PDA

View Full Version : help needed.

chewy sweets
19-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Would anyone be willing to email me or pm me an example of their weekly and monthly accounts. I know it's cheecky but i have No idea what i'm doing. I started working in August and haven't completed a single weeks accounts yet! :panic:

I keep putting it off! I was never good at maths and figures in school and the thought is filling me with dread! I know so many people on the forum say how simple it is to do but this just makes me feel even more thick! :blush:

Am really struggling and even thinking i don't know if i can be self employed if the accounts side is going to worry me so much!

Any help or advice would be fantastic!!!:clapping:

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 06:45 PM
mine isnt online but in the SCMA accounts booklet...

if you want I can scan in a page I dont really mind nothing secret there anyways...

will try and do it tonight so I can pm/mail you with it.

in the meantime I am happy to answer any particular questions you might have...I have only done cm for a while but worked in accounts for lots of years before...so maybe I can be of some help!

chewy sweets
19-10-2009, 06:47 PM
The thing that's really puzzling me is how you work out the amount to put down for food and drink per day per child!!!

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 06:55 PM
what I do is the following (and some people do set amounts per day but I personally dont like it that way):

I take my receipts and I take off anything that is not cm related

then I make one column for all ars/crafts etc...or miscellaneous things...

then I am left with x amount for food expenses.
I have kids here all week for breakfast lunch and dinner.
So I put down half of the expenses as personal (we are 3) (so they dont get entered into accounts) but the other half is my food expense (for 4 kids)
the reason I use half is that although kids eat less they are more and also my dp doesnt eat lunch in the house so I reckon it evens itself out pretty well iyswim
I do this with all receipts for the week and so come up with a total weekly food expense ...
I do all these calculations in a joter type thing and attach all the receipts to it...that way if I have an inspection I can hand this over to the tax man and he can see exactly how I have arrived at all the amounts.
The items entere into the accounts book get numbered from 1 upwards each week (so each week starts with 1 again) but I am cross-referencing my receipts to it...so for example week commencing 19th of october will have a receipt for my trip to tesco which will be number 1 (written on the receipt and into the accounts book) this might be OTT but I like it all in order..:blush:
I do not enter it per day per child individually.

I think that way it is probably more accurate and especially now to begin with I really want to see how much I am spending on everything.

not sure this is helpful...but this is what I do

ChocolateChip
19-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Everyone does it how it suits them I think. Some work out every meal by portion cost, some keep separate cm food reciepts, personally I have worked out a rough cost of what each average meal costs and tot up the amount of meals I have served that week, eg 12x b/f at 50p = 6.00, 10 x toddler lunch at 75p = 7.50, 8x cooked teas at 1.50 = 12.00, total for week = 25.50 .
It sounds complicated but I just keep tally in my diary for every week, it doesn't take 2 mins (I also put in snacks aswell in case you were wondering) and for me it's easier than trying to separate reciepts :D

manjay
19-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Everyone does it how it suits them I think. Some work out every meal by portion cost, some keep separate cm food reciepts, personally I have worked out a rough cost of what each average meal costs and tot up the amount of meals I have served that week, eg 12x b/f at 50p = 6.00, 10 x toddler lunch at 75p = 7.50, 8x cooked teas at 1.50 = 12.00, total for week = 25.50 .
It sounds complicated but I just keep tally in my diary for every week, it doesn't take 2 mins (I also put in snacks aswell in case you were wondering) and for me it's easier than trying to separate reciepts :D

I do it this way too. I check every month or so by going through a weeks shopping receipt to check my costings are still realistic. For everything else I use an accounts package that does all the work for me.

tulip0803
19-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I've pm'd you xx

Pudding Girl
19-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I keep it seperately, well kind of, at the checkout I put minding stuff on the belt first, then get them to subtotal it before I put my own stuff through. then at accounts time I don't have to work out daily amounts, simply put the actual cost of the things bought for mindees food and drink in.

Minstrel
19-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I'd recommend the NCMA accounts book. Its excellent and explains it all really simply.