PDA

View Full Version : ncma journals

kingdom
20-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi I am considering buying an ncma journal for my full time children. What do you all think of these, will they make my life easier or are they a bit of a waste of money. Thanks for your opinions.

Roseolivia
20-10-2009, 07:59 AM
My opinion, waste of money. I bought one when i started minding and didn't like it. Just buy a hard backed notebook, you can write much more in these and they're cheaper.

haribo
20-10-2009, 08:12 AM
waste of money in my opinion too . i have 2 of them here unused i just use notebooks now too . ive wasted so much money buying stuff thats unecessary :rolleyes:

Mouse
20-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I was given one by another cm who bought it, but she didn't use it.

I did use it, but to be honest, prefer the notebooks that I buy and haven't ever bothered to get any more.

huggableshelly
20-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I've not used or seen one but an ex cm used them all the time and said she couldnt manage without them.

another cm bought them as recomendation and decided to stick to note/scrapbooks.

grindal
20-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I do use them as I was given them when I joined my local network - but to be honest an A5 notebook would be just as useful. All they have is a page at the front with spaces to write name, tel no, allergies and likes and dislikes, a few pages of waffle about how to use a journal. The rest of the diary is divided into 2 days per page and every 7 pages there is a page with what we have done so far and what we are gonna do next. They are quite expensive too - certainly would not bother buying them!

Blaze
20-10-2009, 10:38 AM
IMHO - Complete waste of money - I bought an A4 diary & use this to write notes in...more space & a lot cheaper - but still professional looking IYSWIM!:thumbsup:

Chanelle
20-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Absolute waste of money. Not even worth looking at! They are plain with small spaces inside. I have 2 here not used too !

Get a lovely pretty book with patterns on :)

Hanabana
20-10-2009, 01:02 PM
i got mine off ebay so didn't pay the full amount and can see why it was for sale! ditto everyone else, i haven't started minding officially yet but could make something better than that!

miffy
20-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I've seen them but don't use them - they're expensive for what they are and, as others say, a notebook is just as useful

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
20-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Have had one sitting under my bed for around 3 years, didn't think it looked the best way to record stuff, so prefer a5 notebooks where I can format it how i like.

cheeky monkeys
20-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I do use them as I was given them when I joined my local network - but to be honest an A5 notebook would be just as useful. All they have is a page at the front with spaces to write name, tel no, allergies and likes and dislikes, a few pages of waffle about how to use a journal. The rest of the diary is divided into 2 days per page and every 7 pages there is a page with what we have done so far and what we are gonna do next. They are quite expensive too - certainly would not bother buying them!

I do use them and actually find them useful. The part of every 7 pages (every 14days/3 weeks with a F/T) Reminds me that I need to do a full observation with the child. And this is where I let the parents know how well their child is doing and the next steps. For a F/T child the book lasts for about 11 months and this helps to see where the childs development has gone in this time....How long do your note books last??? And how many note books do you go through in 11 months??

Blaze
20-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I go through 1 every year & write any reminders re obs that need to be written myself - to fit in with the children in my care's hours - to answer your Q.:)