PDA

View Full Version : Childminders working together

gemhei
20-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone, ive been away for a while as its been busy here! I just wanted to ask you for some advise.

Over the last few months ive been debating wether to carry on minding as times have been tough finacially plus DP isnt too happy about childminding at home now his hours have changed. A childminder i know quite well has come to me and asked if i would like to work with her at her house to make peace with DP and also giving me opportunity to get more children as she lives in an area with more demand and is currently full so i would be making more money. Sounds ideal for me.

I was just wondering if any of you worked with more than one childminder in the same house? How do you work finacially? Do you pay some kind of rent? What about food costs etc? Does this affect your tax? And last of all does it really work out?

Thanks for your advice :)

The Juggler
20-10-2009, 01:10 PM
not sure. depends how she wants to split it. if you are keyworker to different children and you each get paid for those children that might work or you could split it. However, she'd have more overheads so you'd need to contribute.

It sounds like it could be perfect solution for you though but maybe sign something concrete with her before you start about splitting costs etc.

LOL

gemhei
20-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Wed be working seperately so my children would be mine, hers hers etc. Id sign a contract so we knew where we stood, i just dont know whats reasonable to contribute really and just wondered how others work it?

Thanks for the advise :)

mama2three
20-10-2009, 05:02 PM
sounds like a bit of a minefield to me. you would need storage for your resources , unless you intend to plan together all the time , your own display boards etc. What if one of your mindees breaks something or damages her home , would your insurance cover it , would hers? You would need to have almost identical policies and procedures etc i should think. And if she intends having so many children in her home is there actually space? she may have to get planning permission etc depending upon the council. My best friend is also a minder , and we spend a fair amount of time together but i do think it would damage our friendship if it was 'full time'.
Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear - just my opinion. I do know its not easy keeping other halves happy and juggling family , home , minding etc when they dont completely back you.

suzyblue
20-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I worked with another childminder for years. We split everything 50/50 and then she paid me rent. We worked four days a week from my house and she paid 10.00 per day. I thought that wasnt much and a good deal but she thought it was unfair. There was a few other problems like phone usage and buying equipment/toys as I could afford to pay for things and she couldnt which meant I ended up paying for things myself. Theres a lot to think about but it has a lot of advantages too and if you tend to get on very well you should be ok. Despite what I just said I would do it again. Good luck!!

suzyblue
20-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Remember to agree on the food too. If you have separate children buying the food and cooking needs to be sorted out. Parents dont mind splitting their fees between two of you if you want to do it that way.

suzyblue
20-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Sorry its me again,
What about being her assistant instead (no inspection for you! or insurance etc) She could then pay you a wage and you could still be self employed. Still a lot of details to iron out first though.......

gemhei
20-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi thanks everyone! Ive made a list of costs already and im going for a meeting with her and hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement. There would def be more space for extra children as the house is huge not to mention the acres of land outside lol. I think maybe splitting children 50/50 maybe a better solution really but i would have to talk to her about this.

I know lots of childminders that work together and seem to be quite happy doing so but i dont know them well enough to ask about their finacial arrangements lol. Thanks again, anymore advice would be really helpful thanks!

suzyblue
21-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Remember to sort out things like:
if the group needs storage or furniture, who would pay because if you stopped working there, the furniture would probably stay at her house. maybe you could have a resources pot where you put the same amount in per wk or mth and then if you left maybe she could pay you the second hand value back?
Maybe you could have a food pot too....I think I would do it this way if I did it again. (You could try and put a bit too much in and then treat yourselves to a night out occasionally?)

And would you pay her rent for holidays or bank holidays? We still got paid for our holidays (4 wks) but my colleague didnt pay me so I was out of pocket and had to budget for that.

Try and think of everything and if something comes up at a later date - talk about it!
Good luck!

suzyblue
21-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh yes, one more thing, you can get insured together (with mortonmichel anyway) and it works out cheaper. We then paid half of the total amount each.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I think that you need to talk to Ofsted as there is different types of registration. Yours from your home is one thing but working out of another is different as you are registered to work from yours

Get advice but it sounds as though this will suit you.

gemhei
21-10-2009, 04:15 PM
The registration will cost the same if i work at home or with someone else, ofsted will simply change my address on my certificate along with my numbers if needed.

I have chose not to work with someone else however at the moment, not because of the things mentioned here but due to the fact im pregnant and i live next to school now, if i move il have to push a double buggy up a large hill pregnant, plus i dont think it will be fair leaving her to deal with everything if i have anti-natal appointments all the time. Other factors are that i would have to get to her house very early, upsetting my childrens routines.

Thank you for all your advise though and i will make note of it for the future just incase things change.

suzyblue
22-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Congratulations!!!!:clapping: