PDA

View Full Version : Payment regarding sickness

little miss chatterbox
22-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi

I'm just after a bit of advice if I can,

I am paid monthly in advance so if I have to close for sickness I refund it on the next invoice!

This month it's slightly more complicated.

I have a child who comes 3 full days a week however over the last 6 weeks they have only been coming 2 afternoons as they have family staying but have still paid for the 3 full days (lovely i know!)

however, one of those days my daughter was off sch with a tummy ache. At the time I thought it was an anxiety tummy ache coz she's a bit of a worrier and told the parents this.

Even so they decided to keep child off as they didn't want them ill as they were still getting over a nasty cold!

So I have decided to refund the money (i'm assuming i don't have to as it was their decision not to come?) to keep up the good relationship with the parents etc etc. Plus they've been paying me for 24 hrs a week and have only been using 6 for the last 6 weeks!

So my question is, do I refund the whole day that they paid for or just the after noon that they were planning on using!

I don't think they will be expecting anything back at all but i thought it was a nice thing to do!

Thanks and sorry this has turned into a ramble!

huggableshelly
22-10-2009, 12:04 PM
you are right in stating that it was the parents decission to keep their child home, you did not close so really no refund is due.

I understand how you feel though and if you really do wish to refund then just do hald day so you do not lose too much of your income.

I do not refund, I credit sessions so no money is being sent back and parents can either claim extra sessions as in bank their owed time for inset days etc or claim them off their next bill. most bank them so they do not end up with a hefty bill during school closures.

little chickee
22-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I think its a good idea on your behalf to offer the refund, I would offer the refund for the afternoon they were going to use - you might find that they say no to the refund but its good for your relationship with the parents to offer it.

mama2three
22-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I think if you decide to refund at all that it should be a full day , they paid for a full day even though they would have only brought lo a few hours . Not sure i would refund at all as if there was ever a similar thing happen ,child ill, you were open and they chose not to come etc , they may expect the same again?

The Juggler
22-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I think if you offer to work but your dd is sick and they then decide not to send their child you do need to refund money as it's potentially a contagious illness. Someone else might confirm but this is my view and what I've done in the past.

Also I would refund the day given the circumstances.

tulip0803
22-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I think if you offer to work but your dd is sick and they then decide not to send their child you do need to refund money as it's potentially a contagious illness. Someone else might confirm but this is my view and what I've done in the past.

Also I would refund the day given the circumstances.

Like Juggler I always give parents the option if one of my children was ill. If they come they pay if they don't they don't, because my child may pass something on to theirs. Had it recently when DD2 was sent home from school for coughing:rolleyes: - But parents decided to send/keep children with me. Only thing I do not give an option for is sickness & diahorrea definately closed then.

I also don't refund but credit it against next bill. I would credit the whole day.