PDA

View Full Version : Which journals/diaries for which ages?

Little Poppets
19-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice, as I'm slightly confused! :(

I'm newly registered - so not yet had my first Ofsted inspection, however have met with my Development Worker.

I have 3 children registered with me - age 4 (but at school so counted as age 5) age 8 and age 10. All are part time (4 and 8 before and after school mon & tue, age 10 as and when required just after school).

I'm aware that I would need to do a learning journey journel for any younger mindees that I take on - i.e 0-4 to show that I am implementing EYFS, but I'm not sure if I should also be doing this for older, part time children?

Also what about daily diaries? Do I have to do these for older, part time children too?

Development worker said I should maybe 'practise' doing a learning journey for my youngest mindee (age 4) but I'm not sure if this would just be a waste of time if I don't actually have to do one..... I'm not lazy - just unsure whats expected of me!

I hope my question does not seem stupid, I'm a bit embarrassed as I feel that I should maybe know this already!

Any help/advise would be greatly received as I really don't want Ofsted to visit and I don't have the correct paperwork/records in place relating to this :panic:

Thanks....

Limara
Little Poppets Childminding

sarah707
20-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

I don't usually do diaries once children can tell their parents what they've been up to... but I do understand what your DO is talking about... it would give you practice.

At the same time though they are not really rocket science :rolleyes: and you can clearly, by your post, string a sentence or 2 together :laughing: so I wouldn't worry over much about it!!

Little ones in eyfs - yes - learning journals.

Older ones in my house have a scrap book which they pretty much take charge of themselves. They take photos of things they've done and stick them in and add comments, glitter and sparkly things as appropriate themselves.

The boys often don't want to do anything and that's fine, their choice, the stuff is there for them to use if they wish.

Ofsted will not be coming to inspect your care of the older ones, just that you meet the requirements of the Childcare Register.

It's the children in the Eyfs that your inspection will be based around.

Hth :D

Little Poppets
20-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks Sarah - thats great! Really appreciate your guidance and advice :)