PDA

View Full Version : ohhhh i was soooo mad

Mags
01-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a mindee four mornings a week and yesterday mum asked if she could increase her hours from 4 hrs each day to 6. Well my first thought was that it would effect the other two mindees (full timers) who I normally take to mother and toddler group two afternoons per week.
Anyway when she asked how much extra it would cost her, I told her it would be £3 per extra hour which totals an extra £24 per week. Blimey she was off on one...saying it was way too expensive and would I not do it "just for her" for £60 per week.

Ohhhh I was soooooo blummin mad....I told her no way would I work for less than £3 per hour and include another meal.

She left saying she would look around this weekend to see what others would charge her. Arrgggghhhhhhhhhhh :angry:

flora
01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
There are always some parents willing to take the mickey, sorry you have landed one.
Good for you for standing your ground though :clapping: , would have been easy to cave in for a quiet life.

crazybones
01-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Good for you. Some people. :angry:

Annie x

sarah707
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
It's a nightmare when they do this isn't it?!?

Whatever happened to continuity of care when they are nit picking over £3 per hour! For goodness sake!

You are right - don't shift! :D

fionamal
01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Dont blame you for being mad, so would I. Stick to your guns and dont give into her. Im sure she wouldnt want to work extra hours for nothing.

Chimps Childminding
01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
It really makes me mad when parents quibble over a few pounds, i'm sure most of them think because we are working from home we shouldn't get wages or that we have expenses. whats more annoying is that most of them wouldn't think twice about spending that on some new game or gadget for their little darling!:angry:

Mollymop
01-03-2008, 11:09 AM
I would be mad as well! What does the woman take you for? Glad to hear you stuck to your guns. She can look around all she wants but she'll be lucky to get anyone else to do it cheaper. Did she really expect you do have the child for 2 extra hours a day for almost nothing? Of course you were going to charge her extra! I can't understand the parents attitude!

Twinkles
01-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Would she do extra hours at work for no more money?? I don't think so.
More to the point would she work for £3 an hour????

yummymummy
01-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Stand firm Mags, some parents have absolutely no respect for their childminder and the service they provide and how it makes it possible for them to do their job. If the parent was asked to up their hours do you think she'd do it for nothing or token pay? You can bet your life not, if that is her attitude you would be better off without her but what a shame for her child who is settled with you and comfortable, if she would consider sending them elsewhere for the sake of a few pounds what sort of parent is she? :angry: X

Spangles
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
That's disgusting! You are right you have to stick to your proper fees, if you were to do her this as a favour just for her chances are she wouldn't appreciate it anyway, you would be losing out money-wise and if other parents heard about it it could cause you loads of trouble.

Stick to your guns, you're not a charity, this is your livelihood!

tulip0803
01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I agree totally. I also don't think it would end their I think she would keep demanding "favours". £3 per hour is reasonable and you are now including dinner. Be strong.

Juliaxx

Heaven Scent
01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Here Here I agree with you all I have a parent like that starting soo I've stood firm and she is still sending her children to me. She isn't a bad person just stingy to the core and her 2 younger ones are always dressed in clothes that had belonged to her 17 year old well some are thread bear and even have holes in and others are all bobbled its a shame for the younger ones everything is sooooo dated they still come in leggins and straight leg trousers so no consideration given to them. I know she and her husband earn a packet and they live in a big house on an exclusive estate. Again don't get me wrong I've dressed my children in hand me downs from time to time but not in outdated stuff or really shabby stuff. I tended to mix and match old and new, but things were never thread bare I think we should show our children some respect. I also don't like children to come in the same clothes for 5 days just because they are not too dirty, 2 days is enough they begin to smell and feel grubby.

Enough about that these people spend a fortune on their holidays and meals out and won't spend it on care for their most precious posessions (I don't line the word posessions but just making a point)

Celine:mad: :mad:

Annie_T
01-03-2008, 03:27 PM
what are some people like huh

you charge less than the average wage, you cant be expected to work for even less...good tho you stood your ground hun

eww same clothes for week no way my kids were their clothes max of 2days- as they only in them few hours after skool really, but if it half term then change daily- no demand from me they just do lol

least hey stayin with you hun

Mollymop
01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
urrgghh, Celine that's shocking! My kids may wear their clothes the next day if we are not going out anywhere and they look clean, but not all week. I would never do it, so would never want my kids to have to do it. Bless them X

deeb66
01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Well done for standing your ground Mags.

If her employer asked her to work extra she wouldn't do it as a favour or for less than her hourly rate so what on earth made her think she could expect you to do less :rolleyes:

I doubt she will find anyone to do it for less

Banana
01-03-2008, 04:17 PM
If she finds anyone to do it for less then let her go!!

What a cheeky mare!

Well done you for being firm

xx

Noodles
01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Some parents want all for nothing dont they.
I had an enquiry the other day for a 10 month little girl who is in nursery at the moment and they want to get their childcare costs down so thought they would try a childminder.
He wanted 7.30 till 5pm every day.
I said i could do it for £135 he said that was far too much and he would just leave it.
I felt like asking him if he would go to work for £2.84 per hour :angry: :angry:

wendywu
02-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Gosh good job he does not live in surrey. That week would cost him£190.00. Perhaps you should tell him that

As the saying goes "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" No offence to our monkey:laughing:

LittleMissSparkles
02-03-2008, 10:16 AM
cheeky so and so ... I doubt very much she will find anyone willing to do it for less, I think she was hoping that you would feel threatened by it and say oh ok then,..... stick to your guns babe xxx

Pipsqueak
02-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Its amazing what people will try to wriggle out of and complain about when paying for childcare.
Perhaps in fairness the few extra quid may actually matter in her purse/budget but we are not a bleedin charity!!!

Well done for standing firm:clapping:

Mags
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Just thought I would update everyone...thanks for the support by the way it made me feel a lot better......parents arrived as usual this morning saying they were ok to go ahead and extend hours and were happy to pay exactly what I had asked. We will update contracts later.

I'm so glad that I stood my ground ...sometimes it does pay off and after all WE ARE WORTH IT!!!:clapping:

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
You are right well done for sticking to it

What a cheek

Good luck let us know what happens

Angel xx

LittleMissSparkles
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Just thought I would update everyone...thanks for the support by the way it made me feel a lot better......parents arrived as usual this morning saying they were ok to go ahead and extend hours and were happy to pay exactly what I had asked. We will update contracts later.

I'm so glad that I stood my ground ...sometimes it does pay off and after all WE ARE WORTH IT!!!:clapping:

she was tryin it on to see if you would cave in then like we said.... well done on sticking to your guns xxx