PDA

View Full Version : student placement

little daisies
20-10-2009, 04:25 PM
i`ve been approached by an nvq 2 ccld student about doing a placement 1 day a week with me. has anyone done this? if so did it work out ok? what sort of things do i need to show them and do with them:( any advise welcome

huggableshelly
20-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I've done this with a school student not a college student.

when I agreed to it the head teacher canme out to assess my setting and discuss a suitable timetable for work and lunch hours. It was stated in a letter that the student is never to clear up body fluids, perform first aid or handle sharp knives (no fruit cutting).

I would presume the college would get in touch with you to discusee how to work with a student, I would expect the student would have to provide atleast one activity, maybe observations which you need to gain parental permission for and be your shadow whist in your setting.

You need to contact NCMA or whichever insurance company you are with, inform them you are taking on students and need employee liability insurance cover, its free for use with students.

hope that helps a bit.

nannysue
20-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Over the years I have had a lot of students from the local college and have had a good experience with all of them . They have their own work to do , usually obs or an activity otherwise they just fit in with me and my routine. Its actually quite nice to have an extra pair of hands Their college tutor comes out at some time during the placement to do an assessment on them.

Its funny how they end up saying that childminding is so different to what they were expecting .

Feet up ... cups of tea while the children just play ..... I wish !!!!!!