PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed re: juggling the different ages

Mel09
21-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi All !

I started minding in Sep and it is going really well but am finding one thing a bit difficult. I have a little girl aged 10 months 3 days a week (I have a 1 year old myself). I also have her two sisters aged 4 and 7 for about an hour after school. I have a little play room that we all go into to. They usually paint or draw but I find that my little boy keeps wanting to join in which they get a bit wound up at, so I have to keep grabbing him and distracting him. My main worry is that I have to get them snacks or get their pens/paper etc.... and I find that I am spending a lot of my time looking after them as well as keeping the babies away from the table etc..... I think maybe I have too many toys out etc...... as they do one thing then want to play with something else etc... and maybe I should only have certain activities they can do on certain days, but then I think it is more like school. My house is quite big but if they play in the lounge I can't see them from the play room so I need them to all be in the same room.

Anyone got any advice about how you plan the activities round the 2 different age groups. I now get their snacks ready and the cups with their juice so that I have everything I can to hand, but I have to rush out to grab something every so often and worry about the babies (I only go out of the room for about a few seconds and the playroom is child safe). Maybe I am not being strcit enough either, hmmmmm. Don't know if this makes sense I am just finding that I have to spend more time with them than the babies and it should be the other way round really.

Thanks in advance xx

FizzysFriends
21-10-2009, 07:10 PM
We use 2 rooms and the older ones usually after school want to go into the lounge and chill, they are all into making dens at the moment so before they arrive I just put a selection of random things in the corner of the room for them to use along with their imagination.

The little ones stay with me in the other room and freeplay.

sarah707
21-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I would say that most older children should be allowed a measure of independence... and shouldn't expect to be spoonfed activities all session either!!

They should be fine taking a game into another room and playing together - it's what they will do at home...

This will leave you to concentrate on the little ones, which is what you need to be doing really.

Also if having paints, glitter etc out is difficult with the babies, then just have them in the garden! Other days, crayons or other craft items will be enough.

They should not need constant stimulation after school, they need somewhere to chill and sit and read a book or watch a bit of TV.

i think from your post that you care deeply, want to get it right and are probably trying a little too hard.

Plus all being in one room must be very hard for you, I do think you need to consider spreading out.

If they are anything like my lot, there will be lots of tales about who is doing what to whom anyway, so you'll not miss much :laughing:

Ask parents what the children do at home after school and go along with that a little more.

Hope this helps! :D

Mel09
21-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks, I would do that but I can't see the room from the playroom very well, but might give it a go. They like to draw but I am not sure I could trust them there. I could trust the older one but not sure about the younger one. Difficult eh hmmmmmm.

sarah707
21-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I had ages 10, 6, 5, 3 and just starting to walk baby here today.

10 and 5 played with Polly Pockets at the dining room table (little pieces, not great for baby).

I couldn't see them but kept popping my head around the door.

6 and 3 year olds were drawing at the conservatory table - near enough to me so I could be there. That's where craft is always done and I'm usually in the vicinity. They learn very quickly to respect the craft items.

They all had a game of hide and seek - noisy but fun - while I fed baby (he was hungry early).

Then they all went and watched a bit of TV just before tea.

I often find 3 can be difficult together so I make activity suggestions to divide and conquer too :laughing:

I am lucky my partner cooks, but even so I don't need to watch them all the time, they go off and do their own thing.

Hope this helps :D

Chatterbox Childcare
21-10-2009, 07:37 PM
You don't have to have all the children in your sight. You can have them so that you can hear them.

I know that you want to keep you house as a home but in our profession mess and accidents will occur and it is all part of the job I am afraid, compensated by the wear and tear tax deduction.

Let the older ones have a bit of freedom and you won't feel like you are pulling your hair out to occupy them all and life will be less stressful. That doesn't mean that you cannot have rules!

Hope all works out okay

Dragonfly
21-10-2009, 07:39 PM
It does make me giggle when I hear childminders say the older ones from school Just need to chill!! its probably what they do at home, but here its always what are we doing today/now I wish they would just chill at mine!

Mel09
21-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks so much, I think that I am being overly worried as I have only just started, but reading your replies has helped me see that I do need to spread out a bit. I can see the lounge from a part of the playroom and can hear them, so I will start letting them play in there and then I can concentrate on the babies. I am not worried about mess on the carpet just don't want them to draw where they shouldn't, (the 4 year old has already drawn on her stool) but I am sure they will be fine.

Thanks for all the replies, I feel a lot better now. I was wrapping them in cotton wool I suppose, but need to give them some independance and time to chill I suppose. :)