PDA

View Full Version : parents time off

chels55
21-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Just wondering if your parents bring the children to you when they have days/weeks off?
As i charge for their holidays i find that the parents will always bring the children to me.
One lo (full time) only had 1 day off last year and that was for illness even though mum has 8 weeks a year holiday

Lady Haha
21-10-2009, 09:03 AM
You have to laugh don't you!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TheBTeam
21-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Yep, that is why this year I am taking christmas eve off, so that the parents have a practice day with their children before Christmas day!

chels55
21-10-2009, 09:09 AM
:laughing:
Yep, that is why this year I am taking christmas eve off, so that the parents have a practice day with their children before Christmas day!

louised
21-10-2009, 09:40 AM
That is why I don't charge full fees for holidays I only charge half as I think the parents think as they are paying full fees they may as well use the space but they don't seem to mind paying half and having the children at home.

Curly Quavers
21-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I have a LO who comes to me all the time and her mum is a primary school teacher!

All I know is it is certainly not the way I would ever choose to bring my children up. If I am off I am with my children. (otherwise what was the point in having them)

But I do try not to judge (I try very hard) I tell my self everybody is different.

solly
21-10-2009, 09:59 AM
This happens to me all the time, I have 2 children next week as it's half term and mum has taken the week off, and I am still having the kids:angry: they are not the easiest children either which is why i think she sends them to me as there is no discipline at home

Lady Haha
21-10-2009, 10:02 AM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

julie w
21-10-2009, 10:03 AM
You mean you dont have children Christmas Day? That's terrible. How will parents cope.:D

julie w
21-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Whoops! Was that a little sarcastic lol.:blush:

Curly Quavers
21-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Whoops! Was that a little sarcastic lol.:blush:

It's true though some parents are a joke.

gegele
21-10-2009, 10:14 AM
if you're offering your services all year long and parents are paying all year long I don't see the problem on the business side of it. of course the mother in me think that they should be with their kids but that's not my place to say.

i take 4weeks a year, i have one who comes all year so we take our holiday on the same time, and she pays me 1/2 fee. the others are term times only so not affected by holidays.

i understand what you say as it's sad but the child is at the best place where he's having fun.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
21-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I take the view that if I am being paid then does it matter if the parent is at home or not as long as I know where to get hold of them?

Curly Quavers
21-10-2009, 10:45 AM
You are correct from a business point of view no it does not matter as long as I can get them if I need them.

my opinion is the above

youarewhatyoueat
21-10-2009, 11:49 AM
If I worked away from home during the day I would also send my children to a cm if I was at home it would give me a chance to catch up on the decorating that i've been wanting to do in ages. So I've got next week off with my own children here, anyone want them for the week!!!!!lol
Seriously I don't blame parents, they rarely get a chance to recharge their batteries in a peaceful house without having to amuse the children thats why they work to pay us.

lovemyprams
21-10-2009, 12:00 PM
One of my parents works at a school so off every holiday. However, she still sends them to me (and would for 5 days if she could!).

They are demanding children so it does enable her to get jobs/shopping out of the way as she couldnt do it with the children at home.

If you are being paid then I dont see how anyone can complain. However, I know I would want to have my children at home if I was off - but thats just me.:)

Minstrel
21-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm lucky! :clapping:

ALL of my parents at the moment will keep their childrne with them if they are off. :thumbsup:

little chickee
21-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I have mindees whose parents don't work - they use the time to shop, clean the house, get their haircut, legs waxed etc. I don't mind what they do i get paid to look after the kids and it immaterial wheter parents are at work or not.

Tired
21-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I have one mum who finishes work at 1.30 each day. She still pays me to collect her son from school and have him till 5pm.

Thats fine, she pays me, so I dont care what she does.

However, on the odd occasion I take the day off, she still arranges for him to be collected by a friend and go to their house for tea, and still collects at 5.

Makes you wonder what she is doing in that time?!?

Ripeberry
21-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I used to send my kids to the CM one day a week. Initially with my first because I wanted to do some voluntuary work with the meals on wheels, then some gardening work. And once my first went to pre-school it was so I could have one to one time with my second and then my first would have me one to one when the youngest was at pre-school.
Time to yourself is sometimes more precious than money :)

The Juggler
21-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I would not normally question why parents are bringing a child when off as they are paying me and I know it's easier to do all sorts of chores/decorating etc meetings or just meeting friends without lo's in tow.

However, to not spend even 1 week of your 8 week holiday with LO???? That is extreme. Assume only bank holidays are spent with this poor child.....
OK now when they young to work it out but child may have serius issues when older if they work it out.

poor little thing.

miffy
21-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Just wondering if your parents bring the children to you when they have days/weeks off?
As i charge for their holidays i find that the parents will always bring the children to me.
One lo (full time) only had 1 day off last year and that was for illness even though mum has 8 weeks a year holiday

I find parents do that too - now I put in my contracts I have two weeks paid holiday a year, that way at least I get a break.

I feel sad for your lo - cannot see the point of having children if you don't want to spend any time with them!

Miffy xx

suzyblue
22-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Some parents do feel guilty about having time off and not having their children, I actually encourage them to bring their children to me so that they can have some 'me time'. I know I would have loved that when my children were little.

balloon
22-10-2009, 08:10 AM
When I was younger, and at college, my children went to a nursery. On my (rare) days off I still sent them. I'm a single mum and it was the only chance I got to be 'normal', ie to have a coffee with my friends or to go and buy some clothing for myself or simply to just go home and clean and tidy without having two toddlers to entertain (and yes, shock horror I even went to the wine bar for one glass of wine after exams on one occasion!). I never ever go out in the evenings as I will not use babysitters (too many v bad experiences).

This didn't mean that I didn't love them or that I didn't want to be with them just that I knew I was important too and I needed a break to be the best mum I could be. I have to say that I desperately hated that the nursery stuff were discussing the fact that I chose to use them to do what I paid them for when I had days off.

When I feel like moaning that my parents choose to still send their children to me I try to remember this and how I felt when I overheard them (nursery staff) discussing me. Parents are human too and possibly need a break from their children when they are not busy working as much as we need a break from our mindees at weekends...

singlewiththree
22-10-2009, 08:53 AM
When I used a cm I used to send mine even if I wasn't working. As a single mum I would catch up on ironing/cleaning or just simply sit and read a book :) now as a cm I relish it when the parents are off and choose not to bring them like today!!! mindee was up in the night and mum is off so I'm child free until 12

The Juggler
22-10-2009, 10:13 AM
When I was younger, and at college, my children went to a nursery. On my (rare) days off I still sent them. I'm a single mum and it was the only chance I got to be 'normal', ie to have a coffee with my friends or to go and buy some clothing for myself or simply to just go home and clean and tidy without having two toddlers to entertain (and yes, shock horror I even went to the wine bar for one glass of wine after exams on one occasion!). I never ever go out in the evenings as I will not use babysitters (too many v bad experiences).

This didn't mean that I didn't love them or that I didn't want to be with them just that I knew I was important too and I needed a break to be the best mum I could be. I have to say that I desperately hated that the nursery stuff were discussing the fact that I chose to use them to do what I paid them for when I had days off.

When I feel like moaning that my parents choose to still send their children to me I try to remember this and how I felt when I overheard them (nursery staff) discussing me. Parents are human too and possibly need a break from their children when they are not busy working as much as we need a break from our mindees at weekends...

I totally agree Bluemoon, it's lovely to have odd days to yourself and be your own person again, but would you have sent them every day if you had eight weeks holiday to use up. I agree we shouldn't question as parents are paying us but this is an extreme case!

suez
22-10-2009, 10:27 AM
i have the same ,my mindy is never at home with mom when she rings in sick(hungover) she tells me she havin a duvet day with friend on sofa:panic: i would love to do that get up decide i dont fancy working today then lounge on sofa all day (no chance) when my little boy went to a cm and i had a very rare day off i always kept him home with me because i thought its nice to spend that quality time together coz i usually couldnt coz of working.

suez
22-10-2009, 10:31 AM
they are also my neighbour/friend so i know this for a fact, my finish time with him is at 2.30pm so im on call while hes in afternoon nursery but i get a text sayin could i pick him up as got mate comin round at 3 but thing is he comes out at 2.45pm so back home for 3pm (laziness coz im goin there to get my own lil 1) i find it frustrating coz i cant say no!

janminder
22-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes i have had children on odd days when the parents have had day off sometimes i have known because they ask if i mind, others i find out by how a conversations goes after normally the mindee letting something out, and once I got off train after taking a mindee, the only one i had that day, to a local museum that morning and bumped into the dad and older brother. The dad looked a bit embarassed and the mindee wondered why they couldnt be with them.

singingcactus
22-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't charge when I don't have the kids. I have one family who would not send their child to me if they were off, whether I charged or not.
I have one family who pay me to look after their child whilst they are at home! If they kept the child home they would not be paying me, but they would rather pay me to look after their child than do it themselves.

I am not fussed either way usually because I have always enjoyed the kids I have cared for...I am enjoying it less this month, so it is bugging me.

SmartKids
23-10-2009, 11:25 AM
When a set of parents have taken day off to look after friends children they have still sent their lo to me :rolleyes:

Erika
23-10-2009, 04:12 PM
When I was on holiday recently, I put my children to my childminders for one day so I could go for an eye test, a well woman check up with the nurse in peace and enjoy some quality "me" time. I am a lone parent and the kids have no contact with their father, I don't have nights out. The only time I get to myself is the walk to and from work. I relish the opportunity for a bit of time on my own, but I wouldn't dream of sending my children to our childminder every day of my holiday, I want to spend some time with them. Our childminder knew exectly why I wanted her to have the children that day and that my mobile was switched on if she needed to get in contact. That said, as I am paying for the place regardless and she isn't on holiday, I don't really think it would be her business to question me about it if I did.

Bitsy Beans
23-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Whilst it's of little importance to me what my parents do whilst I have their kids I can't help but think as a parent myself it's a wee bit sad not to want to spend your free time with your children. OK the odd day here and there I can understand (like me and H trying to get decorating done at home granny helps out with the kids) but to never have any quality time with the kids.....I just don't see the point of having kids if you're so disinterested in them :huh: