PDA

View Full Version : Would you give tixylix?

lissy
20-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I had a parent turn up with tixylix for their child this morning it was a cough syrup as the mindee has a tickly cough which has been irritating her now for a while. Would you give it (with the appropriate permission forms signed of course)??

MissTinkerbell
20-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I have provided that the correct forms are filled in.

sunnysmile
20-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes as long as all paperwork filled in. Tixylix used to make my daughter vomit though :rolleyes:

youarewhatyoueat
20-10-2009, 05:51 PM
No I only give calpol or prescription meds

sarah707
20-10-2009, 06:19 PM
We can give medication advised by a pharmacist as well as that prescribed by a doctor.

Like you say just make sure you have the correct paperwork completed.

I would also refer parents to the information about certain cough medicines being banned -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-546909/Cough-medicine-banned-children-100-remedies-taken-shelves.html

And check they have taken recent advice from the Pharmacist ie. it's not an old medicine bottle.

hth :D

gemhei
20-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Id only give medication perscribed by a doctor, ive given calpol before if a child had a temp or was very upset with parents permission but thats as far as i go.

TheBTeam
20-10-2009, 06:52 PM
I have not had to yet, I have had parents request it, but I have not found a child that needs it when the parents say they do, I go down the root of these things usually improve during the daytime hours, so best it is saved for later on in the evening when these things get worse.

I will give calpol and stuff but generally don't think tixylix type medicines do anything, this was advice given by a doctor and I have found over the years that it has been the case!

uf353432
20-10-2009, 07:22 PM
My parent turned up with a bottle for my mindee yesterday and I advised that I could not administer it. I am fairly sure that its been reported that cough mixtures for children are completely unaffective and that its not recommended that we administer it. In fact fairly sure I read that on here...........somewhere........still looking......

............... yep here it is :)

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28629&highlight=cough+medicine

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
20-10-2009, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=sunnysmile;555215. Tixylix used to make my daughter vomit though :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

same here used to make both my girls vomit!!