing correctly by the way some of the few words he has sound, they were also 14 weeks premature which has hindered their development. They can do a bit of signing.

Glad you are enjoying your job, thats why I am on waiting list to do my NVQ3 since finding out we need to have it by 2015, did think about maybe early retirement but know I would miss it too much.

Pipsqueak
22-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Been to a meeting tonight and I am going to get funding for some baby signing and/or makaton.:clapping: thank you for the suggestions:D
I am really looking fowards to having these children more and honestly believe that I a can make a difference and feel very privilaged to have been selected to care for them

AnnieM
22-10-2009, 10:03 PM
were you at the meeting in worksop

Your not far away from me, I am in Clowne. I did the Tiny Talk course at Retford a couple of years ago, I enjoyed it so much that I joined a local Sing and Sign class with a mindee who has sadly left me now. He was very good at signing though and it helped imensely with early understanding. 'IF' I ever get any more little ones I will certainly be going back to the Sing and Sign classes.

Well done Pip, as far as I am aware we don't have anything like that in our area, as if we did I would love to get involved. I think it would be very rewarding.

Angela234
22-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm doing a makaton course next month 6 weeks at 2 hours a week

I look after a girl 21 months who has downs and she signs its amazing how they pick it up so i really need to learn more

My youngest son hardly spoke until he was 5 (learning disability) i wish i knew Makaton them (26 years ago)

Sounds like your doing a great job