PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please for after school snacks now weather is colder

essexgirl1967
20-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi!
I'm currently caring for school age kids only term time only, and have just managed to fill all my places under 8's and over 8's! Although I've been a childminder a long time, I am now trying to appear more professional and send out newsletters, and have a noticeboard showing meal plans, fire escapes, display artwork etc. I provide breakfast which is no problem but am stuck for after school snack ideas now the weather is colder. During summer, mindees were having little picnics outside with things like sandwiches, icecreams, etc. However, now we are eating indoors I need ideas for food that can poss be left cooking whilst I go out at 3pm/4pm school runs, or just warmed up when we return. It needs to be just a snack tho not a big dinner as will have up to 12 kids to cater for, and people start to collect from 4.30pm onwards so will need to be something thay could take with them if necessary. Am thinking of things like mini pasties/hot sausage rolls, toasted crumpets/bagels/muffins etc. Any bright ideas please.... x

AnnieM
20-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Cheese on toast, homemade soup (and if they need to take it you could put it in a lidded cup and ask them to bring it back tomorrow, or a polystyrene cup), savoury muffins, cheese scones, mini hotdogs, filled potato skins (mine love these with cheese, bacon ad chives), potato wedges and dip.

Joannechildmind
20-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Essexgirl whereabouts in Basildon r u?

I live in Pitsea.

gemhei
20-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Mine love making their own soup. We also have sweet potato wedges with dips (kids love to dip). For halloween im planning some pumpkin wedges or you can even make these into soup too!

Other faves are buttered crumpets, Toasted fruit tea cakes, Hot chocolate with marsh mallows, Warm fruit pies or cheese rolls. :)

katickles
20-10-2009, 03:01 PM
I was going to suggest different wedges & dips too :D

Also you could still do sandwiches but make them into toasties. That was you can do loads of different flavours & types, paninis etc :D

mama2three
20-10-2009, 04:55 PM
how about pakora , bhajis , spring rolls ? and pancakes are a favourite here too.

essexgirl1967
20-10-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks for all the ideas, am not working next week ( half term) so am aiming to spend some time printing out meal plans, etc. Like the idea of soup but feel its a no no because of the kids making mess down the front of uniforms. Have been 'moaned' at before now when sending home messy school age kids as lots don't seem to have spare sets of uniform, and obviously are too old for bibs! I'm in Lee Chapel South, near the hospital so very close to you if you fancy meeting up sometime x

gegele
20-10-2009, 06:04 PM
eggy bread with a sprinkle of sugar hhmmmmmmmmmmm:clapping: :clapping:

babs
20-10-2009, 07:27 PM
how about pakora , bhajis , spring rolls ? and pancakes are a favourite here too.

this made me hungry......:D off to raid the freezer

Maguiresmonkeys
20-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Pitta pizzas- mine love making them- very quick and easy, the usual- crumpets, tea cakes, soup, toast, pasta, mushypeas and mint sauce, hot tomatoes filled with cheese, toasties, eggs and soldiers, veggie sticks and melted cheese dip, fajitas.......mmmmmm gosh Im sooooo hungry now.....mushypeas and mint sauce for supper me thinks!!:laughing:

TheBTeam
20-10-2009, 07:38 PM
thanks for all the ideas, am not working next week ( half term) so am aiming to spend some time printing out meal plans, etc. Like the idea of soup but feel its a no no because of the kids making mess down the front of uniforms. Have been 'moaned' at before now when sending home messy school age kids as lots don't seem to have spare sets of uniform, and obviously are too old for bibs! I'm in Lee Chapel South, near the hospital so very close to you if you fancy meeting up sometime x

Give soup in a cup, this stops a lot of the mess!

miffy
20-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Soup and a sandwich (yummy) or hot chocolate and toasted fruitbread are firm favourites here

Miffy xx

suez
20-10-2009, 07:40 PM
didnt think any1 else had eggy bread with sugar lol yummy!!!!!!!!