PDA

View Full Version : Any1 with 4yr olds in reception!!

carebear25
19-10-2009, 08:36 PM
How much is child doin at school an wat work is comin home.

My mindee has reading books each day but they have no words in them just pictures an he has to make up his own story... He does get a mathmatical task to do each week but that is it!

My neice who is a different school is gettin words to learn and write out as she learns them. Also on readin books wit rhymin words.

My next doors daughter is gettin a different letter each day to learn and her reading books have words in she is also sat at the gold table in class so she is bein given more than others..

Mindee is not by any means behind infact he is quite good at things... Shud I b doin more with him when he is wit me. At moment we r just relaxin and colouring goin 2 parks feedin animals an havin tea.

:)

angiemog
19-10-2009, 08:41 PM
My little nephew brings home high frequency words used in Oxford Reading tree, and sounds. The class is learning a new sound each day but I had already taught him all of them when he was at nursery. He doesn't bring home any books until he has learnt by sight the 1st set of words, and the next two sets of words by sounding them out!
However I have the Oxford books here so he has started reading them anyway. He has only started bring home 'work' the last 2 weeks.

nannymcflea
19-10-2009, 08:46 PM
All schools are different and like all childminders and nurseries under the early years they should be working to each individual as much as possible. Theres no right or wrong but coming towards the end of the year they will start doing more formal stuff to get them ready for year 1. It's early days yet so let the fun continue.:D

Daddy Day Care
19-10-2009, 09:04 PM
My daughter is 4 and in reception,

She gets 1 library book a week to read at home.

She has reading books which she is expected to go through 2/3 a week which have no words like you said. She does like these but they are only like 6 pages long and theres not much she cna say about them.

And on a friday she gets setn soem letters home, last 3 weeks shes ahd 4 different letters to prasctise over the weekend and to put togethe rto make words.

Shes loves doing this, ive got to admit i did expect more hoemwork, but then i think after half term they might start comming home with more to do.

Gareth
xx

The Juggler
19-10-2009, 09:41 PM
in my experience of reception all of the above are normal. it depends on the child. some children are just starting with their letters and some already writing short words. the teachers tend to work at the pace of the children (in a good school anyway). if they are sending lists of words home before they can write letters - not so good.

picture books and a maths game sound perfect for one who is four!

carebear25
19-10-2009, 09:52 PM
:) Thanks every1 for comments, i was just amazed at how different the 3 schools are and i didnt wanna get him 2 run before he cud walk an make him do more learning afta a full day when sumtimes i pick him up he is asleep on classroom floor (bless)...

I will carry on as we r doin he is happy that is main thing :)

Chanelle
19-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I have a 4 yr old who brings home a reading book, which has pictures, no words.

She also has 'bookmarks' which has some basic words sounds on. She has this changed once she has learnt each of the words.

They are used as a starting block for reading and really are a great way to introduce reading.

She also has a weekly challenge, might be counting blue cars over 10 mins, etc ... draw a picture of Mr Man etc ... simple tasks to introduce homework/challenge.

Hope this helps :)

singlewiththree
20-10-2009, 06:03 AM
My 4 yr old is in reception but she could already read some words so I complained at the picture book and she comes home with weekly

1 - word story book
1 - library book she has chosen
1 - sounds book with a different letter in
1 - word sheet with 6 keywords she has to learn
1 - Jolly phonics sheet for that week

Its exhausting as I have an 8 yr old as well who has homework and as they go to their dads some weekends then its hard to get it all done.

cuffleygirl
21-10-2009, 11:08 AM
My son is 4 and in reception and could read well on starting school and is gifted at numeracy - all of this is clearly detailed in his learning journey.

School sent home single letters (he used these to make words and learnt to spell them forwards and then backwards) school also told me to practice counting to ten - he counts to thousands for fun (geek!).

I told school they weren't stretching him and at the same time my quiet little boy starting playing up in class. On working with him the teacher found what I had said and his learning journey are correct he is now stretched at school often working with year one and he is behaving himself too. Half a term is long enough to assess if you're concerned they aren't stretched enough talk to the teacher and go from there. Some children need more than others and in my experience schools often work to the baseline focusing on special needs at the lower end of the spectrum and forget about the top end.

The Juggler
21-10-2009, 01:13 PM
My son is 4 and in reception and could read well on starting school and is gifted at numeracy - all of this is clearly detailed in his learning journey.

School sent home single letters (he used these to make words and learnt to spell them forwards and then backwards) school also told me to practice counting to ten - he counts to thousands for fun (geek!).

I told school they weren't stretching him and at the same time my quiet little boy starting playing up in class. On working with him the teacher found what I had said and his learning journey are correct he is now stretched at school often working with year one and he is behaving himself too. Half a term is long enough to assess if you're concerned they aren't stretched enough talk to the teacher and go from there. Some children need more than others and in my experience schools often work to the baseline focusing on special needs at the lower end of the spectrum and forget about the top end.

Totally agree. school need to work at the level of the child and that can be such a wide chasm in reception year. as long as you feel it's right for your child that is OK.