PDA

View Full Version : Should Hunky Monkey register in his own right?

Monkey1
22-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm trying to see if its worth Hunky Monkey registering too or to stay as an assistant? We have been approached by a lady who needs a child collecting from another school and is happy for him to do it but i feel he is better becoming a full minder so that he has his own insurance etc.

What are the pro's /con's?

tashaleee
22-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I would say it depends on how he feels about doing courses and paperwork?

Also, if your current grading is outstanding and your DH got graded as satisfactory (not saying he would, just giving a thought example) could that affect your business or any prospective new parents?

Also, by having an assistant rather than 2 childminders at the same premises would it actually change the numbers of children you can look after? If it didnt, would it be worth the extra paperwork for 2 of you to be registered?

Blackhorse
22-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I also think I read somewhere that you would have to get 2 inspections...

I would find out if you would be allowed more kids..and how many..see if it is finanially worth it to do

little_gems
22-10-2009, 08:04 PM
hi im in the very same postion!! my husband has been working with me for the last 6 months and cant decide weather to register in his own right or just stay as my assistant.

He's just finished his trainning so could now register but theres no added benifits. apart from having children for LONG periods of time on his own(which he wouldnt do really).

We are registered for 10 under 8. and he can be left for short periods of time on and off the premises with any age now. He collects from one school i collect from another and met back at home sometime he's here on his own for 5 min other times i back before him!

So cant really see the point. If we show new parents that he is fully trained then explain to the parents about it being silly to have 2 ofsted inspections and all the paper work that would be needed i cant see it being a problem.

sarah707
22-10-2009, 08:12 PM
As you know Mr KC registered.

He didn't enjoy the course particularly but we did manage to find him a 3 day one rather than night after night after night...

He did his first aid 2 Saturdays and he's done one course since but he has done a couple with work that will show progression.

We will have 2 inspections but they will both be at the same time (we were told, not sure how true that is).

He needs his own SEF so there is a good whack of paperwork.

It does make a difference him being able to collect from a second school.

We didn't go for upping our numbers because of the issue with planning permission.

hth :D

Monkey1
23-10-2009, 04:35 AM
Thank you Ladies. I think i will just call ofsted and go over it with them and see what they suggest x

angeldelight
23-10-2009, 05:57 AM
My daughter is registered - comes in handy

Good luck monkey

Angel xx

Pauline
23-10-2009, 07:13 AM
We will have 2 inspections but they will both be at the same time (we were told, not sure how true that is).

It is true. Friend of mine and her hubby are both registered and they were inspected at the same time - took all day :eek:

Positive side - they EACH get something from the Capital Grant :thumbsup:

Negative side - cost of two registrations, cost of two insurances plus what has already been said.

:)

Amaranth
23-10-2009, 10:08 AM
My hubby is registered in his own right. The insurance didn't cost too much extra for us. We are with MM and they do a 'family' insurance (I think it cost about £20 extra for him to be on there too) NCMA also do a family membership that is cheaper than 2 individual memberships.
We had our inspections at the same time. She was with us for about 4 hours and gave us both the same grade. She said that as we were both working together and using the same paperwork, doing same crafts and activities etc... that it would be the fairest way to do it.
If he is registered in his own right, you don't have to pay him minimum wage or do any of the paperwork that goes with it either.

The only downside really is the cost of the 2 ofsted renewals each year.

Monkey1
23-10-2009, 11:56 AM
It is true. Friend of mine and her hubby are both registered and they were inspected at the same time - took all day :eek:

Positive side - they EACH get something from the Capital Grant :thumbsup:

Negative side - cost of two registrations, cost of two insurances plus what has already been said.

:)

I like the sound of two capital grant applications!

thank you all ladies. My DO is out next week so i will ask